You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2011, 06:46 AM   #81
aye, aye!

Best adventure game I've played this year! Short, but good!

It also makes me so happy to see some scandinavians making such a gorgeous adventure game!
Website with Fansites [thornleaf.se]
Old 07-02-2011, 01:49 PM   #82
She Wants Revenge

How much horror is this? I can cope around the amount that is in Black Mirror I or Gabriel Knights, anything more usually makes me too uneasy and I quit. Wont even dream to touch things like Silent Hills or Amnesia.
Old 07-02-2011, 02:50 PM   #83
aye, aye!

It's just like Black Mirror
EDIT: More like the horror in Overclocked tbh.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:36 AM   #84

i really love quest games
but the demo was so boring
Old 07-07-2011, 04:02 AM   #85
aye, aye!

The first quest with the polar bear was exhaustingly boring. But it gets a lot better during the second night!
Old 07-07-2011, 04:15 AM   #86
Schättenjager

Anyone knows how to run this game fullscreen?
Old 07-07-2011, 05:47 AM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
Anyone knows how to run this game fullscreen?
If you've already disabled the "Run in Window" option, try disabling the "Use Desktop Resolution" option, too. The first will run the game in a window, the second will run it fullscreen but windowboxed (I'm puzzled as to why the Wintermute Engine developers would think players would want to play like that).

If you had accidentally enabled the "Don't show this window again" option, you can always open it through the Settings.exe program in the game folder.
Old 07-07-2011, 06:16 AM   #88
Schättenjager

I cant disable "Use Desktop Resolution" option,looks greyed and doesnt start without "Run in Window" option.
Old 07-07-2011, 06:24 AM   #89

Quote:
I cant disable "Use Desktop Resolution" option,looks greyed and doesnt start without "Run in Window" option.
If the game only runs in windowed mode it means your gpu doesn't support the 1280x800 resolution that the game requires. You can check your gpu drivers if there is an option to add custom resolutions, otherwise the engine does the only possible thing which is to run it in a window.
Old 07-07-2011, 06:30 AM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeframCochrane View Post
The first will run the game in a window, the second will run it fullscreen but windowboxed (I'm puzzled as to why the Wintermute Engine developers would think players would want to play like that).
That is not what this setting is. It's a different (second) way to tell the engine how to guess desktop's aspect ratio. If you see black bars at all sides it means your gpu and/or monitor doesn't support the required AR.
Old 07-07-2011, 06:31 AM   #91
Schättenjager

That means engine doesnt allow fullscreen to run 16 : 9 (1280x720)?
But how come game runs 1280x800 windowed on 1366x768 desktop?

Last edited by Gabe; 07-07-2011 at 06:39 AM.
Old 07-07-2011, 06:50 AM   #92
Schättenjager

I cant play on windowed mode too letters stays under taskbar cant read a thing,what a joke an engine without any available resolution option at year 2k11.
Old 07-07-2011, 06:57 AM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by odnorf View Post
That is not what this setting is. It's a different (second) way to tell the engine how to guess desktop's aspect ratio. If you see black bars at all sides it means your gpu and/or monitor doesn't support the required AR.
Hmm that's intriguing. I'm always curious to know these kinds of details. My monitor has a 1680x1050 native resolution. When "Use Desktop resolution" is disabled, the game runs fullscreen, without any boxing (which makes sense, since both 1680x1050 and 1280x800 have the same 16:10 AR, and the game output can be scaled up to fill the screen). Enabling "Use Desktop resolution" displays a 1280x800 sized rectangle, windowboxed in the middle of the screen.

Quote:
I cant play on windowed mode too letters stays under taskbar cant read a thing,what a joke an engine without any available resolution option at year 2k11.
Wintermute's lack of image scaling capabilities has been addressed several times. Regardless of its limits, I still haven't been able to read a compelling argument as to why game designers can't "encapsulate" the game engine in their own code that would intercept the game's output (operation which wouldn't require access to the engine's source code, because you would operate on its raw output, not its rendering process), in order to scale it with any of the popular 2D scaling alogrithms (Linear? Bilinear? Lanczos? etc).
That said, you must admit that the game developer made it clear that a display resolution of 1280×800 would be a minimum requirement to run the game...

Last edited by ZeframCochrane; 07-07-2011 at 07:17 AM.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:59 AM   #94

Quote:
You mentioned that your monitor's resolution is 1366x768. That means that the game's fixed resolution (as it is 2.5D at 1280x800 and not real-time 3D) is larger. This is a limitation of the hardware and has nothing to do with the engine.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:09 AM   #95

Quote:
Wintermute's lack of image scaling capabilities has been addressed several times.
Since I'm really interested in adventure engines can you please name an available to the public 2D/2.5D engine that can do that (with the exception of lost horizon home-made engine that is, to my knowledge, not available to third party developers).
Old 07-07-2011, 09:36 AM   #96

Quote:
Since I'm really interested in adventure engines can you please name an available to the public 2D/2.5D engine that can do that (with the exception of lost horizon home-made engine that is, to my knowledge, not available to third party developers).
I can name no such engines. Hence, I'm not saying Wintermute's criticism is deserved. But, de facto, the issue has been discussed, not necessarily as criticism.

That said, notice how my confusion derives not from the game engine's alleged shortcomings (which would be understandable, considering the engine is freely available to game developers), but from the fact that game developers who do choose to take advantage of Wintermute don't implement what would seem to me a trivial process, which would not involve changing the game engine at all.

As I've discussed previously in this thread, this is not meant directly as a criticism towards the developers of Alpha Polaris. It's a broad discussion, I remember thinking the same thing when I played The Lost Crown.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:44 AM   #97

Quote:
That said, notice how my confusion derives not from the game engine's alleged shortcomings (which would be understandable, considering the engine is freely available to game developers), but from the fact that game developers who do choose to take advantage of Wintermute don't implement what would seem to me a trivial process, which would not involve changing the game engine at all.
If a developer has the resources to do that a better idea would be to directly work with the engine sources that are available under LGPL for a long time now. My understanding is that such a feature is in no way trivial but extremely complex (which explains why none does it, no matter their budget). Please note that this is based on discussion with engine developers and not on my knowledge since I'm not a programmer.

EDIT: a small typo
Old 07-07-2011, 10:06 AM   #98
Schättenjager

Quote:
You mentioned that your monitor's resolution is 1366x768. That means that the game's fixed resolution (as it is 2.5D at 1280x800 and not real-time 3D) is larger. This is a limitation of the hardware and has nothing to do with the engine.
No what i said game runs windowed 1280x800(and box height is out of screen)but cant scale it to fullscreen.

Last edited by Gabe; 07-07-2011 at 10:18 AM.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:29 AM   #99

Quote:
Please note that this is based on discussion with engine developers and not on my knowledge since I'm not a programmer.
Neither am I, my point is purely theoretical. From where I stand, no matter how complex the rendering process may be, the end result (that which I call "raw output") is necessarily 2D stream made of single frames, virtually undistinguishable from a 2D video stream. And it's undeniable that scaling a series of 2D pictures is a trivial operation. Media players like VNC allow you to zoom in (upscale) or zoom out (downscale) video in real time, pretty much at your heart's desire.

Quote:
No what i said game runs windowed 1280x800(and box height is out of screen)but cant scale it to fullscreen.
Yup, that's what odnorf said. In your case, one of the dimensions of the engine's fixed output (1280x800) is larger that your display's native resolution (1366x768), and since the hardware will refuse to downscale a fullscreen image that's larger than its native resolution, the game fails to start. I don't see any possible way to play the game with a monitor with a lower resolution that 1280x800. Perhaps you can connect your computer to an HD television?
Old 07-07-2011, 11:07 AM   #100
Schättenjager

Quote:
Yup, that's what odnorf said. In your case, one of the dimensions of the engine's fixed output (1280x800) is larger that your display's native resolution (1366x768), and since the hardware will refuse to downscale a fullscreen image that's larger than its native resolution, the game fails to start. I don't see any possible way to play the game with a monitor with a lower resolution that 1280x800. Perhaps you can connect your computer to an HD television?
Yes,what you said game's output fixed 16:10 and doesnt allow 16: 9
so where's the hardware limitation in that(unlike odnorf said) its only software limitation.