You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Best Sierra Adventure Games?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2008, 10:39 AM   #21

Oh did she help write Police Quest 3? I didn't know that!

That explains why it's my favourite in the series, then.
Old 10-22-2008, 12:45 PM   #22
LA-S-LE

yes, PQ3 is still one of the best detective adventure games, with a touching love story. only Jensen and Marx managed to bring such emotions to Sierra games. maybe that's why Gabriel Knight along with King's Quest 6 & Conquests of the Longbow are among (not only) my favs.
Old 10-23-2008, 03:29 AM   #23

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

Quote:
Originally Posted by laffer View Post
Oh did she help write Police Quest 3? I didn't know that!
She is credited as the only writer. Given that Jim Walls didn't overlook the whole production of the game (he was on the verge of leaving Sierra) I wouldn't be surprised if she did more than writing it.
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 10-23-2008, 04:37 AM   #24
3rd person fanatic :)

Space Quest 6 - The Spinal Frontier is my farorite amognst sierra games.
Old 10-25-2008, 05:21 PM   #25

Quest for Glory Series and the Gabriel Knight Series. As a matter of fact, I'm actually currently playing the QFG2 Remake.
Old 10-26-2008, 04:32 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBird View Post
This is one that I don't actually see very often, since the game seems a bit neglected by the hard-core fans.

Care to tell us why is SQ6 your favorite? I think it can be interesting. Also for me: I'm in the midst of SQ3 and I'm looking out for every opinion of further games.
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Old 10-26-2008, 05:12 PM   #27
Codger

This particular topic has been beaten to death in other threads. But Ill give it my best shot, again!

Amon Rah
FPFP
GK 2&3
Shivers 1&2
GK5
Old 10-26-2008, 08:24 PM   #28

I love Sierra games...(old version of the company) I just remember loving it so much, that I would read their newsletter or catalog and be so excited for the new games. Heck, even calling that tips hotline phone #...heck, I was looking at all my 5 1/4 and 3 1/2 Sierra disks and was wondering if I should keep them or not.

But there are too many games that I enjoyed!!! Beat most of them but there is one I own...haven't beaten.. Sierra game called "Lost in Time", "Inca" and haven't beaten "Gabriel Knight III" yet...Loved the FMV for II so much that playing GKIII was not the same but contemplating just playing it again to beat it.

Last edited by kndy; 10-26-2008 at 08:49 PM.
Old 11-04-2008, 11:28 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBird View Post
I'd like to know why you like it as well. I played Space Quest 1-4 when I was younger and love the series, especially 4. I just played 5 and loved it. Now I'm playing through 6 and can't stand it. I'm at the beginning and there's just no direction.

There's a really boring arcade game that has no point. I've found a few items but I don't know why I need them or what I even need to do. I hope it picks up soon.
Old 11-29-2008, 04:06 AM   #30

Default Little Big Adventure

I loved playing this game and I am a bit surprised that nobody seems to mention it among the best adventure games.
Old 11-29-2008, 06:06 AM   #31
Dread Pirate

My top 10 Sierra games, roughly in this order:

10. Freddy Pharkas
9. Space Quest 2
8. King's Quest 4
7. Dagger of Amon Ra
6. King's Quest 6
5. King's Quest 7
4. QFG 1 (EGA)
3. QFG 4
2. Gabriel Knight 1
1. QFG 2 (EGA)
Old 11-29-2008, 06:50 AM   #32

That's interesting! KQ7 before KQ6 is something I've rarely seen! Can I ask you why?

Old 11-29-2008, 07:41 AM   #33
Dread Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaDraco83 View Post
That's interesting! KQ7 before KQ6 is something I've rarely seen! Can I ask you why?
I like KQ6 a lot (obviously) and freely admit that by nearly every measure it's a "better" and more epic game, but I actually enjoyed playing KQ7 a little bit more.

For one thing, I think Rosella makes a better protagonist than Alexander and I was thrilled to see her return as a playable character. KQ4 with Rosella was the first game I ever bought, so she'll always have a special place in my heart.

I also think KQ7 is the most gorgeous game in the series, the puzzles are a little easier (KQ6 is a tad *too* hard, IMO, whereas KQ7 I solved without a walkthrough), and alternating characters by chapter (and then ending each chapter in a cliff hanger) really gave it that storybook feel that I think the series had always strived for.

Every once in a while my wife or I will still blurt out, "A troll!? I can't be a troll! I'm not a troll!"

So, while KQ6 overshadows it in many ways, and definitely has more fans, for pure enjoyment I prefer KQ7. But I love them both (nearly) the same.
Old 11-29-2008, 09:38 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninka View Post
I loved playing this game and I am a bit surprised that nobody seems to mention it among the best adventure games.
Little Big Adventure?? First it is not a Sierra game, plus it is not even an adventure game, but more of an arcade game.
Old 11-29-2008, 10:25 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapter11studios View Post
I like KQ6 a lot (obviously) and freely admit that by nearly every measure it's a "better" and more epic game, but I actually enjoyed playing KQ7 a little bit more.

For one thing, I think Rosella makes a better protagonist than Alexander and I was thrilled to see her return as a playable character. KQ4 with Rosella was the first game I ever bought, so she'll always have a special place in my heart.
I actually liked KQ4. A lot. And maybe the reason I love KQ6 so much is because I also adore KQ3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapter11studios View Post
I also think KQ7 is the most gorgeous game in the series, the puzzles are a little easier (KQ6 is a tad *too* hard, IMO, whereas KQ7 I solved without a walkthrough), and alternating characters by chapter (and then ending each chapter in a cliff hanger) really gave it that storybook feel that I think the series had always strived for.
Gorgeous: yes. Easier: yes. And the alternating chapters are a favorite storytelling device since GK, so I totally agree with you, even if the epic of KQ6 conquered me like KQ7 didn't manage to do.

Old 11-30-2008, 05:25 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collector View Post
Little Big Adventure?? First it is not a Sierra game, plus it is not even an adventure game, but more of an arcade game.
OK, I stand corrected. A great game, anyway.
Old 11-30-2008, 10:06 AM   #37

Haven´t played yet:

Eco Quest 1 & 2
Freddy Pharkas
Kings Quest 3, 4, 6, 7
Manhunter 1 & 2
Police Quest 3 & 4
Phantasmagoria 1 & 2
Quest For Glory 2-5
Shivers 1 & 2
Space Quest 6
Torins Passage
"Hires Adventures"
+ various stand-alone games

pretty much

My Top 10 Sierra games

Gabriel Knight 1-3
Space Quest 5
Police Quest 2
Conquest Of The Longbow
Leisure Suit Larry 6
Leisure Suit Larry 1 (VGA)
Gold Rush !
Colonel´s Bequest

If "Kings Quest 2" VGA would be a Sierra title it definately would make the Top 10
Old 11-30-2008, 05:19 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiocfaidh View Post
Haven´t played yet:

Eco Quest 1 & 2
Freddy Pharkas
Kings Quest 3, 4, 6, 7
Manhunter 1 & 2
Police Quest 3 & 4
Phantasmagoria 1 & 2
Quest For Glory 2-5
Shivers 1 & 2
Space Quest 6
Torins Passage
"Hires Adventures"
+ various stand-alone games
Then you have a tremendous treat in store for you.
Old 11-30-2008, 05:37 PM   #39

Best in the Larry series: LSL3
Best in the Police Quest series: PQ1. PQ2 comes pretty close - if not on the same level. PQ3 had too many faults to compete with the other two, but still great. For example, driving was horribly annoying - and not fun like in the first game. Also, the shootout at the end was badly executed.
Best in the King's Quest series: KQ6 (only one I've played for longer than ten minutes)
Best in the Gabriel Knight series: GK3

If you count Dynamix adventures: Willy Beamish, but only because I've played through 85-90% of them, as opposed to 10-15% of the other two (Rise of the Dragon and Heart of China). But I still dream about completing all three some day.
Old 12-01-2008, 04:43 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonBlue View Post
Best in the Larry series: LSL3
Agree. Totally.

Quote:
Best in the Police Quest series: PQ1. PQ2 comes pretty close - if not on the same level. PQ3 had too many faults to compete with the other two, but still great. For example, driving was horribly annoying - and not fun like in the first game. Also, the shootout at the end was badly executed.
You're certainly right about the technical faults and the driving sequences (which were really annoying), but the storyline is so good and grim that I can't help but choose this one, with PQ2 as a very close second.

Quote:
If you count Dynamix adventures: Willy Beamish, but only because I've played through 85-90% of them, as opposed to 10-15% of the other two (Rise of the Dragon and Heart of China). But I still dream about completing all three some day.
Willy Beamish really wasn't my cup of tea, and the timed sequence with the bat (if I remember correctly) drove me away from it. As for the other games, I've to play them too! At least, just for the sake of completion!