• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

GabrielseagulSefir

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day — Thursday 4 June 2015

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Sudden urge to Point and shout, don’t we all have it?

Ace Attorney and Professor Layton were the most popular and biggest adventure game series on the NintendoDS so a crossover was always something with a certain degree of expectations. Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney came out last year in the West and didn’t disappoint and as a fan of both series (more of PW) I was satisfied, the game managed to merge both gameplay styles and had some solid comic writing. To newcomers of both series I don’t think it’s really recommended to start here.
Also might mark the end of the Professor Layton series as we know it since the it’s changing into some form of card/RPG for iOS now.

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

I didn’t like the game that much. I don’t think the two series can mesh well. They both tend to feature outlandish events, but whereas the PW games are all about figuring out a sensible explanation for those events, the Layton games “resolve” them with mind-bogglingly outlandish and idiotic “explanations” (They’re all robots! It was all a dream! It’s a subterranean recreation of an entire city with hundreds of paid actors!).

That was my main problem with this game: in the courtroom sequences, you’re trying to figure out what’s going on, but, while that’s OK for the minor mysteries, the overall solution is so Laytonesque and idiotic that it spoils all the fun of trying to find it.

Ultimately, I guess what I’m saying is that, while the gameplay was more or less 50/50, the story was pretty much all Layton in style, and not only did that make for a bad story, it ruined part of the PW gameplay.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Kurufinwe - 04 June 2015 07:16 AM

Is it the 5th already? Tongue

Smile, false start

I agree with you that the typical outrageous Layton ending was too much but I mostly liked the characters interactions and most of the court stuff. A lot of it was about disproving the witchery and I think that worked for both series.

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I still haven’t tried either of these series even though I should have. Phoenix looks kinda sexy with the apron.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

I just love the witch trials. It fit the setting of the game, introduced a variation to the tried and true Phoenix Wright interrogation sections, and was just hilarious. Oh and definitely THIS

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

millenia - 04 June 2015 09:42 AM

I still haven’t tried either of these series even though I should have. Phoenix looks kinda sexy with the apron.

You should DEFINITELY try Phoenix Wright. It is up there as one of the best adventure games ever. Professor Layton is more of an acquired taste, though I enjoy it personally a lot, but no where as good as Phoenix Wright in my humble opinion.

Total Posts: 5837

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Thanks wilco for the screenshot & info! - I’ve seen scenes from both the Phoenix Wright & Professor Layton games & from those they did strike me as having slightly different graphical styles? As such I was quite curious as to how the two protagonists? could meet in a game! I don’t have handheld device of any kind (although did play Cape West on my sister’s DS) & was hoping you might eventually tempt me to buy one!    Smile

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

SoccerDude28 - 04 June 2015 12:13 PM
millenia - 04 June 2015 09:42 AM

You should DEFINITELY try Phoenix Wright. It is up there as one of the best adventure games ever. Professor Layton is more of an acquired taste, though I enjoy it personally a lot, but no where as good as Phoenix Wright in my humble opinion.

This. Try it, but be sure to start from the first PW.

chrissie - 04 June 2015 01:56 PM

Thanks wilco for the screenshot & info! - I’ve seen scenes from both the Phoenix Wright & Professor Layton games & from those they did strike me as having slightly different graphical styles? As such I was quite curious as to how the two protagonists? could meet in a game! I don’t have handheld device of any kind (although did play Cape West on my sister’s DS) & was hoping you might eventually tempt me to buy one!    Smile

Yes, art styles are different, I’m far from an expert but I would say the Layton games have more of a European cartoon style and the Phoenix Wright games a more traditional anime style. They do mesh pretty well in the game. The new characters from this game are kind of a mix from both styles I think.

I do hope you’ll try these games in the future, be sure to get a 3DS if you’re ever interested since you’ll be able to play all DS and 3DS games that way (and it’s a big library)

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

SoccerDude28 - 04 June 2015 12:13 PM

^ This.

chrissie - 04 June 2015 01:56 PM

I don’t have handheld device of any kind (although did play Cape West on my sister’s DS) & was hoping you might eventually tempt me to buy one!    Smile

If anything should convince you to buy a DS, then the first three Phoenix Wright games should be it. Wink

Still have to finish Azran Legacy, and then Dual Destinies and then this. The 3DS has gone a bit on the backburner for me, though… Frown

On the plus side, you can’t believe how happy I am that handheld games will be featured more often on the AGSotD again. Cool

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Layton and Maya look alright but Phoenix looks like an Italian baker or something.

I will probably decide whether to get a 3DS (heavily discounted) when it’s close to being obsolete, like I did with the DS. It was worth it for the DS with all the adventures but the 3DS doesn’t seem to have as much focus on them right now.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top