• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

DaleDinahPence

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Friday, 17 July

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Casual Friday

Shiver - Poltergeist is a strange little game. There is more than a little terror, horror and general creepiness. But there is also a bit of romance thrown in for good measure. Strangely enough, it works.

In the introduction we leaern that you, the protagonist, have been slaving away at a dead-end job for more years than you can count. One day you receive notice that you are the very distant, but nevertheless last surviving relative. And, thus, are first in line to inherit the family island off the coast of England. That ought to break the monotony.

Upon arrival you are greeted by the island’s sole living inhabitant. He is not particularly cheerful, nor helpful. You are pretty much on your own when it comes to exploring your new estate. Despite the efforts of the caretaker, or, perhaps because of the lack thereof, you find the estate in serious disrepair. Although in fairness, the above seen room looked pretty good until you entered it. Then one, or more, poltergeists decided to have at it. (Side note: Poltergeist is a germanic-derived word that essentially means ghost. Seeing that all the action takes place on an English island, why wasn’t it titled Shiver - Ghost?

The estate is, of course, haunted. But not by one, but by three individuals who once formed a love triangle in the early 1900s.

Your goal is to find out who did what to whom, right the wrongs, and reunite the pair that should have been together.

Compared to the length of the game, which is quite long, the number of HO scenes is not a problem. The puzzles are not all that easy, but they are fair. Except for one. I swore that when I replayed this game to grab the above screenshot, that I would solve the puzzle without the benefit of a walkthrough. I was unable to do it. Drats!

Note: I posted a bit earlier than usual. Tomorrow, Friday, is a fairly busy day. And tonight is fairly busy prepping for tomorrow. Sorry if things got a little crowded AGSotD-wise. I’ll be better behaved next week.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 343

Joined 2012-03-13

PM

I have this game and for some reason haven’t played it yet. Your description has now moved it up on my list.

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

The game is quite spooky though I don’t remember any intense horror, and the grounds and mansion are intriguing to explore. I remember being glad that I bought the CE, as the SE ending is abrupt.

Total Posts: 495

Joined 2008-07-23

PM

I like the graphics style, it`s a little more “serious” than in many other hidden objects games, I should give it a try.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Becky - 17 July 2015 10:32 AM

The game is quite spooky though I don’t remember any intense horror, and the grounds and mansion are intriguing to explore. I remember being glad that I bought the CE, as the SE ending is abrupt.

I guess that depends on what you consider horror. Are you afraid when you are about to open a door? Does opening that thing in the floor in the out building inspire fear?

To me fear, terror, horror does not always equate with the jump out of your skin effect.

It’s the anticipation that you might be scared even if you’re not.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

rtrooney - 17 July 2015 11:20 PM

To me fear, terror, horror does not always equate with the jump out of your skin effect.

It’s the anticipation that you might be scared even if you’re not.

Dread is a powerful feeling. Cool

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

You made me go back and analyze what I mean when I say “intense horror.” To me, that’s a game with frequent jump scares or scenes with overly gory images—lots of blood, bodies in tortured poses, moments of violent madness. I don’t like this because it makes me feel manipulated. Kind of hard to explain.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I’m not sure I know of too many casual games that would fit that description. I can certainly think of several AGs that do. The one currently being played in the AGCPT fits the bill. Maybe I think of fear and dread as being equivalent to terror and horror.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top