• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Friday 12 August

Total Posts: 5046

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Casual Friday

We’re looking at an image from Hidden Mysteries: Notre Dame - Secrets of Paris. It’s a nice little game that ought to take you about five or six hours to complete the first time. Second time, if you don’t finish it under two hours, your not trying hard enough. I’m not saying there is no replay value. Sometimes it’s fun to see how fast you can do something once you know how it’s done. Because of a “bug” crabapple and I were both stuck in the game A Vampyre Story. We had already played the game up to the point where the bug kicked in. Even though we were forced to replay from the beginning. We were able to play the first half of the story in about 1.5 hours.

The basic story here is that you have been assigned to investigate the theft of a valuable relic that was on display at Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris. During the investigation you will meet with some well known, and not so well known ghosts who are in some way connected to the church. Napoleon, Joan of Arc and Victor Hugo are three of the well knowns.

There are some interesting puzzles. For example you have to find the right path through a grid of stones in order to find which stone to move. You have to solve a combination lock using equations written in roman numerals. But this is essentially a hidden object game. That’s not surprising since the game came out in early 2011. Most games of that era were based on HO scenes.

The investigation takes place in less than one day’s time. You arrive at the cathedral when it is night time, and it is still dark when you finish. You are one fast detective!

There are several games in this Hidden Mysteries series. All are from Gunnar Games. One I remember was based on the Salem witch trials. Another dealt with vampires. I enjoyed all the ones I played. But they all lacked the advanced story telling and plotting that started to appear around 2013. (That’s a generality!)

One final thought: I have never visited Notre Dame Cathedral. (Stop! I have visited the one on the campus of the University of Notre Dame in Indiana, because that’s where I went to school. The real name though is Holy Name Cathedral. I’ll explain privately to anyone who is interested.) But not the one in Paris. The exterior in the above screenshot looks good to me. I have no way of knowing whether the interiors or any of the exterior locations bear even a passing grade when it comes to authenticity. Never having been there, I was able to play with a degree of innocense. Those of you who have seen the real thing might be put off if there is a lack of authenticity.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Too bad the screenshot is so empty. It’s in the middle of Paris, there are people 24/7.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Aside from the five ghosts you meet, there is only one living character in the game. Aside from you, of course.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

I can sort of remember the screenshot, though I don’t remember the game very well.

TimovieMan - 12 August 2016 10:38 AM

Too bad the screenshot is so empty. It’s in the middle of Paris, there are people 24/7.

I thought there was some reason given about why there weren’t any people in this particular area around Notre Dame. Your character had special reason to be there because you were “The Detective” but the public was barred from the area at the time the game took place.
I might be thinking of a different game though. Like I said, I don’t remember this one that well.

Total Posts: 5589

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I enjoyed this and the other games in the series.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 343

Joined 2012-03-13

PM

crabapple - 12 August 2016 01:13 PM

I can sort of remember the screenshot, though I don’t remember the game very well.

TimovieMan - 12 August 2016 10:38 AM

I thought there was some reason given about why there weren’t any people in this particular area around Notre Dame. Your character had special reason to be there because you were “The Detective” but the public was barred from the area at the time the game took place.
I might be thinking of a different game though. Like I said, I don’t remember this one that well.

You might be thinking of 9: The Dark Side of Notre Dame where you are hired to solve a mystery and the cathedral is “closed for restoration” while you do so.

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

Could be. I’ve played more than one game with that explanation and I have both games.
But Dark Side of Notre Dame starts out differently from the game I’m thinking of

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Although I had not played the game, Lady K also posted a Notre Dame adventure AGSOTD a few Saturdays ago. Maybe that’s the one you are thinking of.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top