• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

boldy50

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

[Archived] Time for a new community playthrough?

Total Posts: 173

Joined 2012-08-06

PM

I would have played AVS four years ago when it was released but shortly after I read:

In this adventure game you play as a young female vampiress and her bat-sidekick. Created by Bill Tiller (The Curse Of Monkey Island), the game is the first in a planned trilogy.

I can’t find any definitive information regarding the progress of the sequels, A Bat’s Tale and City of Light if I’m not mistaken. Thus I am still rather reluctant as to acquiring the game. Am I being irrational? Confused

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.

Give a man a rod and he will sit on a boat and drink beer all day. - USA Network

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Bonsai - 22 May 2013 04:25 PM

Have you ever played Obsidian?

No - But the combination of being almost impossible to find legally, and the style of the game: First-Person, Slideshow and Solitary Exploration, which really isn’t my kind of game, made me prefer AVS of the two.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

RayB - 22 May 2013 04:55 PM

I would have played AVS four years ago when it was released but shortly after I read:

In this adventure game you play as a young female vampiress and her bat-sidekick. Created by Bill Tiller (The Curse Of Monkey Island), the game is the first in a planned trilogy.

I can’t find any definitive information regarding the progress of the sequels, A Bat’s Tale and City of Light if I’m not mistaken. Thus I am still rather reluctant as to acquiring the game. Am I being irrational? Confused

If I remember correctly Autumn Moon does not exists anymore Frown
At least both A Vampyre Story 2: A Bat’s Tale, and A Vampyre Story: Year One, has been canceled or put on hold, and will most likely never be made.

I don’t know if you are being irrational, but AVS can be enjoyed on its own without the sequel, though it is a bit annoying that we never get the full story.

Total Posts: 359

Joined 2012-02-16

PM

RayB - 22 May 2013 04:55 PM

I wouldn’t say you are being irrational. AVS has a classical to-be-continued ending that fails to resolve any of the storyline threads.

Iznogood - 22 May 2013 04:58 PM

No - But the combination of being almost impossible to find legally, and the style of the game: First-Person, Slideshow and Solitary Exploration, which really isn’t my kind of game, made me prefer AVS of the two.

Well, those kinds of games are certainly not my cup o’ joe either but, at least for me, Obsidian completely transcended its genre characteristics. I said more about it in the blurby thing I wrote earlier in the thread. That was the main reason I proposed it actually - it felt like it’s a game that everyone can enjoy.

EDIT: In fact, I am tempted to say that Obsidian is a game that everyone will enjoy. It doesn’t magically make all Myst-likes fun (if only more of them were like Obsidian…) but it succeeds magnificently at everything else.

Joined 2012-08-06

PM

Iznogood - 22 May 2013 05:06 PM

I don’t know if you are being irrational, but AVS can be enjoyed on its own without the sequel, though it is a bit annoying that we never get the full story.

Well then, at least I was able to purchase it for half (the original) price. Laughing

Give a man a rod and he will sit on a boat and drink beer all day. - USA Network

Total Posts: 473

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

No - But the combination of being almost impossible to find legally

Just correcting you:

Anywhere from $8.00 up. 

Obsidian Ebay

Obsidian Amazon

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Bonsai - 22 May 2013 05:25 PM

No - But the combination of being almost impossible to find legally

Just correcting you:

Anywhere from $8.00 up. 

Obsidian Ebay

Obsidian Amazon

As a European i don’t buy physical copies from USA, i neither want to pay a fortune for priority shipping, or want to wait for weeks for the game to arrive. If it was available for download or i could buy a physical copy locally, then it would be another matter.

I should probably have clarified that in my previous post.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Iznogood - 22 May 2013 05:06 PM

At least both A Vampyre Story 2: A Bat’s Tale, and A Vampyre Story: Year One, has been canceled or put on hold, and will most likely never be made.

AVS Year One is coming to Kickstarter soon

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Iznogood - 22 May 2013 05:39 PM

As a European i don’t buy physical copies from USA, i neither want to pay a fortune for priority shipping, or want to wait for weeks for the game to arrive. If it was available for download or i could buy a physical copy locally, then it would be another matter.

I should probably have clarified that in my previous post.

The thing is that it’s not even available in Amazon in Europe, I at least use that. I have a few items piling up to purchase from Amazon US but the shipping fees and duration might be something hilarious.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 2989

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

FINAL RESULTS
Obsidian: TerminusEst (leader), Sefir, Dara100, TimovieMan, millennia, Lady Kestrel, zobraks, shaetano, RayB, Bonsai, colpet
AVS: Sefir (leader), TimovieMan, wilco, Siddhi, CoyoteAG, millennia, Lady Kestrel, Oscar, shaetano, Dag, diego, Iznogood
Keepsake: diego (possible leader), Sefir, millennia, Iznogood
Amnesia: Sefir (leader), wilco, Lady Kestrel
The Cat Lady: Sefir (leader), wilco, CoyoteAG, millennia, badlemon
Discworld 1: Sefir (leader), CoyoteAG, millenia, badlemon, Iznogood, shaetano, Astrochicken
Dreamfall: Sefir (leader), CoyoteAG, badlemon, Iznogood
I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream: Sefir (leader), badlemon, Iznogood, millennia, TimovieMan, TerminusEst, Lady Kestrel, wilco, zifnab, chrissie

1. AVS: 12
2. Obsidian 11
3. IHNMAIMS 10

The big winner, after a thrilling voting is: AVS!!
I will start the appropriate thread next week, giving everyone time to acquire the game.
P.S.: As I said, I’m certain that Obsidian and IHNMAIMS will have their own playthroughs in the future.

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

I’m happy AVS managed to pull it this time, but it’s a little unfair to IHNMAIMS because it’s been available for voting much less time than other games. The way it sparked the interest so fast is probably a sign that it would win if it had been in the vote list from the beginning.

But here’s a good thing - AVS is by no means a very long game, and I’m suggesting (although, that’s Sefir’s job, really) that we utilize a faster tempo playthrough this time - I believe few weeks would be more than enough (GK1 playthrough took about a month and Discworld: Noir was over in less than a month, and they’re both longer games than AVS). That way people who’re interested in Obsidian, IHNMAIMS (boy, the only thing for I’m glad it didn’t win is because of its long title)... won’t lose the momentum and interest.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I guess Gamersgate with 7,50€ is the best place to buy AVS? I guess I still wait a few days just in case there are sales Tongue.

And I hope we do get those Obsidian and IHNMAIMS playthroughs later, and that Discworld too!

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Joined 2012-08-06

PM

Currently it’s the same price at DotEmu but at least it doubles your chances of catching a sale. Grin

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Talk about the good “timing” for community playthrough - it’s announced A Vampyre Story: Year One Kickstarter will start on Monday.

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

diego - 26 May 2013 09:54 AM

Talk about the good “timing” for community playthrough - it’s announced A Vampyre Story: Year One Kickstarter will start on Monday.

Wohoo!! Grin Grin Damn, I’ve been eagerly waiting for this, and it’s been so silent for so long, I was getting worried it would never happen Confused I’m so excited I got goosebumps all over! Here’s hoping the kickstarter will be fluid and successful Smile I will back this for sure, and then some! I hope you will too Smile

Got AVS installed and ready for the community playthrough, now all I need is some bloo… ehm.. red wine!  Naughty

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top