You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure anyone else a little disappointed with their recent adventure game choices?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2007, 12:23 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostPirateLechuck View Post
The problem is that now days so few are published. Most of us play every new game and we can't be selective in ones we choose. We used to be bowled over with adventures but most of them were bad.
That is so true. I remember the days where you had a few to choose between. Of course, those were the days when I was a kid games were upwards of $50 so it's was though to pick one. Now, as an adult with money to spend, I can't find a single thing sometimes.

Today, for instance, wanting to spend Sunday with a new game, I went shopping. Wal-Mart had Delaware St. John 3 (which I'm hesistant to buy because reviews aren't great), Scratches (which I have), the Agatha Christie games (didn't like the first one) and a few others, ones I either have or don't want (like Nancy Drew).

Then, I went over to Future Shop and they didn't ONE single adventure game title on the shelf. Not a one. It's sad. Are a lot of games just passing me by, like they're published but not available in stores? There are some promising titles on the hype-o-meter now, I just hope they turn out to be as good as they look.
Old 10-14-2007, 12:36 PM   #22
King Silly

Quote:
Originally Posted by smulan View Post
Well. No need to be disappointed. No post in this thread mentions Dave Gilberts three games, The Shivah, Blackwell Legacy and Blackwell Unbound. All three from the last 2 years and very good games.
Definately agreed there, Blackwells are great little stories. I'm yet to play The Shivah.
Old 10-14-2007, 12:52 PM   #23

Well, let's see, what adventures have I bought recently? Somewhere around the beginning of summer, I got my Sam & Max Season 1 DVD, and the episodes were all as hilarious the second time around as the first time. Then there was Kheops Studio's Cleopatra, short as usual, but really nice and definitely one of their best games. When I returned from holidays, Phoenix Wright 3 was waiting for me; it's beyond great, and definitely has a place in my top-something. Then just last week came Sinking Island, which I enjoyed a lot. And a couple of days ago I got eXperience112, and from what little I've played, it's really good and original (and it thankfully doesn't seem to be as gimmicky as its ridiculous title). And after that there'll be Kheops/Totm's Nostradamus, which should be released in a couple of weeks.

So, no, I personally see no reason whatsoever to be complaining about recent AG releases, thankyouverymuch.
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]
Old 10-14-2007, 01:00 PM   #24
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruithead View Post
Today, for instance, wanting to spend Sunday with a new game, I went shopping. Wal-Mart had Delaware St. John 3 (which I'm hesistant to buy because reviews aren't great), Scratches (which I have), the Agatha Christie games (didn't like the first one) and a few others, ones I either have or don't want (like Nancy Drew).

Then, I went over to Future Shop and they didn't ONE single adventure game title on the shelf. Not a one. It's sad. Are a lot of games just passing me by, like they're published but not available in stores? There are some promising titles on the hype-o-meter now, I just hope they turn out to be as good as they look.
If you limit yourself to brick and mortar stores, you may be quite disappointed. I tend to get most of my games through online shops (Amazon mostly). If you look at our game info pages, there's usually a link to the Amazon page for the game. You can also try InteractCD and Gogamer (and basically the JA store is the same as InteractCD; they're just a front for them and Interact handles all of the shipping, etc.).
Old 10-15-2007, 12:47 PM   #25

I can't help myself, I have to add that I totally agree with smulan and Tower of Power about the Dave Gilbert (Wadjet Eye Games) series of 3 games, Blackwell Legacy, The Shivah, and Blackwell Unbound which I played in that order and enjoyed every minute of playing, even when I was stumped and had to get help at the Wadjet Eye forum. Dave gave me some really very interesting hints when I was playing The Shivah, I remember because I didn't see how they could possibly work out, but they certainly did, to my delight. Come to think of it now, getting those hints was a cool, new experience in adventuring for me since hints usually made me think that, of course, I should have figured that out myself.
Old 10-15-2007, 06:32 PM   #26
Headbanger

The Wadjet Eye Games can only be bought online, right?
Old 10-15-2007, 06:39 PM   #27
King Silly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henke View Post
That would be correct, on their website :O edit: sorry I read wrong. Don't know if online is the only option to buy them.

Also I have recently started play lots of indie games, and wow I'm impressed by many if them. I must admit I used to be prejudiced and didn't bother with indie adventures before. How stupid and wrong I was. Very well made and written games and the fact that they're indie adventures doesn't even pass my mind when I play them ( another stupid thing about my prejudgment before).

I'm playing right now 5 days a stranger ( freeware ), and it has caught me perhaps even better than Blackwell and it's nice to know there are many other games on this series as well. Have to try out those Ben Jordan games after that.

Sorry if I sidetracked a bit, but it's kind of relative there are always good indie adventures around!
Old 10-15-2007, 06:53 PM   #28
Super Moderator

Quote:
Both Blackwell Unbound and Blackwell Legacy come as a download or as a CD (use the related games tab to get the link to Blackwell Legacy's game info).
Old 10-15-2007, 07:24 PM   #29

Send a message via AIM to DaveGilbert Send a message via MSN to DaveGilbert Send a message via Yahoo to DaveGilbert

I'm glad you like the games. And, yep! Both Blackwell games (and Shivah) can be purchased on CD for $10 extra, plus shipping if you live outside of the US. The CD package includes a soundtrack CD, too.

Sigh. I wish I had time to play adventure games nowadays. The last one I remember playing was Still Life, which was a tad disappointing. Lots of slider/twiddly puzzles and a cliffhanger ending. Oy.

Last edited by DaveGilbert; 10-15-2007 at 07:29 PM.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:52 PM   #30

Heh, I just bought all 3 of Dave's games.

Recent Retail: The Shivah, Blackwell Legacy, Blackwell Unbound, Black Mirror, Cleopatra, Culpa Innata, Secret Files, Broken Sword 1-4, Indigo Prophecy, Nostradamus, Nibiru

Recent UG: Murder in a Wheel, Nelly Cootalot, The Farm, Two of a Kind, Donnie Darko, Reactor 9, Cedric & The Revolution, 5 Days a Stranger, Something Amiss (Chp 1 & 2), Prodigal
Old 10-16-2007, 05:07 PM   #31

Send a message via AIM to DaveGilbert Send a message via MSN to DaveGilbert Send a message via Yahoo to DaveGilbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by misa View Post
Heh, I just bought all 3 of Dave's games.
That makes Misa very cool! Everyone should follow her example.
Old 10-16-2007, 05:16 PM   #32
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruithead View Post
So, I'm going out on a limb because I might be putting down some games very near and dear to some of you but lately I'm disappointed with adventure games. The last few I've picked up have been a little dry and dull.

Am I the only one feeling a little disillusioned lately? I'm just really hoping the next crop of games (Vampyre Story, Gray Matter, Culpa Innata) turn out to be better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NemelChelovek View Post
Definitely been disappointed recently. The only adventure I've played in the past few years that I thought was a real classic was Scratches. Other than that, it's all been pretty mediocre.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapstorm View Post
I certainly don't expect every game to be as good as the classics. My expectations have pretty much hit rock bottom, and still I have trouble getting through some of these new games.
Just out of curiosity, what would you guys like to see in adventure gamers in general, and in particular, to alleviate your boredom and disappointment? I know many of us here compare today's games to the classics from Sierra and LucasArts, so there must be a number of strengths in the games from those companies from back then that you value.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 10-16-2007, 05:40 PM   #33
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens View Post
Just out of curiosity, what would you guys like to see in adventure gamers in general, and in particular, to alleviate your boredom and disappointment? I know many of us here compare today's games to the classics from Sierra and LucasArts, so there must be a number of strengths in the games from those companies from back then that you value.
That's simple, people value the things that make an adventuregame good. Few games have it though.

For me it's about ideas and graphics that stands out, fun puzzles, interesting story and characters. IMO the latest Broken Sword game managed to deliver some of that and deffinitely the new Sam and Max games.
Old 10-16-2007, 05:51 PM   #34
merely human

Quote:
That's simple, people value the things that make an adventuregame good. Few games have it though.

For me it's about ideas and graphics that stands out, fun puzzles, interesting story and characters. IMO the latest Broken Sword game managed to deliver some of that and deffinitely the new Sam and Max games.
What are those things, then, in detail? I remember, for example, falling in love with Grace while playing GK3, with all her strengths and weaknesses. I loved the art direction (given the technological limitations at the time) and how consistent it felt throughout the game and story.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 10-16-2007, 06:37 PM   #35
Headbanger

Quote:
What are those things, then, in detail? I remember, for example, falling in love with Grace while playing GK3, with all her strengths and weaknesses. I loved the art direction (given the technological limitations at the time) and how consistent it felt throughout the game and story.
GK3 deffinately has interesting characters and tried new things regarding graphics and controls.

Broken Sword 4 has some loveable characters (Italian maffias and a gay priest among others) and many of the puzzles are really interesting and nicely tied to the plot. Sam and Max does almost everything right IMO (except for being released episodical).
Old 10-16-2007, 06:48 PM   #36
merely human

I was also thinking in terms of how developers' personal lives are influenced. For example, we know that artists and writers like Chagall and Francoise Sagan were swayed here and there by things like lovers and places they've been to, and it steered the things they explored in their art. Ken Levine, who made Bioshock, was inspired by the ideas of Objectivism and Ayn Rand and created Bioshock.

Do you think it's possible that game designers, and adventure game designers in particular, may or may not get out much or allow themselves to be exposed to new things so as to affect the ideas and concepts in the games they choose to work on?
Old 10-16-2007, 06:55 PM   #37
Headbanger

I think game designers in general should get out more, he he. But seriously, most great artists take inspiration from life itself just as you say, authors, painters, musicians, filmmakers and so on. That is something that I think easily can be forgotten regarding gamedesign.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:13 PM   #38
merely human

So do you think that the perceived 'lameness' in many adventure games today, as brought up by many adventure gamers such as yourself and fruithead (who started this thread) may have to do with adventure game developers not getting out enough?

If so, does that mean that designers like Tim Schafer and Jane Jensen have more of an edge because perhaps they draw from their own experiences of being more receptive to the world beyond just being locked in the game studio?
Old 10-16-2007, 07:48 PM   #39
Super Moderator

Or it could have nothing to do with the outside lives of AG developers (of which I personally do not know enough about to judge). In her original post, fruithead also mentioned some games she had fun with as well. I think whenever you get one of these 'I'm sick of/disappointed in adventure games' threads, trying to put all the blame on adventure games isn't fair.

I've not been able to finish many adventure games lately either - sure, some of them haven't clicked with me, but it's probably more due to my own state of mind (and stress) at the moment. The cause of AG slumps is often multifactorial.

Last edited by Melanie68; 10-16-2007 at 07:58 PM.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:56 PM   #40
Ronin

Quote:
More than anything, I would like to see better puzzles. Good, clever puzzles are almost extinct. Too many adventure games phone in the puzzles, either using cliches or pixel-hunting instead of creativity and logic. Some are even foregoing puzzles in favor of hand-eye challenges.