You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Japanese adventure games

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2007, 04:57 AM   #21
Freeware Co-ordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terramax View Post
WHOA! Dont' try buying Snatcher for the Sega CD. The actual copy of the game starts at something like £60! (at least $100). EDIT: I know technically roms are illegal depending who owns the rights, but considering the game has not been published for over 15 years and not re-released any time since, as I've checked, I think it's ok to mention this option. Forgive me if I'm wrong.
Roms are a form of abandonware (albeit one that requires an additional program to run) so they are covered by the abandonware rule per the FAQ. As you're not posting a link to the roms (which would definitely be out) and this is a one-off thing I don't see it as a big problem but I think we'd rather avoid wholesale promotion of roms.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 12-23-2007, 06:58 AM   #22

narcissu is not a game at all, there are no choices. it is JUST an emotional story. if you like to read and you're interested in seeing someone tell a story using that medium, then yes, get it, it's free. if you're looking for games it won't do you any good.

Like I said, I never played Kana, I can't really say whether it deserves people saying it's a good story or not. Some people like being made to cry.
Old 12-24-2007, 02:19 PM   #23
One for the road?

The Nintendo DS is the console of choice for Japanese adventures. Unfortunately, there is almost zero chance of a western release for most of them.

I am currently playing:

The Misshitsukara no Dasshutsu (if you visit the official site, you can try two of the cases for yourself. Skip the intro and click on the fifth menu option on the lower part of the screen; it has the word "new" just above it.)

Death Note

and Tantei Kibukawa Ryosuke Jiken Dan: The Masquerade Lullaby.

My limited grasp of the Japanese language probably hinders my ability to fully enjoy the storylines of such games, but it isn't that hard to muddle through.
Old 12-25-2007, 05:34 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXJ View Post
Clue
1,SNES game that revolved around a murder.
2,played as a police officer or a private eye.
3,the first murder took place at either a harbor or a canal of some sort.
4,it seemed to break the nintendo mold.
5,released in the west or fan translated rom

humm.....is this really SNES game? not NES?
as for japanese SNES game...
夜光虫(a noctiluca) http://www.athena-game.co.jp/yakogb/ygb.html this is a gameboy transplanted screenshot.
Thanks for grabbing the issue mate. I'm almost entirely certain it was a SNES game. Been thinking back since I made that post and I'm pretty sure it was a rom I played and not a cartridge which unfortunately makes it even more difficult with the whole fan translation projects.

It wasn't the game you linked though but that looked interesting in itself. I believe there was quite a lot of conversations where you would interview witnesses and so forth, in that regard it reminds me of phoenix wright but as far as I can recall there wasn't any element of humor at all.
Old 12-28-2007, 08:57 AM   #25

Okay, I wanted to update on the games I've chosen:

1. Snatcher (sega CD)

Terramax: thank you for the advice! Luckily, I did not need to use a rom because I found out that someone from my university owns the original CD.

This game was ... incredible! I can't believe I've never heard of it before, and I really recommend it to anyone who can get his hands on it! It is very easy and linear, but I actually find it an advantage as it allows the plot to flow. The atmosphere and the way the story is told is simply amazing.

I also found that there is a fan-made translation for Policenauts which is supposed to be almost finished and to be released early next year, so I really can't wait now.

2. Kana Little Sister

Okay, I guess this is as low in the "interactivity" scale as a game can get. Basically, the story is told, mainly through dialogs (which you do not control), and once a while you get an option (sort of a "choose your own story" style play). However, these option thingies are VERY scarce - during the first hour of gameplay, I was only given about 2 options, and they both seemed like they would not change the story much (for example (minor spoiler),
Spoiler:
one of the options was which book to give my sick sister - it was a choice between 3 books, and the book I've chosen wasn't mentioned in any way, at least for as along as I've got in the game so far
).

I didn't get to any hentai scenes yet (although I've played it for a pretty long time - I'd estimate 7-8 hours). However, there is something bizzarely perverted about some of the options I get

(for example (minor spoiler):
Spoiler:
My sister starts crying and I get the option to either console her, or to grab some private part of her body. If I choose the second, the brother just says "oh, oops, sorry", and the game continues exactly the same as if I've chosen "console her"
)

The story is okay but nothing spectacular so far. The graphics are also not very good, and are given a pretty minor emphasis, the text taking the dominant role.

I'll probably continue playing it, but just wanted to give my first impressions.

(Ever17 is on its way, but I haven't received it yet)

By the way, I just wanted to really thank again everyone for recommending the games. I'm really surprised every time I find out about some awesome game that existed for a long time but that I've never heard about (like snatcher. the same happened for me with sanitarium). If you have any other recommendations, I would really love to hear them!
Old 12-28-2007, 10:38 AM   #26
handsome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matan View Post
I also found that there is a fan-made translation for Policenauts which is supposed to be almost finished and to be released early next year, so I really can't wait now.
Really?

Niceeeeee!
Old 01-07-2008, 07:57 AM   #27
XXJ

Quote:
WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN?
In Yu-no, the hero of this game traveled many Parallel universes and solve the mystery which hero's father left.
These complicated graphs and differential equations of wikipedia, explains Parallel universes.

Yu-no is old game, first released in 1996, but this game is still considered as great adventure game by many gamers.
I often wonder why this game is still not translated to other languages.

Quote:
I also have a notion of japanese being a very hard and practically impossible-to-learn language. Is this true?
Japanese language is written with a combination of three different types of scripts.

So.....umm......yes. I thik Japanese is difficult language to learn.
But,there are a lot of games which still not translated in English especially adventure game genre.
So, I think it is worth to learning japanese.

Quote:
I still am curious about the japanese adventure game genre. How popular are these "visual novel" games there?
This is VEEEEERY difficult question for me. I don't know about this genre well like you. And as japanese,I don't proud of these games.
Frankly speaking I don't want to answer this question.
But you live in Israel and don't know japanese langage.
So OK, I'll try to answer.

Today, I went to used gameshop near my house.
There are big Bishōjo game section.
All games above red line are bishojo game for man.
and games put between red line and blue line are for women.(yes, there are also female gamer who loves to communicate to virtual boys.)
Because there are a lot of this kind of games, I assume that this genre is pretty popular in Japan. But this is not enough answer.
Because all games are PS2 platform.(transplanted from PC version)

1,Japanese game market (main game culture)

Though PC is not usually used for game, there are one genre which occupies most of Japanese PC game market; Eroge(anime-style often contains Nudity,Hentai-games)

2,Otaku game market (subculture)
In Japan, there are quite unique subculture;Otaku culture. Otaku people loves Anime,Comic,Game,Anime-Figurine and Internet.
And Otaku culture made many unique (and eccentric) inventions.
Visual novel type Eroge is one of their invention.

In Japanese PC game market,most of share are occupied by Eroge.
These people who loves Eroge often loves internet.
So, maybe you would have seen a lot of Eroge gameplay or screen shot in Youtube or somewhere in internet.
But generally, in real life, the number of people who loves this genre is not many, I think.

3.Types of eroge
Most of them take Visual novel or Adventure game style.But there are also simulation, action and RPG style. School life love affair theme is often used in this kind of game.
This English page explains well about History of Eroge.

4,Why this genre is popular in Japan
I DON'T KNOW.
culture? taste? It's a mystery to me.

5,conclusion
Anime-style visual novels are mainly played by limited people;Otaku people.
But some of them are transplanted to Console game, so not-otaku people also can plays this genre.

Well, that's all.
My explanation is enough,Matan?
Do you understand it?

Sound Novel games

Last edited by XXJ; 01-08-2008 at 08:53 AM. Reason: Because I am writing now.
Old 01-09-2008, 12:59 AM   #28
Freeware Co-ordinator

Looks like you put a lot of work into that XXJ. Thanks for the info. I might follow up on the links to find out more some time.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 01-09-2008, 03:31 AM   #29

Quote:
Well, that's all.
My explanation is enough,Matan?
Do you understand it?
Wow, thank you for all that info! It was very interesting to read.

I find it really bizzare how the market is different in Japan than in Israel, especially that DS and Wii take such a large share of the market! Here in Israel, all game stores are divided into two halves - one half PC, one half PS2. The only places that sell DS games are kids stores (I had to order the Phoenix Wright and Cing's games online...)

Quote:
So.....umm......yes. I thik Japanese is difficult language to learn.
But,there are a lot of games which still not translated in English especially adventure game genre.
So, I think it is worth to learning japanese.
I have actually started learning a bit of japanese now, from audio tapes. Right now, I mostly know how to say "I don't speak/know/understand/talk japanese" in a million different ways
Still, it's fascinating how different this language is from any other language I know
Old 01-10-2008, 04:44 PM   #30
full of tricks

Hi, first time poster here.

A friend asked a similiar question in finding a game similiar to Phoenix Wright, and i started to compile a list for him. I'm going to post the list in a few moments. There are some games already mentioned here, but I'm just gonna post them anyway. I know you already played Phoenix Wright and Snatcher, but I'm gonna leave them for reference, maybe for other people as well.

I'm also aware about visual novel pc games, but I'm gonna try and focus more on the 'mainstream' stuff that were mainly released for consoles and handhelds.

The list is basically Japanese adventure games that are available in english, and I know I'm missing a few

**THE FOLLOWING POST DOES NOT CONTAIN ANY LINKS TO ROMS OR ISOS. DO NOT ASK FOR ANY**

Recommend scale:* / ** / *** / **** / *****

//RELEASED GAMES
--Games that have been released in the west

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (aka Gyakuten Saiban)
Developer: Capcom
Genre: Mystery/Detective
Platforms: GBA (JPN), DS (JPN, US, EU)
Recommend: *****
Notes:
- The game was originally released for the GBA in japan. The DS game was essentially the same, but with an extra story that utilises the DS touch screen a bit more.
- The English translation has a lot of spelling and grammar mistakes, the same goes for the 2nd and 3rd game.

Ace Attorney: Justice for All (aka Gyakuten Saiban 2)
Platforms: GBA (JPN), DS (JPN, US, EU)
Recommend: ****
Notes:
- Some new features, but plays pretty much the same

Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations (aka Gyakuten Saiban 3)
Platforms: GBA (JPN), DS (JPN, US, EU[tba2008])
Notes:
- Nothing new in gameplay, just another good story

Another Code: Two Memories (aka Trace memory)
Developer: Cing
Genre: Mystery, Puzzle
Platforms: DS (JPN, US, EU)
Recommend: ***
Notes:
- The game is a bit more puzzle oriented than the rest. Most of the puzzles use the DS features quite well. But the game is a bit short.

Hotel Dusk Room 215
Developer: Cing
Genre: Mystery/Detective, Puzzle
Platforms: DS (JPN, US, EU)
Notes:
- Like Another Code it has puzzles, but there's lot more emphasis on character interaction in this one.

Snatcher
Developer: Konami (Hideo Kojima)
Genre: Sci-Fi/Cyber Punk, Thriller
Platform: NEC-PC (JPN), MSX (JPN), PC Engine (JPN), Sega CD (US, EU), PSX (JPN), Saturn (JPN)
Notes:
- This game is god. Play it if you haven't already.

The Space Adventure - Cobra: The Legendary Bandit (aka Cobra II: Densetsu no Otoko)
Developer: Hudson Soft
Genre: Sci-Fi
Platform: PC Engine/Turbo Grafx (JPN), Sega CD (US, EU)
Recommend: N/A (Not played it)
Notes:
- Looks a lot like Snatcher!
- Based on the 'Cobra' manga/anime series by Buichi Terasawa.
- Contains some nudity

Touch Detective
Developer: BeeWorks
Platform: DS
Notes:
- Average game, apparently

Touch Detective 2 1/2
Developer: BeeWorks
Notes:
- Not so much diferent from the first game

Last edited by Trickless; 01-11-2008 at 05:32 PM.
Old 01-10-2008, 04:50 PM   #31
full of tricks

//FAN TRANSLATED GAMES
--Games only available in Japan, but have been translated by groups

**FOLLOWING LINKS ONLY HAVE TRANSLATION PATCHES. DO NOT ASK FOR ROMS OR ISOS.**

Bubblegum Crash - Knights Saber 2034
Developer: Naxat Soft
Genre: Sci-Fi/Cyberpunk
Platforms: PC-Engine/Turbo Grafx (JPN)
Translation Patch: v1.0(Complete) http://www.pcedev.net/translations.html
Notes:
- Not too sure if it's a re-telling of events of the Bubblegum Crash anime, but I did enjoy Bubblegum Crisis so will check this game out soon

Crystal Dragon (aka Suishou no Ryuu)
Developer: Squaresoft
Genre: Sci-Fi, Fantasy
Platforms: Famicom Disk System - NES (JPN)
Translation Patch: v1.0(Complete) http://www.romhacking.net/trans/657/
Notes:
-

Famicom Detective Club 2: The Girl in the Back
Developer: Nintendo
Platforms: NES (JPN), SNES (JPN), GBA[NES port](JPN)
Translation Patch: SNES trans v1.0(Complete) http://www.romhacking.net/trans/850/
Notes:
- The game is very linear, but the story is so engrossing you just won't care.
- The story is set before the events of Famicom Detective Club, which unfortunately has yet to be translated by anyone.

Phantasy Star Adventure
Developer: Sega
Genre: Sci-Fi, Fantasy
Platforms: Game Gear (JPN)
Translation: v1.0(Complete) http://www.romhacking.net/trans/62/
Recommend: **
Notes:
- It's not that bad, but the music was annoyingly repetitive . Story wise I don't think it has any connection with the other phantasy star games.

The PORTOPIA Serial Murder Case (aka PORTOPIA Renzoku Satsujin Jiken)
Developer: Enix (Yuji Horii)
Platforms: NEC-PC6001(JPN), NES (JPN)
Translation Patch: NES trans v1.0(Complete) http://www.romhacking.net/trans/764/
Notes:
- Apparently it's the first adventure game for the NES.
- By Yuji Horii of Dragon Quest fame.

Radical Dreamers
Developer: Squaresoft
Genre: Fantasy
Platforms: Satellaview-SNES (JPN)
Translation Patch: v1.2(Complete) http://radicaldreamers.sourceforge.net/
Recommend: ***
Notes:
- Was supposed to be the sequel (story wise) to Chrono Trigger, and in a way it still is. But then Chrono Cross came out for the PSX and the events of radical dreamers were retconned (sort of)
- Plays just like an adventure game book, with few imagery and lots of narratives... i did find it a bit dull after a while. Only play if you're a Chrono Trigger and/or Chrono Cross fan.

Samurai Sword
Genre: Fantasy
Platforms: Famicom Disk System - NES (JPN)
Translation Patch: v1.0(Complete) http://www.romhacking.net/trans/699/
Notes:
-

//UPCOMING OFFICIAL TRANSLATIONS
--Games to look out for in the near future

Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney (aka Gyakuten Saiban 4)
Release Date: US[Feb 19 '08], EU[March '08]
Platforms: DS
Notes:
- The 4th game of the 'Gyakuten Saiban' series, and the first one released EXCLUSIVELY for the DS (previous 3 games were ported from the GBA). So expect better use of the DS functions (a bit like the final bonus trial in the first game)
- A new set of characters, but expect to see some old faces as well.
- Famitsu review gave 9/9/9/9 (36/40).

Links:
(Official Japanese Site and Flash Demo)http://www3.capcom.co.jp/saiban4/
(Japanese Trailer)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btO3LjqxdN8

Jake Hunter: Detective Chronicles (aka Tantei Jinguuji Saburou)
Developer: Arc Systems
Release date: US [tba '08], EU [N/A]
Notes:
- Popular detective game series that has been around since the NES era (known as 'Tantei Jinguuji Saburou'). Finally getting an English release in wake of the popularity of adventure games on DS.
- The series was celebrating its 20th Anniversary at the time of the DS release.

Links:
(Official Japanese site and Flash demo) http://arcsystemworks.jp/jinguji/
(US Press Release) http://www.aksysgames.com/press_releases/jh_110207.html

Professor Layton and the Curious Village
Developer: Level 5
Genre: Puzzle
Release date: US [Feb 18 '08], EU [N/A]
Notes:
-

Links:
(English Trailer)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdQBEK4l_YA

//UPCOMING FAN TRANSLATIONS

Policenauts
Developer: Konami (Hideo Kojima)
Genre: Sci-Fi
Translation Release Date: PSX trans[tba] http://policenauts.net/english/
Platform: NEC-PC, 3DO, PSX, Saturn
Notes:
- The spiritual sequel to Snatcher. That is all.

Links:
(Intro, start from 3:00 for awesome music)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLX8UQ5mAfg
(Trailer w/ Eng subs)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQ1Fp...eature=related

Contributions are always welcome. Until then...

Last edited by Trickless; 01-11-2008 at 05:33 PM.
Old 01-10-2008, 07:19 PM   #32
Super Moderator

That's a great list Trickless! Thanks.
Old 01-11-2008, 07:34 AM   #33

Thanks for the list trickless!

I played 4 games from your list (Snatcher, Phoenix Wright, and I just finished Another Code and Hotel Dusk on my new DS) and I agree 100% with your ratings for them.

(Actually, it was odd to me that Another Code got such a good grade on adventuregamers while Hotel Dusk was so low, as it is clearly the superior or the two, IMHO)

Now I must play Famicom based on your recommendation! How come no one translated "Famicom Detective Club 1"?
Old 01-11-2008, 07:52 AM   #34
Has a jaw of sweet teeth

Thanks Tricks!
I have never heard of Famicom Detective Club or that upcoming Jake Hunter game, so the list was much appreciated.
Old 01-11-2008, 04:54 PM   #35
full of tricks

Quote:
Now I must play Famicom based on your recommendation! How come no one translated "Famicom Detective Club 1"?
The group that did Famicom Detective 2 (DemiForce) expressed some interest in translating it, but I guess they are concentrating on other projects. Who knows, maybe they will do it in the near future.

Anyways, translating these games are hard because of the number of text involved!

-*List has been updated with the following additions:

Official Released Games:
The Space Adventure (Sega CD)

Fan Translated games:
Crystal Dragon (Famicom Disk System - NES)
Samurai Sword (Famicom Disk System - NES)
PORTOPIA Serial Murder Case (NES)
Bubblegum Crash (PC Engine/ Turbo Grafx)*

Last edited by Trickless; 01-11-2008 at 05:37 PM.
Old 01-11-2008, 07:17 PM   #36
XXJ

Great list! Thank you Trickless!

Quote:
Here in Israel, all game stores are divided into two halves - one half PC, one half PS2. The only places that sell DS games are kids stores
I envy you! There are little PC games and normal DS games for grown-ups here.

Some years ago, there are even still some graphic adventure game in japanese PC market, such as Alice, Gadget,etc...but nowadays, this type of games are has become extinct.

Last edited by XXJ; 01-11-2008 at 07:32 PM.
Old 01-18-2008, 04:55 PM   #37

Once more thanks for the list Trickless. I tried patching the Famicon Detective rom using LunarIPS but the text remained the same. Is there a surefire way of applying the IPS patch?

Also, it's a shame the Policenauts team has faced a technical hurdle which has haulted progress for the time being. I was quite looking forward to it. Ah well.
Old 01-18-2008, 05:38 PM   #38
Super Moderator

A couple of Goichi Suda games (orginially on the PlayStation) are being redone for the Nintendo DS.

http://www.adventuregamers.com/newsitem.php?id=1594
Old 01-18-2008, 06:15 PM   #39
full of tricks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulsar_t View Post
Once more thanks for the list Trickless. I tried patching the Famicon Detective rom using LunarIPS but the text remained the same. Is there a surefire way of applying the IPS patch?
Hmm I used the ZSNES emulator, so all I had to do was make sure the .ips file was in the same folder and the same name as the rom file. If you're looking to actual patch it then maybe try using snes-tool?

Just drop me a pm if you're having more problems.
Old 01-19-2008, 01:20 AM   #40

Thank you very much Trickless!

Are there any special sites that dedicate those translations and Adventure genre?
It would be good to know upcoming translations etc.