• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day -  Tuesday, 11 August

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Do you know what’s better than sitting at the sunny sea beach, drinking cocktails and not having one worry in the world while listening to the wave splashes? Sharing a seat by your computer in a dark room with a friend, partner… drinking beer and playing Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons. One of you two, who is smaller in size, more agile, will naturally take the role of the younger brother, and you’re gonna party like it’s 1999 because so much “hot-seat” fun hasn’t been seen since Heroes of Might & Magic 3.

But yeah, you can play it alone and exercise every bit of your brain coordination functionality. Grin Also, anyone wished for a more of that “gibberish” language? Just when I thought I’m getting the hang of it… (still, I’m one of the few people who thought Machinarium would be even better with occasional speech Tongue )

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

This game took me by surprise. I played it solo first, then with a partner. I didn’t mind the “gibberish”—what the brothers were communicating between themselves was always clear. Though now that I think about it, more complex conversation with NPCs would have added even more story depth.

I’ll always remember the ending. I empathized tremendously with the father, [spoiler]who had no control over the way things unfolded.[spoiler]

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

How do you co-op this game? Sharing a keyboard/controller?

Total Posts: 2989

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

The horrid controls sucked any joy I could have from the storyline. Playing the game in my keyboard was a real torment most of the time especially where dexterity and precision was needed.

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I even got a controller mostly for this game but my son kinda hijacked it to his LEGO games. So I still haven’t played this game.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

wilco - 11 August 2015 04:41 PM

Yes, one person on the controller, the other on the keyboard.

Total Posts: 415

Joined 2007-12-29

PM

yes, I agree Sefir.  The horrid controls sucked any joy for me too.  The option to only save when you got to a certain point was so terrible.  It took me forever to get up that lift/elevator thing because with the keyboard it would only go up in little increments.  but, I couldn’t save until after that terrible hour of doing that, and then I gave up on playing.  I bought the game as I had heard so many good things about it, but, the controls killed it for me.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

This game is pretty amazing, and very touching (especially in the end when the older brother dies, and you use the other stick to give the younger brother the drive to go on. ).

As far as the controls go, this game is not meant to be played on a keyboard, just like lots of adventure games feel awkward with a controller. I invested in an old wired XBOX 360 controller, and it works extremely well with most new PC games, so you guys should try using that.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Becky - 11 August 2015 05:19 PM

Yes, one person on the controller, the other on the keyboard.

That’s interesting because the console version doesn’t allow co-op I think.

About the controls there is a reason still has the warning up:

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Sefir - 11 August 2015 04:49 PM

The horrid controls sucked any joy I could have from the storyline. Playing the game in my keyboard was a real torment most of the time especially where dexterity and precision was needed.

I agree, I gave up on it after about an hour of playing it.

It might be easier with a controller, and it might be that it was only meant to be played with a controller, and I already knew that when I bought it (cheap on a sale).
But the simple truth is, that having to turn a crank around to raise / lower an elevator, is simply horrible gameplay!
It doesn’t matter whether your are pressing buttons on a keyboard or moving a controller stick around in circles, it is still a terrible idea, and it should immediately be thrown in the same garbage bin where QTE belongs.

I could have lived with the less than ideal keyboard controls, if there was anything in the gameplay that interested me, but there wasn’t, it was all about turning cranks and other similar boring stuff.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Yeah, it’s also possible for two players to play on the same keyboard Smile - one is playing on WASD keys, and the other on arrow keys Wink I really had no troubles that way, and it felt so unique to play an adventure game with somebody on the same keyboard, joining your ideas in “synergy” as you meet with the challenge - and the ingenuity is that there’s only one action key for each brother, but you never know what will it be used for! A groundbreaking concept to me, and a proof that adventures CAN be multiplayer. Smile

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top