• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day — Thursday 13 September 2012

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Today, Still Life 2! I haven’t played it, but clearly Victoria likes revisiting her old cases.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

First one is better.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 643

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

Didn’t play SL2. Everyone seemed to hate it. Worth playing?

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Still Life 2 is slightly underrated.

It’s sort like a Monkey Island 3 to its predecessors - sequel to a popular game by a totally different team. Too bad it isn’t such of a great game on it’s own terms, as well.

Often mentioned design issue with inventory is a real party pooper. Really, who “thought” of that? Even Sierra hadn’t been able to think of it in order to additionally frustrate the players. Also, it’s not such of a big problem that majority if it happens in a big house as there’re great games contained within one place, but navigation is tiresome, and also - the game loses it somewhere between trying to be murder-mystery and horror.

However, it has its strong sides, and I’m mainly thinking puzzles, because it features couple of “out of the box” problems which I’ve found quite refreshing. Too bad they’re overshadowed by the ridiculous “storage cabinets”. But really, it’s like Sierra emerged from the ashes with a devilish laugh, mocking the lack of frustration, spitting on “highlight all hotspots” and farting on “skip puzzle” option, so it can’t be all that bad. Smile

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I have this on my list of games to play, right after the first one (haven’t played that either).
If I like the first one, then I’ll definitely give this one a go, despite all the criticism it gets…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 4254

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

TimovieMan - 13 September 2012 05:03 PM

If I like the first one, then I’ll definitely give this one a go

Conclusion: You’ll give SL2 a go.

Still Life is a very good game (it’s excellent save for a couple of idiotic puzzles; cookies, anyone?) with a hell of a cliffhanger that (as far as I know) doesn’t get resolved in SL2.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 532

Joined 2009-06-07

PM

I didn’t play SL2 but I watched the video walkthrough. First the good: the storyline from SL1 gets resolved. But it’s a totally ridiculous conclusion and the second storyline is like a Saw script that got tossed. The game lacks any originallity or the stylishness of the original. I for one am very glad I didn’t spend money on this drivel.

Total Posts: 444

Joined 2012-03-30

PM

grrr those cookies. don’t remind me. I still can’t forgive the designers about the crime of creating the hardest puzzle for a meaningless thing like making some dessert in a game with a psycho-thriller plot. The game was good, though (the first one, haven’t tried the sequel). But is was way more joy for me to play with Gus than with Victoria.

Total Posts: 406

Joined 2006-04-21

PM

I do want to play the Still Life games… but first I have to finish Post Mortem. I kept the saved games off my old computer but it’s been enough years that I have no idea what I was doing. So many games to restart and finish…

The real problem with reality is the lack of background music.

Knightette of the Order of the Caption

Music is what feelings sound like…

Total Posts: 134

Joined 2007-03-25

PM

Still Life 2 is worth playing for one reason: It makes you realize how amazing Still Life 1 is. Its horrible gameplay, buggy-ness and frustrating puzzles and inventory system make Still Life—one of the greatest adventures of last decade—look all the more amazing. The “resolving ending” means nothing, as the original team wasn’t involved. You might as well turn to fan fiction for a more plausible resolution. After all, the “secret of Monkey Island” doesn’t mean a whole lot if it’s not the one Ron Gilbert thought up, right?

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top