• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diegoJdawg445Lady Kestrelrtrooney

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day — Saturday 15 September 2012

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Today is the 122nd anniversary of Agatha Christie’s birth, so here’s her most famous character: Hercule Poirot, here in Evil Under the Sun.

Total Posts: 299

Joined 2006-12-04

PM

Even though I didn’t think the Agatha games were anything other than just good, average, adventure games I was sorry to see the developer abandon the adventure genre in favor of making the series Casual. I was hoping that further adventures would get better with each release but, for me, that came to an abrupt halt as I don’t do casual.

Don’t Hate Me Because I Am Beautiful…There Are Many Other Reasons

Total Posts: 405

Joined 2006-04-21

PM

I really did love Evil Under The Sun… It just seemed to capture the right spirit for me.

The real problem with reality is the lack of background music.

Knightette of the Order of the Caption

Music is what feelings sound like…

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

I liked the series. The main “problem” with it, is that neither of the game stands out, nor the sequels dramatically improved upon predecessors. However, I was sad to see developer going into the casual department. At least we’re left with more of Sherlock Holmes games.

Another thing - Evil Under the Sun is probably the best game in terms of “voice mimicking” - the main actor sounds exactly like David Suchet (who himself voiced Murder on the Orient Express)

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

I have never played the series, so I am going to ask to everyone else who did: Since I have already read the books, is there any point in playing the games as well? (Is the storyline the same as in the books or perhaps offers a different viewpoint than Poirot’s ?)

Total Posts: 405

Joined 2006-04-21

PM

Sorry I haven’t read Evil Under the Sun, and I haven’t played Orient Express…

The real problem with reality is the lack of background music.

Knightette of the Order of the Caption

Music is what feelings sound like…

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

As far as I remember every game in the series change things just a bit so there’s surprise also for those who had read the books. I think it mostly concerns endings, with additional characters and subplots.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Sefir - 16 September 2012 09:28 AM

I have never played the series, so I am going to ask to everyone else who did: Since I have already read the books, is there any point in playing the games as well? (Is the storyline the same as in the books or perhaps offers a different viewpoint than Poirot’s ?)

Evil Under the Sun follows the book pretty closely, although it adds a few new subplots here and there for padding; I thought it worked, even though I already knew who the killer was. And Then There Were None, on the other hand, makes lots of changes in order to turn it from a thriller into a detective game; I thought the result was terrible. (I haven’t played Orient Express.)

Total Posts: 505

Joined 2011-01-12

PM

I loved all the games in the Agatha Christie series, though And Then There Were None was the one with the most suspense and tension.

And to answer Sefir’s question, the ending was changed in the “And Then There Were None” The killer is not the same person (and has completely different motives) as in the book.

I do not know about the other 2 games, since I didn’t read the books.

Anyway, both Agatha Christie books, and games, as well as the Hercule Poirot and Miss Marple TV Shows, are my absolute favourites.

It’s so sad that they never made more than three games. Cry (And I don’t really like casual games) I’m still hoping that some day another proper Hercule Poirot (or maybe Jane Marple) adventure game, will be made. Foot in mouth

Everything you need to know about me has already been told.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

SweetDalilah -

I loved all the games in the Agatha Christie series, though And Then There Were None was the one with the most suspense and tension.

Darn, I’m sad to hear this.
If three games can be played in any order, I always prefer to *keep the best for last*, and ATTWN is the only one of the three I’ve played so far…
Unless of course the “suspense and tension” part has nothing to do with the quality of the game itself?

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

SweetDalilah - 07 October 2012 05:02 PM

And to answer Sefir’s question, the ending was changed in the “And Then There Were None”

Glad to hear it Sweet D. Perhaps I’ll give it a shot.

Total Posts: 505

Joined 2011-01-12

PM

TimovieMan - 08 October 2012 11:39 AM

Darn, I’m sad to hear this.
If three games can be played in any order, I always prefer to *keep the best for last*, and ATTWN is the only one of the three I’ve played so far…
Unless of course the “suspense and tension” part has nothing to do with the quality of the game itself?

Well ATTWN is definitely best in terms of the whole atmosphere, but “Evil Under the Sun”, is quite open-world, you can travel to a lot of different locations, see the beach, travel by boat, see a lot of greenish, grassy paths surrounding the houses and shops Heart Eyes, plus you get to play as Hercule Poirot and Hercule Poirot nonetheless.

While in “Murder on the Orient Express” you explore the train, and the snowy regions around it (which is nice if you want to see every single part of the train), and you play as a female person (instead of Poirot, who had an unexpected injury), and then give out reports to Poirot during the game.

So, I’d put Evil Under the Sun in the second place and “Murder on the Orient Express” in the last, but that’s just my opinion. You might like the other two better, who knows. Wink

Sefir - 08 October 2012 11:55 AM
SweetDalilah - 07 October 2012 05:02 PM

And to answer Sefir’s question, the ending was changed in the “And Then There Were None” 

Glad to hear it Sweet D. Perhaps I’ll give it a shot.

Try it, I’m sure you won’t be disappointed. Grin

Everything you need to know about me has already been told.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top