• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

danigar

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Thursday, 22 September 2016

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Warning: Episodic Content

Some games are just not meant to be episodic, here is (I think) Dreamfall Chapters: Book 4 - Revelations, a game I have not finished because when I finally started this episode I was so lost at the conversation in the beginning that I decided to wait for a replay of the complete series.
That’s the problem when episodes just take too long and the story is complicated and not meant to be played with long breaks. Also doesn’t help when the quality of the episodes is very uneven, the third episode was so unispired it made me lose interest in the next one. A bad sequence would probably be just be something to forget in the middle of complete game (or be cutted of all fat in the editing room).

Total Posts: 5589

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Although I was a backer, I haven’t played any of the episodes yet.  I like the continuity of playing all of them together mostly because I can’t remember sh…stuff anymore. Wink

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Lady Kestrel - 22 September 2016 12:28 PM

Although I was a backer, I haven’t played any of the episodes yet.  I like the continuity of playing all of them together mostly because I can’t remember sh…stuff anymore. Wink

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

wilco - 22 September 2016 12:14 PM

That’s the problem when episodes just take too long and the story is complicated and not meant to be played with long breaks. Also doesn’t help when the quality of the episodes is very uneven, the third episode was so unispired it made me lose interest in the next one. A bad sequence would probably be just be something to forget in the middle of complete game (or be cutted of all fat in the editing room).

Pretty much the same for me. After the mess that was episode 3, I decided to wait before the whole thing was finished before starting episode 4; and then I never went back to the game—and frankly I’m not convinced I ever will: life’s too short for bad games.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Bad Game Kuru… come on

SEE, YOU MADE ME USE CAPS Tongue

Revelations was full of revelations Laughing, it was the most intense Eps of the five, but yet Ep.2 remains the best. IMO

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Advie - 22 September 2016 12:50 PM

Bad Game Kuru… come on

It’s funny how the mind works. Looking at my notes, I gave 3.5/5 to episodes 1 and 2 and 2.5/5 to episode 3—so clearly I didn’t hate the game. And yet, the only thing I can remember about it now is running around aimlessly in Propast, Kian’s side of the story making no progress whatsoever, and that fucking pixel-hunting sequence where you play as a baby. There must have been good moments as well, but they’ve completely vanished from my memory, and all that’s left is a very sour feeling.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Kurufinwe - 22 September 2016 03:08 PM

Bad Game Kuru… come on

It’s funny how the mind works. Looking at my notes, I gave 3.5/5 to episodes 1 and 2 and 2.5/5 to episode 3—so clearly I didn’t hate the game. And yet, the only thing I can remember about it now is running around aimlessly in Propast, Kian’s side of the story making no progress whatsoever, and that fucking pixel-hunting sequence where you play as a baby. There must have been good moments as well, but they’ve completely vanished from my memory, and all that’s left is a very sour feeling.

That’s about it, all I remember of Book 3 is that annoyting pixel-hunting hidden object baby and opening doors in the sewers as Zoe (I think it was that episode)

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Kurufinwe - 22 September 2016 12:42 PM

After the mess that was episode 3, I decided to wait before the whole thing was finished before starting episode 4; and then I never went back to the game

It’s all downhill from ep 3. Which is sad, because 1 and 2 had their moments.

Also, playing back-to-back doesn’t help with sorting out the mess of a story.

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

I’m finally getting started… After replaying the first Dreamfall, I’ve just finished the first episode which I enjoyed quite a bit (but I had played it before). I’ll start the second episode next week and will see Smile

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Kurufinwe - 22 September 2016 03:08 PM

Bad Game Kuru… come on

yea, i remember how you went bragging at the game thread about the start of Ep.3 pixel-hunt, but i also remember you wrote that once this was past,  something like it wasn’t so bad afterall.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Personally I had absolutely no problem whatsoever remembering the story between episodes, and even though the gab between episodes was larger than ideal, then it is still nothing compared to games like Kentucky Route Zero or The Journey Down, so that is not the problem imo.

The problem is that halfway through release, they completely changed the type of game that they were making. Originally it was meant to be, and was called an Adventure Game by RTG, but then starting with episode 3 they changed the description to “a story driven game with adventure elements”, and that also showed in the gameplay .. where it started spiralling towards the all consuming black hole that is TTG.
(Yes, I blame TellTale for everything that is wrong with DC Tongue)

If someone was ever to write a “Episodic Development for Dummies”, the very first paragraph should imo be: Have a clear plan for each episode right from the start, preferably a full script, and stick to that plan no matter what! The worst thing you can do, is make drastic changes in mid-development, when half the episodes has already been released.

And for those who were discouraged by EP3 and never started EP4, I can add that both EP4 and 5 are much better than EP3.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Iznogood - 23 September 2016 08:14 AM

Personally I had absolutely no problem whatsoever remembering the story between episodes, and even though the gab between episodes was larger than ideal, then it is still nothing compared to games like Kentucky Route Zero or The Journey Down, so that is not the problem imo.

The problem is that halfway through release, they completely changed the type of game that they were making. Originally it was meant to be, and was called an Adventure Game by RTG, but then starting with episode 3 they changed the description to “a story driven game with adventure elements”, and that also showed in the gameplay .. where it started spiralling towards the all consuming black hole that is TTG.

If someone was ever to write a “Episodic Development for Dummies”, the very first paragraph should imo be: Have a clear plan for each episode right from the start, preferably a full script, and stick to that plan no matter what! The worst thing you can do, is make drastic changes in mid-development, when half the episodes has already been released.

And for those who were discouraged by EP3 and never started EP4, I can add that both EP4 and 5 are much better than EP3.

I don’t think you can blame TTG on this one Smile, probably lack of funds/time and consequent need to streamline the game. But I agree with your guide entirely.
I do want to play the rest of the episodes but only after replaying the rest.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

wilco - 23 September 2016 12:28 PM
Iznogood - 23 September 2016 08:14 AM

I don’t think you can blame TTG on this one Smile, probably lack of funds/time and consequent need to streamline the game. But I agree with your guide entirely.
I do want to play the rest of the episodes but only after replaying the rest.

R,S,T
The only missing link between RTG and TTG is STG, Simplytransferedgameplay.
sorry for bad joke
Even with cliffhanger Dreamfall was better game all around.
Graphics still look better thanks to artstyle and colors.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top