You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Japanese adventure games

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2008, 03:43 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by papillon View Post
The same reason that choose-your-own-adventures and all related items are called "gamebooks".
What, they are? LOL... hmmm.

Quote:

How much VNs are games varies. Some of them are very gamelike. Some of them are very much like novels with director's cut alternate endings.
Oh, the confusion of genres... lol.

Director's cut alternate endings? That's fun.

Quote:

But not all adventure games let you wander and talk to people, and VNs can contain puzzles... genres are fuzzy things
That's true, so true... hmmm. Ugh...

Btw, anyone knows how to really play Ever17? See, I noticed that some of the options in that game lead to different scenarios. Will choosing different options have a visible effect on the entire storyline apart from having different scenarios?

Hmm... oh and if I want to see every scenario, I'd have to play the game many times. Wow... I'm already starting to see one of the characters as my little brother. Not too sure what a few weeks of nothing but Ever17 will do to me.
Old 02-23-2008, 07:48 PM   #62

Quote:
Will choosing different options have a visible effect on the entire storyline apart from having different scenarios?
Once you're on either the Kid's perspective or Takeshi's perspective, the choices you make will generally determine:

which girl-path you're on
whether you get a good or a bad ending for that path

So if you're spending all your time with Sara, then you're probably on Sara's path. You'll get extra scenes with Sara that don't occur if you're playing the other girl's path. If you're doing well, some scenes in that path will play out differently, or some extra scenes might happen that don't happen if you're doing badly. But the overall plot will move along about the same way until near the end, when things will change drastically based on what path you're on and whether you're getting a good or a bad ending.
Old 02-23-2008, 08:38 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by papillon View Post
Once you're on either the Kid's perspective or Takeshi's perspective, the choices you make will generally determine:

which girl-path you're on
whether you get a good or a bad ending for that path

So if you're spending all your time with Sara, then you're probably on Sara's path. You'll get extra scenes with Sara that don't occur if you're playing the other girl's path. If you're doing well, some scenes in that path will play out differently, or some extra scenes might happen that don't happen if you're doing badly. But the overall plot will move along about the same way until near the end, when things will change drastically based on what path you're on and whether you're getting a good or a bad ending.
Hmmm... I see. I've not encountered Sara in the story yet though the manual does provide a short description of her. I wonder how someone could not be perceived or seen by another. That is: why Takeshi doesn't see or hear Sara nor witness anyone interacting with her, though I suspect my answers will be fulfilled soon.

Aha... I'm on Sora's path now and yeah... she's kinda interesting. And I'm starting to see Kid as my little brother. :p

Still, all that talk about science made me dig out many links to understand what terms like nucleus, dimensions, planes, etc. mean. It's been years since I encountered this stuff so my knowledge is rusty.

Ah, and thank you for the explanation.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:30 AM   #64

Anyways, I've just finished my first playthrough(without really looking at most of the alternate scenarios) of Ever17 with Takeshi as the protagonist. Wow... this was really good.

As expected, the story was extremely moving though slightly tragic and yet, the "ending" was rather optimistic given how lucky he's always been. Geez... it's too bad they never gave a conclusive ending.
Old 03-17-2008, 12:01 AM   #65
Occasionally around...

Send a message via Yahoo to MystGirl

How do you guys like the Japanese adventure games compared to other "American" ones. (I use the term American loosely since so many of these games are made in other countries before they get to us)
Old 03-17-2008, 03:01 AM   #66
Banned User

A while ago I got Ever17, then I came here and find that its pretty acclaimed. Never played it yet, hope to try it REALLY soon.

I can't get away from japanese games anyways. psh
Old 03-17-2008, 05:05 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystGirl View Post
How do you guys like the Japanese adventure games compared to other "American" ones. (I use the term American loosely since so many of these games are made in other countries before they get to us)
From the few examples I've played, the japanese adventure games seem to have a completely different focus than the western ones - they focus much more on the story-line and much less on interactivity. The stories, in general, are much better in the japanese adventures (for example, in Phoenix Wright, the plot for some of the "turnabouts" is pure genious). For me that's a great advantage, but the lack of interactivity could get a little irritating after a while. I try to maintain a good balance of western-to-eastern flavors in my adventure games diet
Old 01-19-2010, 08:35 AM   #68
resident moleman

Send a message via ICQ to traz

I really love your Pixel Menu site. Excellent work!
Old 01-19-2010, 03:00 PM   #69
full of tricks

Whoa, what a bump lol

Cheers for the compliment, although I've been neglecting the site for a bit now haha
Old 01-19-2010, 04:44 PM   #70
Game Designer

I don't know if someone mentioned it already but the new Silent Hill re-imagining for the Wii is awesome.

Cheers,
Myles Blasonato.
Old 01-19-2010, 04:52 PM   #71

I believe Cing's new game, Again: Eye of Providence is due out relatively soon, as well as Miles Edgeworth Investigations. I feel shameful that I haven't played past the first screen of Policenauts yet when I loved Snatcher so much. I just got distracted with so many other games, including Mass Effect, Bioshock and Dragon Quest V.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:01 PM   #72

I'm glad it was bumped, this thread is great. I've had Policenauts for a while and never booted it up until I've just tracked down its so called spiritual prequel, Snatcher. Watched Snatcher's intro and man, old school sci-fi - so awesome!

I'm also gonna keep a close eye on the Dead of the Brain translation, those screenshots look great. Though, it was mentioned that it has voice acting which I suppose is something that won't be translated .

I'll have to re-inspect the whole thread closer though to pick out the other titles. Famicom blah blah part 2 looks interesting too, that will be next. Thanks for all the info

Now playing: The Longest Journey, Gray Matter, Lost Horizon
Recently finished: Sanitarium
Looking Forward To: Deponia, Resonance
Old 01-19-2010, 05:53 PM   #73
full of tricks

Yeah, I'm looking forward to some of the upcoming games. I tried out the first few minutes of AGAIN and it doesn't look too bad. It's really heavy on the dialogue (as with most games mentioned in this thread!) so I hope it gets a good translation.

Obviously top of the list would be Ace Attorney Investigations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sughly View Post
I'm also gonna keep a close eye on the Dead of the Brain translation, those screenshots look great. Though, it was mentioned that it has voice acting which I suppose is something that won't be translated .
The voice goes along with the text, so atleast you will get subtitles. Last I heard, it doesn't look like they've progressed much with the English translation, and it looks like its going to be that way for a while. But the French translation looks to be nearly complete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sughly View Post
I'll have to re-inspect the whole thread closer though to pick out the other titles. Famicom blah blah part 2 looks interesting too, that will be next.
Yes! Famicom Detective Club 2 is one of my favourite
Old 01-19-2010, 10:00 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickless View Post
The voice goes along with the text, so atleast you will get subtitles. Last I heard, it doesn't look like they've progressed much with the English translation, and it looks like its going to be that way for a while. But the French translation looks to be nearly complete.
Nooo! I was really interested in this one. Though my girlfriend is French, I don't believe I can drag her through a whole game worth of translating for me...

Now playing: The Longest Journey, Gray Matter, Lost Horizon
Recently finished: Sanitarium
Looking Forward To: Deponia, Resonance