You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Gabriel Knight Box Art?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2008, 03:25 PM   #1
Banned User

Default Gabriel Knight Box Art?

I was looking on Mobygames today and saw this pretty unusual box design for Gabriel Knights: Sins of the Fathers.

Does anyone have this edition of the game? If so, anyone willing to sell?

The only copies I've seen was the regular big box edition.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/gabrie...meCoverId,957/
Old 07-03-2008, 07:47 PM   #2
Thats the ticket

I have this box, um, somewhere. I remember that it was very flimsy and due to the unique shape it was hard to stand it up properly. So I just folded it and stored it away.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:29 PM   #3

No love for Leah Remini!?... I mean, it was before King of Queens, but wasn't she famous from Saved by the Bell: The College Years?

Oh wait, she's a Scientologist, I hate her.
Old 07-03-2008, 10:26 PM   #4
Adventure Game Elitist

Send a message via ICQ to Gonchi Send a message via MSN to Gonchi Send a message via Yahoo to Gonchi

I think it's generally referred to as the Origami box. I saw it for sale when the game was released, but didn't buy it (I now own the GK Mysteries set anyway...).

I believe it was used exclusively for the CD-Rom version when the game was first released, while the "regular big box" was used for the Diskette version. Subsequent re-releases of the CD version used the rectangular box instead of the "Origami" one, so it's less common.

The key words are "I think" and "I believe" though, so don't quote me on them.
Old 07-03-2008, 11:48 PM   #5
Banned User

Interesting didn't know that...What I like about the box the most is the artwork. Its a lot more creative and really crisp.
Old 07-08-2008, 12:58 AM   #6
Thats the ticket

Its a sweet box but a departure from other Sierra boxes at the time which were sturdy rectangular cartons.

Also do you know that there was a thin Gabriel Knight comic included with the box? The artwork is still vivid in my mind.
Old 07-08-2008, 01:09 PM   #7
Banned User

Yeah, never got on with my copy. I read it online. An excellent read. Planning to get myself a copy someday.
Old 07-13-2008, 08:13 AM   #8

This is one of the most interesting boxes. It's my favorite along with the metal box of Stonekeep, the beautiful box of Dinosaurs that includes a storybook, 11th hour first editions with the raffia-tied design punched cd slip cases, the lovely Everquest and big boxes of GK and Phantasmagoria. I'm a sucker for great boxes and have always bought them even if I'll never play the FPS games.

By the way, it doesn't fit together the way most of the pics show. It's not a Z but a trapezoid shape. Sort of a puzzle box.

Last edited by Dara100; 07-13-2008 at 08:40 AM.
Old 07-13-2008, 03:03 PM   #9
Senior *female* member

I have this socalled trapezoid box release.

It has nothing whatsoever to do with origami; the words "Origami box" refer to a beautiful folding box of the Japanese game Cosmology of Kyoto.

The box is not flimsy. It is sturdy and very stable. Probably more stable than ordinary boxes.

The pics show the correct way - the only way - to fit the two pieces of the box together.

There is one on British ebay now.
Old 07-22-2008, 11:44 AM   #10

I had that box. I thought it was really cool. But in 1993, I was 12. And my mother was SO not cool with there being a female nipple on that box. I think later on, they covered it up with the snake.

Anyway, I had to throw the box out.

At least she didn't make me get rid of the game. Man I am glad I am not a kid anymore.
Old 07-22-2008, 03:29 PM   #11
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorolepal View Post
I had that box. I thought it was really cool. But in 1993, I was 12. And my mother was SO not cool with there being a female nipple on that box. I think later on, they covered it up with the snake.

Anyway, I had to throw the box out.

At least she didn't make me get rid of the game. Man I am glad I am not a kid anymore.
OH MY GOD! A NIPPLE! I swear, people need to grow up. A female nipple is no different from a man showing his chest. Its a nipple. Its a lump of fat.....but some women have large nipples. That definitely makes a difference. Oh noes! Got to love BS censorship.
Old 07-22-2008, 03:48 PM   #12

sniff... Now I want to play this game once again Oh nostalgy... you evil b...!
Old 07-22-2008, 04:45 PM   #13
Banned User

We need a Group Playthrough of the game!
Old 07-22-2008, 05:16 PM   #14
One for the road?

Wow! A box that is both over designed and badly designed all at the some time.

Curved text, wavy text...you have to tilt your head to read the title. They put the list of credits over the big giant face, and leave all that purple space empty. "Sins of the Father" in orange on a background made up predominantly from shades of orange. Jane Jensen looking like she just stepped off the set of a Fame reunion, and with her bio only readable to owls.

I never really liked the regular box design at the best of times, but at least you could read the title without straining your neck.

Great game, manky box.
Old 07-22-2008, 05:26 PM   #15
QFG

That strangely shaped box is the only one I've ever seen! I didn't know there were others...
Old 07-22-2008, 06:26 PM   #16
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadji-kun View Post
We need a Group Playthrough of the game!
We've done that one.

Granted, it's been 2 and a half years (time flies).

On another note, I wouldn't call a parent objecting to something on a box, censorship. You may not agree with their parenting style, but it's their right as a parent.

Now, I'm not in favor of banning something from being sold or shown on TV, movies, in a video game, etc. so we don't offend people. That's an entirely different matter.
Old 07-22-2008, 06:41 PM   #17
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68 View Post
Now, I'm not in favor of banning something from being sold or shown on TV, movies, in a video game, etc. so we don't offend people. That's an entirely different matter.
Well that's actually what I meant. I wasn't really questioning parents. Though these things come from the same parents that buy their kids GTA.