• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

CaliMonkNico2021

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Friday 15 January

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Casual Friday

During the Adventure Game of the year threads a few Nancy Drew games have popped up. Some have been favorably reviewed by people contributing to the threads.

This may or may not be accurate, but by my best count there have been 23 Nancy Drew adventure games introduced since the first one in 1998. (There are counts out there that say there are 30. But I’m not sure if those also count the casual games, plus ports to various consoles. So, I’m sticking with 23 for the time being.)

While far fewer in number, there are also a few casual Nancy Drew games. BFG has four available. I haven’t located any more than the four it lists.

The above screenshot is from Nancy Drew Dossier - Resorting to Danger. (The Dossier in the title distinguishes it from the adventure games in the series.)

Unlike many casuals, this one is quite bright and colorful throughout. While it is classified as a hidden object game, there are actually very few classic hidden object screens in the game. It is a point-drive game. You collect points for things as varied as the speed at which you disable bombs, to how many rats you can collect, at 250 pts each, in the basement. The puzzles aren’t too difficult, but they do require some serious thought to solve. There are also some logic puzzles that will require you to bring out pencil and paper. All in all, it is a very clever game with a decent story.

Both genres are primarily marketed to girls. While I understand that completely, it does both genres a disservice.

If you can get past the idea that you’re a middle-aged guy playing a game designed for teen-aged girls, the games are thoroughly enjoyable. Think of it as getting in touch with your feminine side!

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I have played nearly all of the 31 Nancy Drew ‘adventure’ games & yes! there really are that many Tim that don’t include those made for the Casual market to which I confess to not having played any!

The screenshot & description today seems interesting but I don’t know whether I want to entertain a Casual version of an established AG series - I felt the same way about the CG offerings following the Art of Murder & Chronicles of Mystery AGs.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

First, Sorry everyone that my screenshot is a little off-center. Don’t know what happened. Both the original shot, and the one that is stored on Imgur seem just fine.

Chrissie - Yes, I am surprised that there are that many. That’s an average of six games/year. That rate is unusual even for a casual series. As far as I know Grim Tales is the only casual series that ever managed to put out four games in a year. And the drop off in quality started to show.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

rtrooney - 15 January 2016 06:35 PM

Chrissie - Yes, I am surprised that there are that many. That’s an average of six games/year. That rate is unusual even for a casual series.

They started back in 1998, so that’s 2 games/year. Not that unusual, imo.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I’ve played two Nancy Drew Dossier games—Lights, Camera, Curses (finished this one) and Resorting to Danger (got about halfway through). I don’t remember them being Hidden Object games at all. They have more limited environments than the usual Nancy Drew games, less dialog, and slightly different gameplay. I thought they were both very good casual games.

Tim—what are the other two Nancy Drew casual games (you mentioned that four ND casuals are available at Big Fish)?

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Becky - 16 January 2016 08:38 AM

Tim—what are the other two Nancy Drew casual games (you mentioned that four ND casuals are available at Big Fish)?

Warning at Waverly Academy was one. The other, as I rechecked, was only for a strategy guide.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

rtrooney - 16 January 2016 09:33 AM
Becky - 16 January 2016 08:38 AM

Warning at Waverly Academy was one. The other, as I rechecked, was only for a strategy guide.

Warning at Waverley Academy is actually 1 of the 31 Adventure Games in the series Tim & not a Casual Game.  Smile

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Well, that means that the two that Becky mentioned may be the only ones. I’m not sure why BFG is selling Waverly. But then they sold ECC.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

rtrooney - 16 January 2016 02:52 PM

Well, that means that the two that Becky mentioned may be the only ones. I’m not sure why BFG is selling Waverly. But then they sold ECC.

Tim, if you look under the PC > Adventures on BFG you will find quite a lot of Adventures listed amongst the Casuals which include most of the ND Adventures, The Last Express, Safecracker, Sinking Island, Agon, Nibiru, Syberia 1 & 2 & Nikopol to name just a few! They used to be easier to find as they were listed under ‘large file’ games - except for a couple of them you can’t play a demo 1st though!  Smile

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Undoubtedly true. But if you hit PC/Hidden Object and scroll down to Nancy
Drew, Waverly is there. I refuse to be held accountable for BFG’s clerical error!  Smile

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

rtrooney - 16 January 2016 04:13 PM

Undoubtedly true. But if you hit PC/Hidden Object and scroll down to Nancy
Drew, Waverly is there. I refuse to be held accountable for BFG’s clerical error!  Smile

Oh yes, I see! There also seems to be a few Adventure Strategy Guides that don’t belong in that section either so very misleading!!  Laughing

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top