• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

GabrielJdawg445Undefinedwalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Monday 29 August

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Foundations

Admittedly not the Isaac Asimov inspired game I might have hoped for from the title but a little beauty nonetheless!

Created for last year’s Adventure Jam, and winner of a Developer’s Choice Award there, Foundations is a little sci-fi dystopian adventure which offers so much promise in such a short space of time that it really is a full length game I would pay to play.

You play as Nara, a scavenger living outside “the wall” which surrounds what appears to be the only remaining “civilised society” left, with no way in except the promise of entry for exiles who can earn enough “recycling points”, although whether that is real or merely tool to make scavengers work is anyone’s guess.

Nara is getting thinner as life gets harder and she needs a way in.

There are a couple of things I really like about this game. The first is the fact you feel like you’re in a deep and fleshed our world from almost the word go. The second is that you’re sent straight into the action and the puzzles that this short game contains are strong and packed in nicely, so you don’t feel you are wading through loads of story and dialogue to get to them. To achieve both of those things together makes this game special.

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 5050

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

When I first log on to AG it opens at the review page. In the right-hand sidebar there is an ad for Adventure Creator. Is that the engine that is used to create all the indie/freeware adventures that you post here? The advertising blurb essentially says “create your own adventure games for only $39” I remember way back when, when Josh and I were discussing an FPFP sequel. (If only we could get the IP at a reasonable price, which we couldn’t) And it wasn’t quite that simple.

I wonder if you could give us a paragraph or two as to how these games get produced from the technical side. I imagine we all know how hard it is from the creative side.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

rtrooney - 30 August 2016 06:50 PM

When I first log on to AG it opens at the review page. In the right-hand sidebar there is an ad for Adventure Creator. Is that the engine that is used to create all the indie/freeware adventures that you post here?

I haven’t seen an ad here, but Adventure Creator looks to be a Unity extension for making adventure games. I’ve only heard of a couple of the games listed as having been made with it, but then it’s new.

Foundations, along with many free and some commercial games (such as Wadjet Eye’s), was created with Adventure Game Studio, which is free to download for Windows:
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/

I haven’t used AGS - I’d be interested in a brief intro from someone who has - but there is quite a bit of tutorial material there and a well-established community.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

It was there yesterday, but is gone today. May have been a one-day thing.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

What’s gone?
In case you meant Foundations, its page is here:
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/1913/

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

most interesting!

thanx Intense

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Phlebas - 31 August 2016 10:41 AM

What’s gone?
In case you meant Foundations, its page is here:
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/1913/

No, I meant the ad for Adventure Creator is gone.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top