• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Monday 11 April

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Stargate Adventure

Back to sci-fi again this week with this game set in the Stargate universe.

One of the most common things in the early days of AGS was unfinished Monkey Island rip offs. People would rip graphics, sound, anything they could and then give up when they realised that even still making a game is actually, you know, quite hard. There haven’t been a huge number of games based on existing IP (for copyright reasons alone I would expect) and certainly not that many good ones, however this one fits into that category (and does not feature ripped graphics etc.)

It’s only fair to say that while I saw Stargate (the film) however many years ago, I haven’t ever watched the TV series so I can’t comment on that. I also had a little trouble getting the game to run smoothly on Win 10 recently so haven’t properly played it in years.

There is a lot of good stuff to say about this game. Graphics are strong from the intro onwards, the interface is great and the dialogue system is a kind of Broken Sword 1 or 2 job (can’t remember which one had the choice icons at the bottom).

Gameplay wise, the game has something of a feel of “The Dig” about it. Puzzles are definitely OK, not too hard but not too simple.

The one thing that is “ripped” in this game is the soundtrack, which I believe is an edited version of the film or TV soundtrack. In case anyone is concerned about copyright issues in as far as this post and website goes, firstly you will note that there is no download link nor recommendation to download the game, merely a reference to a game that somebody else has made. Secondly is the fact that this is a post made by a member of these forums but entirely without the blessing and/or knowledge of the site or any staff members. Anyway, for all I know it could have had the full backing of whoever owns the Stargate IP/soundtrack! Laughing  OK, backs covered I hope. Wink

If you’ve never seen Stargate then this game is likely to be confusing from the start, but if you even vaguely recall the film that would be enough backstory and world knowledge to allow you to enjoy it.

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

I must confess that I am a bit of a sucker for Stargate, and have watched not only the original movie, but also the Stargate SG1 series and both of the spin-off series Stargate Atlantis and Stargate Universe. In fact I will claim that Stargate is kind of the Star Trek of the 90’s and 00’s, with the original movie being the equivalent of the original Star Trek series, SG1 being Next Generation, Atlantis equivalent of DS9 and Universe being very similar to Voyager.

As you can imagine then I will absolutely have to give this game a try Wink

Oh, and based on the screenshot, then I would say that the game is based on the SG1 series, and not the movie, as neither Teal’c nor Samantha Carter is in the movie (I assume the third character in the screenshot is Jack O’Neill).

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Hmmm, maybe I have seen some of the TV series then because I definitely knew Teal’c from somewhere! And it is indeed Jack O’Neill.

I’m not sure when the TV series was on (in the UK at least) but I guess it must have been before 2005 as that is when the game was made!

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Intense Degree - 11 April 2016 11:58 AM

I’m not sure when the TV series was on (in the UK at least) but I guess it must have been before 2005 as that is when the game was made!

Oh yes, I don’t know when it was aired in the UK, but the SG1 series started already in 1997 and ended in 2007.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 5599

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I’m a Stargate fan as well, but after seeing the movie, I was so disappointed in the cast changes for the tv series that I didn’t watch it at first.  However, I caught up via reruns and have also seen the spinoffs.  The game looks like it would be fun to play.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 683

Joined 2010-02-05

PM

Iznogood - 11 April 2016 10:01 AM

In fact I will claim that Stargate is kind of the Star Trek of the 90’s and 00’s, with the original movie being the equivalent of the original Star Trek series, SG1 being Next Generation, Atlantis equivalent of DS9 and Universe being very similar to Voyager.

Except for SG1 being funny, filled with action, and Next Generation was slower paced.
Also, Universe being a boring drama fest, while Voyager was more fun.

Your analogy is just fine.

From what I recall the game is pretty good, and is definitely based on SG1. I think it was from the Anubis era.

I Am the Knight of the Order of the Sun!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top