• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

walas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Sunday 14 June 2015

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

You know what? I thought Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade was GOOD! It’s not Fate of Atlantis in terms of epicness and original story, sure, but it was a decent effort at a time for “translating” the popular movie into a classic adventure game, that paved the way for one of the best games in the genre. The game grabbed me from the start, and that Venice puzzle was nicely “converted” into a game. Just a quick tip - if you haven’t watched the movie yet (yeah, like that can happen) play the game first - you’ll save yourself of few “spoilers”, because many puzzles are the “recreation” of the movie (for example, Indy “gets around” the students right at the beginning in the exact same way like in the film).

I thought it was even more “cartoony” than “Atlantis” (thus, it features on Sunday) mainly because of locations’ brighter and more prominent primary colors in DOS version.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

It’s been years since I played it but remember having a good time with it mainly because of how faithful it was to the movie.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Yeah, I agree it was actually a quite good game, not as good as Atlantis, but still a game that I enjoyed playing.

I must admit that I don’t really remember that much from it, but I do remember crawling out of the window in the beginning, and having a good laugh about it, mainly because it was the exact same thing as in the film.

I’m however not sure about the scene in the screenshot, didn’t they change it so it is slightly different and more complicated than in the film?

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Some people need to take off their rose-tinted glasses and replay the game. The first half is good (especially the catacombs), but everything after that (the castle and its 12 billion conversation puzzles, the zeppelin…) is pretty awful. No wonder Ron Gilbert decided it was time to reinvent the adventure genre after he made that game.

(Also, there’s a much better way to deal with the students in the beginning. Tongue )

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Iznogood - 14 June 2015 09:38 AM

I’m however not sure about the scene in the screenshot, didn’t they change it so it is slightly different and more complicated than in the film?

Also had that feeling so I went to check a playthrough, looks like X doesn’t mark the spot in the game.

But the metal post is still there Smile

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

diego - 14 June 2015 07:15 AM

You know what? I thought Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade was GOOD! It’s not Fate of Atlantis in terms of epicness and original story, sure, but it was a decent effort at a time for “translating” the popular movie into a classic adventure game, that paved the way for one of the best games in the genre. The game grabbed me from the start, and that Venice puzzle was nicely “converted” into a game.

I agree. It may have a few frustrating sections (I’m looking at you, zeppelin ‘maze’), but it was still a fun game.
Still one of the weaker efforts in the LucasArts catalogue, though.

Just a quick tip - if you haven’t watched the movie yet (yeah, like that can happen) play the game first - you’ll save yourself of few “spoilers”, because many puzzles are the “recreation” of the movie (for example, Indy “gets around” the students right at the beginning in the exact same way like in the film).

There are alternate solutions that don’t use the method of the movie, probably for everything, so it doesn’t matter so much. And there are some things that make more sense if you HAVE seen the movie (what to do when facing Hitler, for instance).
Meh, watch the film first. It’s awesome, and it’ll give you that extra level of recognition if you see how they recreated things in the game. Plus you’ll notice and actually get all the movie references.
Except Charles the Plant, that’s a Maniac Mansion nod to Chuck the Plant. Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

TimovieMan - 17 June 2015 06:13 PM

There are alternate solutions that don’t use the method of the movie, probably for everything, so it doesn’t matter so much.

Yeah, but still, I fear players are like that - going the easy route Tongue I know I was immediately looking for window in that students puzzle. Smile

TimovieMan - 17 June 2015 06:13 PM

Meh, watch the film first.

Well, it certainly won’t hurt that much. And I actually agree that seeing the movie first is sometimes a significant incentive for enjoying the game. It’s also interesting how the game was released, not months, years… after the movie, but days after it. So I’m sure plenty of computer geeks played the game without seeing the movie. Wink

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top