• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Dale

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Saturday 10 Sept. 2016

Total Posts: 5594

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon

Callahan’s is one of the best games I have ever played.  Your character, Jake Stonebender, is an all-round nice guy who you can’t help but love as he assists his friends on their problem-solving adventures.  The dialogue and situations are often laugh-out-loud funny, but there are some very poignant moments in the game as well.  The puzzles are varied and clever, and the story is totally engrossing.  On a scale of 1-5, it’s a 5+++ for me.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

While there’s no doubt it’s an amazing game something about the puzzle design I didn’t like (and not just the crosswords), maybe they were just too hard for me.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

CCS is a great game, has the highest frequency of puns I’ve ever seen in a game, and despite how insanely funny it is throughout, this sequence makes me cry every time.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 5594

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Me too, Timo.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

The thing is also, throughout the entire game, Jake Stonebender is VERY likeable, but that sequence makes him incredibly (tragically) human as well. The result is that Stonebender is one of the most well-rounded protagonists I’ve ever played in ANY game. The guy felt like family after I’d completed CCS, and that sequence was the pivotal moment for this. And it’s basically just ONE short serious sequence in an otherwise hilarious game.

Full credit to Josh Mandel for the great writing, imo, and Jeff Baker for the amazing voice acting.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top