You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Unpopular Opinions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2007, 12:14 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to Mikeynuts
Default Unpopular Opinions

I apologize if there is already a similar thread…I’m just curious to see if anyone has any opinions that they believe to be unpopular?

My unpopular opinion: To a certain extent, I relish in the possibility of a dead end and/or the death of your character (without a “retry” button). For me, it makes a game more…exciting? Intense? Thrilling? Rewarding?

I just know one thing for certain: I found the narratives of Gabriel Knight 1 and Gabriel Knight 3 equally compelling. However, when I compare the endings, Gabriel Knight 1 was far more memorable. When I first entered the Voodoo Hounfour, I was terrified…my hand literally shaking with every mouse click. Does Gabriel have everything he needs? Should he enter that room? Will the next mouse click bring my ultimate doom? Every maneuver was a risk, and welcomed the possibility of permanent death (save, save, save, save) and the suspense and uncertainty made the experience so very raw.

But, in Gabriel Knight 3 – no fear, no thrill, no excitement. Sure, the story was incredible (just as great as GK 1), but I knew that if I was in Solomon’s temple, I had everything I needed to succeed. And I knew that if I died, I would be instantly returned to three seconds earlier and I could “retry” the scenario. Convenient, yes. But also…too safe. It wasn’t exciting or suspenseful. The game was in control, not me. There was nothing to lose.

Obviously there are some exceptions – it is absurd to reach a dead end at the end of a game as a result of something you missed in the first five minutes. But, that being said, there was still something special about the first Gabriel Knight and the King’s Quest games, and any other games that have “dead ends” (mostly Sierra games, I know). They always just felt so risky, so dangerous…and, albeit frustrating, that is something I truly valued. In the end, I find it much more rewarding to complete such a game.

I know a lot of people will disagree, but that is the point. Please let me know what you think, and post your own unpopular opinions (an unpopular game/genre/puzzle/etc. that you yourself enjoy/enoyed. For example: you liked the combat in Dreamfall).

Last edited by Mikeynuts; 08-04-2007 at 12:32 AM.
Old 08-04-2007, 01:47 AM   #2
QFG

I don't know exactly how unpopular it is, but almost everyone I've spoken with has considered the third Quest for Glory Game (Wages of War) the worst in the series... when I think I honestly enjoyed it the most, or maybe narrowly behind number four.
Old 08-04-2007, 01:52 AM   #3
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeynuts View Post
Obviously there are some exceptions – it is absurd to reach a dead end at the end of a game as a result of something you missed in the first five minutes.
A word of warning: NEVER play the text adventure Corruption. Or any ancient Magnetic Scroll text adventures. But Corruption is the worst of them all.

My own unpopular opinion is that FMV adventures are great.
I wish they would make a comeback. Fat chance, I know. Myst IV was a wonderful example of the technical possibilities. There are a few others like me here, but the overwhelming majority of AG posters think we're mad. That's okay, because it never fails to amaze me how they can get excited about awkward and ugly but scantily-dressed female 3D puppets...

Bad acting? I really, truly, honestly feel that's not true for most FMV games.
Old 08-04-2007, 02:07 AM   #4
Under pressure.

I like "the Orion Conspiracy".

--Erwin
Old 08-04-2007, 02:23 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fienepien View Post
I wish they would make a comeback. Fat chance, I know. Myst IV was a wonderful example of the technical possibilities. There are a few others like me here, but the overwhelming majority of AG posters think we're mad. That's okay, because it never fails to amaze me how they can get excited about awkward and ugly but scantily-dressed female 3D puppets...

Bad acting? I really, truly, honestly feel that's not true for most FMV games.
I , too am a huge FMV fan. Loves FMV , even horrid ones. Guess i just like the idea of an interactive movie-type game. Unfortunately , the FMV era has passed although a few games like the latest Command and conquer does still used FMV cutscenes.

The DVD release for the sequel to house of haunted hill does seemed like it had some interactivity so can it be considered a interactive movie similiar to some FMV games ?!?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSCEkiD2Tt4
Old 08-04-2007, 02:38 AM   #6

I'm with Mikey on death in games. Having a retry button, or worse and automatic retry, seems pointless - you might as well not include death.

I quite like mechanical and logic puzzles (by logic puzzles I mean the whole "A is older than B who doesn't own a goldfish; the dog owner is in his forties" kind of thing), though when they seem to take over from any kind of story, as in Myst, it's going too far.
Old 08-04-2007, 02:45 AM   #7
handsome

Unpopulor Opinions? ok .. Day of the Tentacle is overrated
Old 08-04-2007, 02:54 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAgUh View Post
I'll go a step further and say I think it sucks.
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]
Old 08-04-2007, 03:06 AM   #9
Lazy Bee

I didn't enjoy Full Throttle.
Old 08-04-2007, 03:18 AM   #10
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurufinwe View Post
Oh? Why?

Yes, I'm interested.
Old 08-04-2007, 06:02 AM   #11

I hated The Last Express.

There, I said it.
Old 08-04-2007, 06:50 AM   #12
Freeware Co-ordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAgUh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurufinwe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelena View Post
I didn't enjoy Full Throttle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dantebk View Post
I hated The Last Express.

There, I said it.
As Fienepien has said re DOTT, why is that? Just saying you hate a game (or even just didn't enjoy it) tells us nothing. What is fascinating is why people like/dislike different games.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 08-04-2007, 07:03 AM   #13
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepurhan View Post
As Fienepien has said re DOTT, why is that? Just saying you hate a game (or even just didn't enjoy it) tells us nothing. What is fascinating is why people like/dislike different games.
A fair request. I couldn't connect to either the Ben- nor Maureen-character and there was this horrible bike-fight I hardly could handle even with all the instructions from UHS hints.
Old 08-04-2007, 07:38 AM   #14
Puts the 'e' in Mark

I don't enjoy adventure games primarily for their puzzles, and I don't care when a game is a bit easier than it could have been (which would only appease a hardcore minority).

Yeah, raw words.
Old 08-04-2007, 08:02 AM   #15

All right I liked the combat in Dreamfall. Only because it was easy. I really suck at combat and get killed easily so the combat in Dreamfall worked for me. Sure it could have been improved though.

Also it seems like quite a few people don't like keyboard control, but I don't mind it at all. Controls don't matter as much to me.

Oh yeah and I really had fun with King's Quest 8, but only if I play on god mode.

Also Escape From Monkey Island was my second favorite in the MI series, and I liked Monkey Kombat.
Old 08-04-2007, 09:14 AM   #16

Send a message via AIM to Mikeynuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fienepien View Post
I gotta agree with that.

Despite their major flaws, I absolutely love both Phantasmagoria games. I had a blast being able to immerse myself into a cheesy horror flick - something that I think only FMV could accomplish.
Old 08-04-2007, 10:08 AM   #17
Master of time and space

I really disliked Gabriel Knight 2. I was a chore of running around finding the few hot spots that existed.
Old 08-04-2007, 10:19 AM   #18
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

I like logic puzzles better than ridiculous inventory puzzles, but I also like third-person cartoon adventures better than the lot, and those tend to have ridiculous inventory puzzles in excess.

To tell you the truth, I think interactive stories should just be interactive stories, and puzzle games should just be puzzle games. There's no real need for them to mix unless there's a valid artistic reason for it.

I didn't think Sam & Max Hit the Road was all that great, at least in comparison to the other Lucas games of its time. Mind you, I don't think Sam & Max are all that awesome as characters in and of themselves. I mean, they're amusing and all, but I just fail to see their relative awesomeness.

I generally like games that are ports to the DS/Wii better than I like games that are specifically made to take full advantage of the DS/Wii's features. (e.g. I liked Phoenix Wright better than Trace Memory.)

I really, really loved Full Throttle, and didn't think it was too short at all.

I'm a big fan of Bud Tucker in Double Trouble.

I really like what people are doing in the IF community in terms of breaking away from imitation and attempting innovation, and really wish the amateur adventure development community would follow suit. (I mean, yes, some people are doing some exciting things, but there's still a huge majority that seems to be in it solely for the nostalgia.) I also wish I didn't hate text parsers.

Come to think of it, I wish the amateur adventure development community wasn't so divided by the engines people used. Another way in which they could stand to follow the IF community's example.

I've never used AGS to build a game, because in my eyes, there's always been a superior alternative out there for me to use.

I'd say something about absolutely loving Richard Longhurst and the Box That Ate Time, but that's not an unpopular opinion at all.
Old 08-04-2007, 10:25 AM   #19
Elegantly copy+pasted

I think there is a place for a nice maze in many adventure games.
Old 08-04-2007, 10:29 AM   #20
"But... It's Pink."

I Loved Post Mortem and Journey to the Centre of the Earth. I play them both repeatedly, despite a couple of lousy puzzles and glitches.