• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

IronCretinLady Kestrelwalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Friday 15 July

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Casual Friday

This little game, Elly Cooper and the City of Antiquity, was suggested by Lady Kestrel. And I thank her for that.

Pretty much the entire game has a sepia-tone quality about it, with much of the first part drawn in the Art-Deco style of the mid-1920s through the early 1940s. It is only when you reach the last section of the game that the colors take on a more vibrant
appearance.

Elly Cooper and the City of Antiquity was developed by a very small indie group, Sobai Games, located on Puget Sound in Washington State, US. The graphics, in general are very good. The voice acting is fair. I’ve definitely heard worse. The music is appropriate to the scenes. Aside from the story/plot/dialog, the music seems to be the only thing that is original to the game.

The hidden object scenes are maddening. The objects themselves are very small and often well-camouflaged, making them very difficult to spot in the scene that they are placed in. The basic construction of the scenes is very reminiscent the same type of
scene produced by Jane Jensen’s casual game operations, Oberon Games and Lighthouse Games. If you’ve played Agatha Christie’s Death on the Nile game you will notice striking stylistic similarities.

The puzzles are quite good, although the puzzle descriptions are often unclear. And even when you think you understand the puzzle, the actual execution of the puzzle mechanics is often confusing. I visited the Sobai website, and noticed that they are aware of these shortcomings, and state that these problems will be remedied in their next game. (Assuming there is a next game.)

It’s worth a buy if you are aware of the problems going in, and are willing to overlook them.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 442

Joined 2006-06-14

PM

I’d love to play this as I’m a pushover for Egyptian themed games, but I’m afraid the obscure hogs would drive me crazy.  They are usually the ones too that will penalize you if you guess too much.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Dara100 - 15 July 2016 01:30 PM

I’d love to play this as I’m a pushover for Egyptian themed ....

Wink

Total Posts: 5595

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I haven’t played this one, Tim.  Someone else must have recommended it to you.

No wonder the poor sphinx’s face is worn off, Advie.  Grin I’ve seen pictures of people propping us the tower of Piza, but I hadn’t seen these before.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Lady Kestrel - 15 July 2016 03:16 PM

I haven’t played this one, Tim.  Someone else must have recommended it to you.

You’re right. Colpet deserves the credit for recommending the game. Still, you’ve recommended enough to justify a little credit even if it wasn’t warranted in this case. Smile

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Lady Kestrel - 15 July 2016 03:16 PM

No wonder the poor sphinx’s face is worn off…

no LadyK, that’s another story…. it was because of that time when he ‘blew’ his nose Smile

Total Posts: 5595

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Heh.  Are you saying he has an explosive personality, Advie? Wink

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Michael Jackson lived in Ancient Egypt… Tongue

Pardon the bump, I’ve accumulated a lot of backlog while vacationing (and consequently waiting an extra week to find enough time to get through most of said backlog).

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

TimovieMan - 06 August 2016 07:31 PM

Michael Jackson lived in Ancient Egypt… Tongue

Pardon the bump, I’ve accumulated a lot of backlog while vacationing (and consequently waiting an extra week to find enough time to get through most of said backlog).

Nice to have you back Tim Smile

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top