• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Saturday 8 October 2016

Total Posts: 5594

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

The 7th Guest

I played this game about 10 years after it was originally released in 1993 and after playing several games that were more impressive graphically, However, the creep factor, including the spooky cursors,  grabbed me right away.  I loved exploring the mansion, encountering the ghosts, and solving the mostly challenging puzzles.  Some, like the tower of Hanoi and chess puzzles, have been done to death in games since then, but I suspect that they were impressive in their day.  I remember the Stauf portrait puzzle in the screenshot as being a bit tricky but rewarding when finally solved.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

There were a few good creepy moments (RED BALLOON) but the thing I remember most is the microscope puzzle - it’s a board game you play against the computer, and the computer has a fixed length of time to decide what move to make. The faster the computer, the more moves it can ‘think’ about in that time. So running on a typical PC (with a 486 processor) at the time the game came out, it would rarely have time to find the best move and you could usually beat it. By the time I played it only a few years later, on a Pentium, it was almost unbeatable. A current processor could run about 100 times as fast as a 486, so it’s likely to make the perfect move every time - I guess you could configure DOSBox to run it slowly enough to be playable, but otherwise you’d need to skip that puzzle!

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

I remember the microscope puzzle. And also the cake puzzle. It took me so long to figure that one out.

Total Posts: 5594

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I was lucky with the microscope puzzle and solved it right away.  The most frustrating for me was the maze, mainly because I hadn’t found the clue in the bedroom before I entered it, and Stauf’s taunting got on my nerves.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Lady Kestrel - 10 October 2016 02:19 PM

I was lucky with the microscope puzzle and solved it right away.  The most frustrating for me was the maze, mainly because I hadn’t found the clue in the bedroom before I entered it, and Stauf’s taunting got on my nerves.

Feeling… lonely?

I found the clue long before I tried the maze so solving it was a piece of cake. The microscope puzzle on the other hand was hell. I played this game when it was new, but I had a pretty high-end PC at the time, so that minigame was damn near impossible even then.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top