You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Best Sierra Adventure Games?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2008, 11:50 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collector View Post
Then you have a tremendous treat in store for you.
If I could get my hands on em´
Old 12-01-2008, 09:40 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiocfaidh View Post
If I could get my hands on em´
The PQ, SQ, KQ and LSL series were re-released and can be found very cheaply. Some of the others in your list can be found on eBay for not much money.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:30 PM   #43
i like cookies

shivers 1 & 2 (wut can i say...im a puzzle h00r)
phantasmagoria 2
gabriel knight 2
phantasmagoria 1
gabriel knight 1
gabriel knight 3
torrins passage lol

(i dun really consider dr brain an adventure game)

ive never played any of the kings quest/police quest/space quest
and prolly wont ever .___.
Old 12-02-2008, 03:41 AM   #44

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaek View Post
ive never played any of the kings quest/police quest/space quest
and prolly wont ever .___.
Can I ask why?
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 12-02-2008, 03:50 AM   #45
SSH
Super Scottish Hero

It shows how much I dislike Sierra when I say that my favourite game of their that I've played is Phantasmagoria 2....

On the other hand, I've only played AGS remakes of LSL2, LSL3, QFG2, KQ1&2 and the original Shivers. I have vague memories of starting a GK, but I'm not sure which one.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:22 AM   #46

I have noticed that often when people say they dislike Sierra games it turns out that they have played very few and usually when they were fairly young.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:34 AM   #47
Dread Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSH View Post
On the other hand, I've only played AGS remakes of LSL2, LSL3, QFG2, KQ1&2 ....
Whoa! I had no idea there was a LSL2 remake. Just googled it and found the download link, so thank you. I couldn't find anything on the LSL3 remake, though. Any idea if it's still out there for download?
Old 12-02-2008, 10:43 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapter11studios View Post
Whoa! I had no idea there was a LSL2 remake. Just googled it and found the download link, so thank you. I couldn't find anything on the LSL3 remake, though. Any idea if it's still out there for download?
http://www.bigbluecup.com/games.php?action=download&game=356

Graphically it´s identical t the original version.
But they incorporated a point & click interface.
I had fun with the game
Old 12-02-2008, 02:14 PM   #49
SSH
Super Scottish Hero

Quote:
I have noticed that often when people say they dislike Sierra games it turns out that they have played very few and usually when they were fairly young.
Errr, surely if you find you don't like the games by a particular set of people you're not likely to keep buying them are you...? It's like saying that "I've noticed that people who don't like nails being driven into their eyeballs actually have very few nails in their eyeballs."

And given that the Sierra games were published in the 80s/90s, then most 20/30-somethings (a large proportion of gamers) will have been quite young then...
Old 12-02-2008, 02:35 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSH View Post
Errr, surely if you find you don't like the games by a particular set of people you're not likely to keep buying them are you...? It's like saying that "I've noticed that people who don't like nails being driven into their eyeballs actually have very few nails in their eyeballs."

And given that the Sierra games were published in the 80s/90s, then most 20/30-somethings (a large proportion of gamers) will have been quite young then...
Well, in many cases I think it's certain elements that people don't like. For example, the text parser interface of the early Sierra games. And the fact that for many people, this particular element will have a very negative effect on you if your language isn't english natively.

I haven't played through even 10% of Sierras games, but I like those I've played. The only reason I don't play the others is because when I was young, I had no qualms about using a walkthrough to play through them - but today I don't like using walkthroughs at all. Not to mention, I hate the aspect of dying in adventure games (thank god that element at least is somewhat extinct) - especially when it's as random as in a lot of Sierra games. I feel I get punished for wanting to explore and try things.
Old 12-02-2008, 03:49 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonBlue View Post
I hate the aspect of dying in adventure games (thank god that element at least is somewhat extinct) - especially when it's as random as in a lot of Sierra games. I feel I get punished for wanting to explore and try things.
That is exactly an assumption frequently made by people who don't have played a lot of Sierra games. One thing is the dead-end and one other is the actual death of the character.

Aside from the earlier game (KQ1-3, LSL1, PQ1), where the actual death scenes could occur at random, death is never a random thing in Sierra's titles. It's always quite clear when and how you're getting the chance to die, so that you can easily save before entering the dangerous situation. A good example comes from that little masterpiece, PQ2: Sonny Bonds - and dozen of police backup - are cornering a very dangerous suspect, capable of kidnapping, drug dealing and murder; in the end, they succeed and reach his motel room, where he may have imprisoned a woman... The entire situation is screaming: SAVE, 'cause here you can get in serious trouble, so saving would be wise.

On the other hand, the dead end can be more tricky, I admit it. But, also in this case, we're talking of their very early games (the AGI engine games, to speak clearly), 'cause in the latter the risk of reaching potential dead-ends decreased enormously. Even the so-bashed KQ5 has only one nasty, unpredictable, unforeseeable, surprising dead-end, whilst KQ6 hasn't any. The three Gabriel Knight games don't have dead-ends either, nor Phantasmagoria. The forth Police Quest - as LSL6 and 7 - don't have any as well. Freddy Pharkas, as far as I can remember, can reach an unwinnable situation only at the very beginning of the second chapter, but only if the player is really slow. And so on...

To shorten the subject, random death and insidious dead-ends were common only in the very first Sierra games, and not in each and every one of them.
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Last edited by AndreaDraco83; 12-02-2008 at 04:11 PM.
Old 12-02-2008, 04:27 PM   #52

Ironically though, those are some of my favourites.

I'm a big fan of LSL series and PQ1-3. In LSL2, forgetting some items will get you to a dead end a bit later in the game. Also, going to sleep in your own cabin is hazardous for your health. Why? Because you share it with a fat chick? Stuff like that doesn't exactly encourage you to explore.

PQ2, not sure if it's even hinted at that you need to adjust the aim on your gun. But if you don't, you'll have a hard time later in the game progressing. You WILL die. LSL5 - don't degauss the tape, you'll be in trouble and have to restart/reload an earlier save. LSL3 - don't bring a bottle of water, and you'll die in the maze. Forget the magic marker, and you'll never see the ending.

Select the wrong dialogue option in any of the Dynamix games (Willy Beamish, Rise of the Dragon, Heart of China), and it's game over (it's A Part Of The Sierra Family).Things like these are not very encouraging.

But I wasn't going to defend the Sierra haters or anything. Just pointed out that people may have played quite a few Sierra games, and some aspects were simply not for them.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:06 PM   #53
i like cookies

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaDraco83 View Post
Can I ask why?
it was before my time

i got my first pc in '95
jus in time for shivers 1&2, gk2 and phas1&2
(i actually didnt play gk1 until last year, followed by a re-play of gk2, and now currently playin gk3)

torrins passage was my first adventure game evar and i fell in wuv ^__^

i dunno if i can stomach the old games lol

i wouldnt mind playin kq6 or sumptin
but i hate jumpin in a series in the middle
id feel obligated to go thru 1-7 in order

oh....and i was 10yrs old when i played phas2 0__o lol
no wonder im so messed in teh head @__@
Old 12-02-2008, 10:04 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaek View Post
it was before my time

i got my first pc in '95
jus in time for shivers 1&2, gk2 and phas1&2
(i actually didnt play gk1 until last year, followed by a re-play of gk2, and now currently playin gk3)

torrins passage was my first adventure game evar and i fell in wuv ^__^

i dunno if i can stomach the old games lol

i wouldnt mind playin kq6 or sumptin
but i hate jumpin in a series in the middle
id feel obligated to go thru 1-7 in order

oh....and i was 10yrs old when i played phas2 0__o lol
no wonder im so messed in teh head @__@
English, please.
Old 12-03-2008, 03:04 AM   #55

Quote:
English, please.
Politeness. Please.
Old 12-03-2008, 05:32 AM   #56

A "please" sound enough polite to me. It's true that for me - I'm not an English-native speaker - is sometimes really hard to understand what Snaek is writing.

Old 12-03-2008, 05:43 AM   #57

Quote:
Ironically though, those are some of my favourites.
Aside from LSL5, you mention only AGI games which were, like I said in my previous post, more prone to dead ends and deaths.

Quote:
PQ2, not sure if it's even hinted at that you need to adjust the aim on your gun.
If I'm not mistaken, your chief officer clearly invites you to adjust the gun's aim. By the way, Police Quest always relied on the correct police procedure, so it just made sense.

Quote:
Select the wrong dialogue option in any of the Dynamix games (Willy Beamish, Rise of the Dragon, Heart of China), and it's game over (it's A Part Of The Sierra Family).Things like these are not very encouraging.
In this regard you're totally right. I'm not a fan of Dynamix games, and that's just one of the reasons (the other is the clunky interface).

Quote:
Just pointed out that people may have played quite a few Sierra games, and some aspects were simply not for them.
Few Sierra games, and maybe the very first ones. Because, as we stated, the SCI games were a lot less unforgiving. I have to agree with Collector: sometimes, people bashing Sierra never played a lot of their games, and usually the early ones when they were pretty young.

Old 12-03-2008, 07:12 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaDraco83 View Post
A "please" sound enough polite to me. It's true that for me - I'm not an English-native speaker - is sometimes really hard to understand what Snaek is writing.
Well, please doesn't make it any more polite really. If I said, "shut the fuck up, please", would that be polite? Anyway, it sounded more like mocking imo, but that could just be my paranoia.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:18 AM   #59
Dread Pirate

Quote:
Well, please doesn't make it any more polite really. If I said, "shut the fuck up, please", would that be polite?
Well, it would be polite-er.
Old 12-07-2008, 03:50 PM   #60
Codger

The only true dead end I've found in a Sierra game was in Shivers 1. Even there, it took an extraordinary amount of bad luck to find yourself a situation from which there was no escape other than to go back to a prior save and start over.

Death in the early Sierra games was often frustrating. Typing in two seeminly identcal phrases could have totally opposite results. In KQ1 if you typed in "Push Rock" you were rewarded with a dagger. Type "Pull Rock" and it rolled over you killing you instantly. I found myself saving before I did anything. At times it seemed as if I was spending more time saving the game than playing the game. And given the limited number of SaveGame slots one occasionally had to make choices that would be regretted later.

While they were great games, I can see how a person could come to "dislike" Sierra games if his or her only exposure to same was during the text parsing days.

Last edited by rtrooney; 12-08-2008 at 07:01 PM.