You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2011, 11:08 AM   #61

Great to hear Temesis!! I'll be buying this on 24.6.2011 then. Thank you!
Old 06-17-2011, 08:13 PM   #62

Send a message via Yahoo to Guitaraholic

Ya know, what the hell! I will too! 6/24/11, sounds like a late night of adventuring!
Old 06-18-2011, 04:44 AM   #63

i've seen 3 german reviews so far and they all say only 4-5 hours of play time, that's pretty short, considering that the boxed version costs 25 euro (around 35 dollar)
i guess at least the download version will have a fair price (eg 10-15 dollar)?
Old 06-18-2011, 05:33 AM   #64

4-5 hours? I wouldn't call the game that short, but maybe I'm biased :p

Anyways, the download version is 19.95 euros including VAT, so american people will get the game at 20 dollars.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:24 AM   #65

Alpha Polaris gameplay trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUDYEqHAKz8
Old 06-20-2011, 04:41 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temesis View Post
4-5 hours? I wouldn't call the game that short, but maybe I'm biased :p
Can you reassure me on this? I really liked the demo...but it was probably 20-25 minutes of gameplay. Honestly, how long will the seasoned adventure fan take to complete it?

It's okay you can tell me the truth, I'm going to buy the game no matter what.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:38 PM   #67

Only 4-5 hours?
Old 06-21-2011, 02:52 AM   #68

Well, it is certainly possible to play through the game in that time, but none of our own betatesters (~15) weren't able to do it nearly so quickly. I'm certain the English reviews will give us good, unbiased info on this! Several will be out at 24th.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:51 AM   #69
It's Hard To Be Humble

I've never understood these players who can whizz through games in a few hours and look both smug and disappointed. Whenever I play a game that's been rated as being between five to ten hours long, invariably, it takes me twice as long. I'm pretty sure I'm not an idiot, but I just don't see how we're even playing the same game if that's all it took for someone else. How can anyone even enjoy a game at that speed? Is there a flavour of adrenaline out there that I haven't tried yet? The flavour I'm used to is sort of meh.

Take Portal 2, for example. My good buddy Mike whizzed through it in (he said) something like four or five hours. Now, Mike is a bit uber, sure, but seriously, I wouldn't fly through a game like that unless I seriously didn't like it and just wanted to get it over with (if I didn't just turn it off and uninstall it). As it is, my wife and I took three days to finish Portal 2 in solo mode, and I'm currently picking my way through it on my own and haven't finished yet.

Now, I know some of the test chambers go a lot smoother if you just storm right through them, but others take some pretty finicky work to get just right. And yet I keep reading that it's a six hour game. ??

And it's the same for me with most adventure games, including the Alpha Polaris demo. I've played it for something like an hour and haven't finished it yet. I quite enjoy it, but clearly I must be the simplest microbe on the planet if it's something that most folks can get through in under thirty minutes.
Spoiler:
I'm still trying to figure out how to move the bear into the cage.

Sorry, bit OT, I know. Just had to get that in, since playing time has suddenly become such an important metric for the worthiness of a game; I am forced to conclude that it's the most subjective metric of them all.

Has anyone else had this problem?
Old 06-23-2011, 12:41 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee in Limbo View Post
And it's the same for me with most adventure games, including the Alpha Polaris demo. I've played it for something like an hour and haven't finished it yet. I quite enjoy it, but clearly I must be the simplest microbe on the planet if it's something that most folks can get through in under thirty minutes.
Spoiler:
okay, taking that long is almost an art form of its own
the demo didn't even have so much to discover and combine...
regarding the bear: the solution is pretty obvious, but did you know, that you can combine up to three things and it has to be in the right order too, if i remember correctly? maybe that's the crux.
Old 06-23-2011, 12:53 PM   #71

the youtube video seemed interesting, i'll probably give it a try
i sure hope it'll be longer than what was mentioned
and i sure like the scenery, it reminds me of one of my favorite movies "the thing"
Old 06-23-2011, 01:28 PM   #72

I love your avatar pic Ugh! Shadow over Illsmouth was definitely one of the games influencing Alpha Polaris.

Anyway... The game is now LIVE at www.turmoilgames.com. We absolutely want to hear your impressions in here or at Turmoil Games facebook page. I'll also post reviews to Facebook when they are published.
Old 06-23-2011, 02:29 PM   #73

Quote:
I love your avatar pic Ugh! Shadow over Illsmouth was definitely one of the games influencing Alpha Polaris.

Anyway... The game is now LIVE at www.turmoilgames.com. We absolutely want to hear your impressions in here or at Turmoil Games facebook page. I'll also post reviews to Facebook when they are published.
Was it Shadow Over Innsmouth or At the Mouth of Madness? never heard of Illsmouth. is that a different game? or was it Shadow of the comet?

http://www.sbnewsom.com/
Old 06-23-2011, 02:54 PM   #74

I stand corrected, it was Shadow of the Comet! But the setting was village of "Illsmouth", which surely comes from "Innsmouth". Great game, but super hard! Anybody remember the maze on that one?
Old 06-23-2011, 03:18 PM   #75

Quote:
I stand corrected, it was Shadow of the Comet! But the setting was village of "Illsmouth", which surely comes from "Innsmouth". Great game, but super hard! Anybody remember the maze on that one?
Ugh, that maze. Wow! To be honest, I never beat the game. I got to a point where I made a mistake and I couldn't get out of it and continue the game. So at this point i need to play it again.

I'm a huge Lovecraft nuthead.

http://www.sbnewsom.com/
Old 06-23-2011, 04:00 PM   #76

Monolith: and the game had several mazes.

Spoiler:

Remember the forest? It was a huge maze. You had to search for three twigs that were very arbitarily located. *facepalm*

But it was still easier as you could not die in there.

Ah... things were different in the 90s...
Old 06-23-2011, 08:29 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee in Limbo View Post
Spoiler:
I got stuck on that part, too. The demo doesn't really explain that you can combine three environmental objects at once.

I'm notoriously slow at completing games, especially if you're given the freedom to roam and explore. I don't even consider play-time when purchasing a game.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:51 PM   #78

Quote:
Hi,

Just bought the game but the download speed is very, very slow ( like 16.0kb/sec ). At that rate it would take forever to download the game. If u can look into it that would be great buddy and grats for the release of the game.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:30 PM   #79

Quote:
Just bought the game but the download speed is very, very slow ( like 16.0kb/sec ). At that rate it would take forever to download the game. If u can look into it that would be great buddy and grats for the release of the game.
That's an interesting problem, it shouldn't bee that slow. I've sent you a PM.
Old 06-26-2011, 08:00 PM   #80
A Slice of Fried Gold

Send a message via MSN to SamandMax Send a message via Yahoo to SamandMax

I'm not a fan of this BMT Micro site that the game is being sold through. Because I used a Hotmail account during my purchase, I now have to wait for them to manually confirm the transaction before they'll let me download the game. I would've much preferred to buy this through something a little more trusted and reliable like PayPal.

Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
They Might Be Giants - Dog Walker
The Kinks - Money Talks
Gorillaz - DoYaThing