• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

CharophyceanchrissieKeybordz

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Friday 16 December

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Casual Friday

Posting a little early. Supposed to get another 5-10” of snow tomorrow and I have some appointments that may require some shovelling tomorrow morning. Frown Argh!

]

The screenshot is from Fear for Sale - The 13 Keys. Not a bad game. But one that has an annoying flaw, which I will get into later.

The essentials of the game are simple. You are the protagonist, Emma Roberts. Your job is that of an investigative journalist, or maybe a journalist/detective. You have been called to the Hotel Berkeley, a rundown hotel that was inherited by a husband and wife who are now running the hotel. The hotel has ghosts and other malevolent entities. You have been hired to rid the hotel of the entities as they are frightening away all the guests. Which, when you arrive, number only two. So the entities are apparently doing their job quite well. And you do your job well too. But not so well that the game comes to a satisfactory conclusion at the end of the SE version.

The game is designed by EleFun Games. There are a fair number of games in their Fear for Sale and Witches Legacy franchises. The name is similar to Elephant Games, but I was unable to find a link between the two companies. I have played at least one other Fear game, and I think I have played a Witches game, but don’t recall encountering the flaw I encountered in this game.

Which brings us to the annoying flaw. If you want the game to end in any kind of reasonably satisfying way you MUST buy the CE version. To make matters worse, there is nothing in the marketing materials that tells you this. There are games where the bonus material adds insight into what happened in the main game. Enigmatis 3 - The Shadow of Karkhala and Fright are two games like this. Then there are games where the bonus material is a worthless add on. Mystery Case Files - Shadow Lake is one of these.

But this is inexcusable. EleFun essentially doubled the price you pay for the ability to finish the game. Worse, if you bought the SE only to find out that you needed the CE to finish the game, and then purchased the CE, you paid three times the SE cost to finish the game. Pure and simple it’s a money grab. EleFun should be ashamed of designing a game this way. And Big Fish should be equally ashamed for not giving their customers sufficient purchasing information.

The game, as I said, is not bad. But if you want to buy it, wait for a really good sale and get the CE.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 343

Joined 2012-03-13

PM

I played this one and liked it. It had good atmosphere, satisfying length (for a casual) and pretty good gameplay. It dragged a bit toward the end and, you are right Tim, the ending just left me scratching my head. I did like it enough to try at least one other Fear For Sale game though.

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Hard to understand why they would design a game that is likely to piss off their customers. Doesn’t seem like a smart thing to do.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top