You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Best adventure games to make films out of

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2004, 05:02 PM   #1

Default Best adventure games to make films out of

What are some adventure games that would make great films? Adventure as a genre lends itself to adaptation more easily than some other genres, given that they are often story-based and very cinematic.

My vote: Grim Fandango. I'm sure somebody else would've said it, but there we are. The game would be perfect for film. Not a live-action film, mind - that'd just be silly. I want a fully CG Pixar film. Pixar is a perfect match for GF - all of the Pixar films are based around a creative concept of a part of life that humans never get to see: The lives of toys, insects, fish, etc. This would be the same: the lives (well, sort of) in the Land of the Dead. Now that they're outside of Disney, they're free to make it quite a bit darker than their other films (probably PG-13). The only problem is, I can't imagine a better cast than the original game - but I also can't imagine them returning to do a film. But who knows?
Old 06-11-2004, 05:14 PM   #2
Banned User

I'll leave it to somebody else who isn't already hated to explain how GF is actually already largely derived from a collection/montage of films. To make it into its own movie would be the animated equivalent of Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid.
Old 06-11-2004, 05:25 PM   #3
8-Bit Spritemaster™

Well, Monkey Island would make for a kick-ascii animated feature, especially done in the MI3 style. Especially on the heels of the Curse of the Black Pearl movie, showing what fun can be had with undead pirates.

You could pretty much use the entire plot of MI 1, and make it into a decent film. MI2 would need tweaking, as it really has nothing to do with Monkey Island. Sure MI3 tried to do a tie-in, but all-in-all MI2 seems a bit too disconnected from the events of MI1 to make for a decent movie sequel.

MI 3 needs less recapping & exposition, but it could translate into some sort of script.

MI 4 should be burnt & buried at sea, but if any elements had to be carried over, I'd leave in the bit of Grampa Marley turning out to be Herman.

As for other adventure games, I don't see it. Yes, you could recycle character & settings from various existing adventure games, but aside from Monkey Island, I can't see an adventure game plot working well as a movie.

Sky Warrior Bob
Old 06-11-2004, 05:56 PM   #4
lemonhead11

I might be the victim of a cruel joke but I heard that there was a plan to make a MI movie back in the early nineties and that they were talking to Leonardo Di Caprio (shudder) to be Guybrush. I don't know what happened to the idea but with the mentioned casting I'm glad they fell through.

Old 06-11-2004, 05:56 PM   #5
Babbling as Usual

Two words: Full Throttle.
Old 06-11-2004, 06:09 PM   #6
The Dude

Send a message via AIM to mrdunn

I think an original Gabriel Knight movie would kick ass. It wouldn't have to follow any of the games, though the first one would probably have to be based on Sins of the Father, in order to establish the character. God, I wish they'd make a GK4 with today's technology it would be an awesome story, and eye-candy too, something adventure games rarely seem to mix.
Old 06-11-2004, 06:29 PM   #7
guybrush_guy

i'm thinking the longest joureny would be good as a movie. the story line is excelent. if a movie was made i think this would be the best out of an adventure genera.
there's also gabriel knight, i think a movie should be made out of the book series and not the video game itself even thoe i'm told that there is'nt much diffrence.

Old 06-11-2004, 07:07 PM   #8

Any of the Tex Murphy games would be great.
Old 06-11-2004, 07:22 PM   #9
gaybrush threepwoody

Send a message via AIM to eriq Send a message via Yahoo to eriq

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonhead11
I might be the victim of a cruel joke but I heard that there was a plan to make a MI movie back in the early nineties and that they were talking to Leonardo Di Caprio (shudder) to be Guybrush. I don't know what happened to the idea but with the mentioned casting I'm glad they fell through.
OMG. That would have been so wrong. YUCK! I can't stand DiCaprio.

With the CG and technology available today, I think Monkey Island could be an excellent game to bring to the big screen. In essence, it already has been with "Pirates of the Caribbean".

I also think Space Quest and Day of the Tentacle would be excellent. Originally I was thinking maybe Loom but then I thought of how silly it would have been to see all the actors humming silly incantations to do things.
Old 06-11-2004, 08:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacardiJim
I'll leave it to somebody else who isn't already hated to explain how GF is actually already largely derived from a collection/montage of films. To make it into its own movie would be the animated equivalent of Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid.
Obviously, GF has film influences (most notably Casablanca). I don't see how this would make it work poorly as a film. The film industry tends to parody and give homages to itself more than anything else.
Old 06-11-2004, 08:07 PM   #11
guybrush_guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriq
OMG. That would have been so wrong. YUCK! I can't stand DiCaprio.
i think years ago he would of been wrong for the part. i still dont think he would fit the charicture now, but i dont think he's a bad actor at all. he did a realy good job in "catch me if you can" and "gangs of New York"

Old 06-11-2004, 08:53 PM   #12
Novice Member

Maybe it's obvious, since the game is based on a movie series, but I always wanted to see Fate of Atlantis made into a movie. The story was wonderful and every time I play it I can see everything like it would play out in a film.
Of course, many adventure game elements are put into a medium that extends for 10-40 hours, whereas films are 90-180 minutes. I think that my feeling is with all the games we're mentioning, that we love them so much as adventure games that the next step is to translate them into films where they couldn't necessarily work. I love The Longest Journey and Grim Fandango, but what makes those game great is visiting the numerous locations, interacting with the many characters etc. and other things that wouldn't translate into film well. To make some of these games movies would be to lose many of the elements that we love about them.
Old 06-11-2004, 10:11 PM   #13
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacardiJim
I don't think it's any huge secret that GF derives heavily from certain classic Hollywood genres. On the other hand, it also draws plenty of inspiration from complete non-filmic cultural myths and conventions, and I'm not sure why it wouldn't translate well to film, at least based on your "argument".

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 06-11-2004, 10:29 PM   #14
merely human

If that's his argument, then I don't understand how GF couldn't be well translated into a movie, especially perhaps a fully animated one. All the elements are there, it's just a matter of adapting it to the screen. I myself wouldn't mind a cel shaded remake of Truffaut's Vivement Dimanche!, especially if they cast Fanny Ardant again .
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 06-11-2004, 10:52 PM   #15
T.J. Hooker's Lovechild

I still say 7th Guest will make a good film.
Old 06-11-2004, 11:05 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamfast
What are some adventure games that would make great films?
Journeyman Project 2
Morpheus
Faust
Zork Nemesis
Amber
Sanitarium
Temujin
The Longest Journey
Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars
the Gabriel Knight games
the Arthurs Knights games would probably make better movies than they did games
any of the Discworld games
Old 06-12-2004, 12:47 AM   #17
ACK!

Send a message via MSN to Tanukitsune

How about Zork? Not about any particular one of the series, but a movie set in the Great Underground Empire....
Old 06-12-2004, 04:48 AM   #18
Under pressure.

The DIG.

--Erwin
Old 06-12-2004, 04:50 AM   #19

Gabriel Knight series
Monkey Island series
Police Quest series ?
Old 06-12-2004, 05:27 AM   #20
gaybrush threepwoody

Send a message via AIM to eriq Send a message via Yahoo to eriq

Quote: