• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Veovis

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

A quick question/complaint about the Quest for Glory series

Total Posts: 359

Joined 2012-02-16

PM

So with all the hubbub surrounding Hero-U, I decided to finally give the Quest for Glory series a spin, starting with the first one (VGA). I chose a thief and did whatever I needed to do (avoiding all fights) to get to a point of the game where (trying not to spoil too much) I need to get a door unlocked. Picking the lock accomplished, all I needed to do is just open the door. Easy, right? Use hand on the door. Imagine my surprise when the game told me my thief didn’t have enough strength to open the blasted door! WHAT?!

This constraint is absurd, completely artificial and feels like it’s been tacked on to inflate playing time (and maybe highlight those notorious RPG elements). I can increase strength by fighting monsters (even though fights are ridiculously clunky and twitchy) but that smacks of grinding. Anyway, I have better things to do with my time so I felt compelled to stop playing the game at that point.

So this was my complaining. As for the question, I am wondering if the other QfG games have similar issues?

And, yes, I do understand that the QfG games are supposed to be adventure-RPG hybrids. In fact, I quite enjoyed the way the game allowed the use of different skills to solve puzzles. But having to train an out-of-class attribute so my character can open a single door is entirely unacceptable to me.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

what door is this exactly?
im guessing… this is the secret entrance to the brigrands. Does it make a difference if you speak the secret words or use the key? Otherwise, the strength requirement is probably quite low.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

If this is the door near the minotaur, you should be able to climb the wall.

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

It’s been so long since I played the first game, I don’t really remember about that door. Unless it’s one of those giant metal doors that would require an x-bashing sequence even for Kratos, then I agree. But that part about climbing the wall sounds right. There’s usually a different solution for each class.

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Joined 2012-02-16

PM

Oscar, Dag, the door does offer several different solutions - you can pick the lock, (presumably) use a spell, or solve a puzzle involving a secret meeting, but climbing is out of the question (my character doesn’t even attempt to climb when instructed). The door in question is the secret entrance to the brigands hideout and I haven’t seen any minotaurs yet.

zane - 23 November 2012 03:57 AM

what door is this exactly?
im guessing… this is the secret entrance to the brigrands. Does it make a difference if you speak the secret words or use the key? Otherwise, the strength requirement is probably quite low.

Yup, that’s the one and, no, using the real key or picklocking and speaking the secret words or not makes no difference with opening the door…

I am pretty sure I am done at this point but my question mostly concerned the following four games. Given that no one has offered an answer, should I infer that no one has stumbled upon such frustrating artificial obstacles in them?

Total Posts: 19

Joined 2012-09-25

PM

That door is very near the endgame, and therefore requires more skill points than earlier tests. The skill check there is to make sure you are properly prepared for the final encounters. There are many ways to increase your strength in the game - for example, climbing, fighting, throwing.

Skill levels in Quest for Glory are designed to “gate” your game play.  If you just breeze through everything without working to improve your skill, you aren’t in the spirit of the young adventurer who is trying to become a hero.  In any role-playing game of the era, your character would die horribly if you got to that phase of the game without “leveling up” first.  In Quest for Glory, you improve skill points instead of gaining levels. If you haven’t bothered, you can’t solve skill-based puzzles.

There is of course an entirely different solution to that puzzle that requires no Strength, but does require solving an adventure game puzzle.

1990’s adventure games were designed to be played over a period of weeks or months, with hints very difficult to obtain.  Quest for Glory was designed in that slower-paced time.

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

The multiple ways to solve a puzzle is one of the things I liked about Quest for Glory. I do remember having to practice climbing a bit, I scaled the tree outside the Healer’s several times and that took care of it. Way easier and quicker than grinding.

I am pretty sure I am done at this point but my question mostly concerned the following four games. Given that no one has offered an answer, should I infer that no one has stumbled upon such frustrating artificial obstacles in them?

Yes, there’s stuff like this in the later games, but none of it frustrated me to the extent that this one seems to have frustrated you. Frown

Like Corey said, there’s always an alternate solution.

Joined 2012-02-16

PM

Corey Cole - 01 December 2012 02:10 AM

That door is very near the endgame, and therefore requires more skill points than earlier tests. The skill check there is to make sure you are properly prepared for the final encounters. There are many ways to increase your strength in the game - for example, climbing, fighting, throwing.

Skill levels in Quest for Glory are designed to “gate” your game play.  If you just breeze through everything without working to improve your skill, you aren’t in the spirit of the young adventurer who is trying to become a hero.  In any role-playing game of the era, your character would die horribly if you got to that phase of the game without “leveling up” first.  In Quest for Glory, you improve skill points instead of gaining levels. If you haven’t bothered, you can’t solve skill-based puzzles.

Many thanks for the reply! It’s a great honor to get an answer from the game creator himself. Also, congratulations on raising the money for Hero-U in that nailbiter of a kickstarter! Thanks for the tip regarding strength training - I didn’t know climbing and throwing helped.

And I figured that the only probable explanation for the strength check at that door is to make sure that the character is entering the endgame sufficiently prepared. However, I do question the necessity for this. It’s not like I didn’t take pains to develop my skills but I concentrated on the thief abilities only. I figured that it must be possible to beat the endgame with my thieving skills (or with wizarding skills if I were a wizard or even just by solving some adventure game puzzles, independent of skill levels) rather than relying on strength. Because otherwise, what was the point of having different classes in the beginning if by the end everyone is supposed to have a fighter-level strength?

There is of course an entirely different solution to that puzzle that requires no Strength, but does require solving an adventure game puzzle.

fov - 01 December 2012 11:23 AM

Like Corey said, there’s always an alternate solution.

I would be more than eager to hear it! It does seem that there are a ton of ways to get the door unlocked but are there really multiple ways to open it? Or is there a way around it?

1990’s adventure games were designed to be played over a period of weeks or months, with hints very difficult to obtain.  Quest for Glory was designed in that slower-paced time.

Well then, you can say I played it in true 90’s style when it comes to hints. Grin Unfortunately, I did speed through the game. It must be the stressful and hectic zeitgeist of the 21st century. Wink

fov - 01 December 2012 11:23 AM

Yes, there’s stuff like this in the later games, but none of it frustrated me to the extent that this one seems to have frustrated you. Frown

‘Tis a pity…

Total Posts: 19

Joined 2012-09-25

PM

Well, I *thought* that if you use the password, the Troll moves the rock for you, but that might be incorrect.  If so, that would be a design or implementation bug - It really should work.  (If it doesn’t, my only excuse is that HQ was our first computer game.)

The other solution involves having a high Sneak skill, coming in the front way, timing when you move past the bush so you don’t get spotted, then climbing the wall.  But sneaking in the back entrance certainly seems more rogue-like.

Joined 2012-02-16

PM

Corey Cole - 02 December 2012 03:16 AM

Well, I *thought* that if you use the password, the Troll moves the rock for you, but that might be incorrect.  If so, that would be a design or implementation bug - It really should work.  (If it doesn’t, my only excuse is that HQ was our first computer game.)

The other solution involves having a high Sneak skill, coming in the front way, timing when you move past the bush so you don’t get spotted, then climbing the wall.  But sneaking in the back entrance certainly seems more rogue-like.

I will have to try this out. Smile I really appreciate your taking the time!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top