• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Saturday 27 August 2016

Total Posts: 5589

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

The Space Bar

This is a game of split personalities, not only because you get to play as ten different characters (one human and nine different aliens) but that the game itself is split between being tremendously fun to head-bangingly frustrating.  While playing it, I alternately wanted to hug its creator, Steve Meretzky, and throw him into a pit of vipers.  Still, this is a unique gem of a game that will consume hours of your life and leave you wanting more.

In the screenshot, you are playing as Click, an alien who uses echolocation instead of eyes to see his world.  The apparatus is used to analyze the ingredients for a special kind of bomb.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 5046

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I’ve heard a lot about this game, but never played it. Don’t know why. Just more games in line ahead of it I guess. Although with more games coming out, think Obduction,that are beyond my computer’s capabilities. I may start to look for and play older games such as this.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

One of the most difficult games, and at the same time one of the games that “breathes” a lot, you really feel like you’re “there”. Frustrating, yes, but not for a second a boring game.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Just reading Lady K’s description makes me want to play this game. Um, isn’t this the one where there’s a section where you have to move absolutely perfectly—any step in the wrong direction brings failure?

Total Posts: 7439

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Becky - 28 August 2016 08:42 AM

Just reading Lady K’s description makes me want to play this game. Um, isn’t this the one where there’s a section where you have to move absolutely perfectly—any step in the wrong direction brings failure?

Yes. LadyKestrel’s pic is from that part of the game. Fun! Smile It’s a great game filled with bizarre creatures. Just very difficult.

PS: Your every move counts in many other sections too. Legacy of the text adventures Steve Meretzky created.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

There are several situations like that in the game, Becky.  The three that come to mind are trying to board the bus as Thud and Fleebix, Click’s vine swinging to escape the police, and the robot’s game of veebleball

One of the more frustrating parts of the game is knowing how long to wait for something.  You have a dial to advance the time, but knowing how long to wait is tricky.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I managed to get the game after the CPT which tempted me to track it down but haven’t had too much mood/time to invest in it yet + I’m apprehensive as the game’s coming across as very hard?  Gasp

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Veebleball? Let me guess—the ball is a sentient life form, right?

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Veebleball rules mainly concern arguing and getting physical with the refs.  Clubs are used.  Appropriately, the bot’s name is Dirtkicker. Smile

Total Posts: 7439

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Here are the very important Veebleball rules:

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

rtrooney - 27 August 2016 06:50 PM

I’ve heard a lot about this game, but never played it. Don’t know why. Just more games in line ahead of it I guess. Although with more games coming out, think Obduction,that are beyond my computer’s capabilities. I may start to look for and play older games such as this.

Do take a look a the CPT if you decide to play The Space Bar.

It might not be the easiest game to set up (just check the steps in the first post of the CPT). I played it in a Virtual Machine with Win98 myself.
And getting it to run is just the first of many hard puzzles… Tongue

Very funny game, though.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Lady Kestrel - 28 August 2016 03:09 PM

Veebleball rules mainly concern arguing and getting physical with the refs.  Clubs are used.

Sounds a lot like baseball.

The rules must be delicious! It looks like someone ate most of them.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top