• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Saturday 2 July

Total Posts: 5589

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Lighthouse: The Dark Being

After getting a panicked call for help from the widower who lives in the nearby lighthouse, you arrive to find his baby daughter alone but seemingly safe in her crib.  You explore the home, hoping to find out what happened to the man, but when you return to the baby’s room, you watch her being taken through some sort of portal by a strange and rather sinister looking being.  At that moment, you must decide whether or not to jump through the portal yourself or see if you can find out more information before you leap.  Sooner or later, you’ll enter the strange world of that dark being and begin your quest to find the missing man and his daughter. 

This is a long adventure with many unusual modes of transportation to take you to different parts of the world.  You’ll encounter a some beings who will either thwart or help you, and your reactions to them can change the order in which you explore.  You’ll also have to solve a multitude of puzzles, some of which are quite challenging but still well-integrated into the story.

The mechanical birdman in the screenshot is one who tries to thwart you by taking things you need.  Fortunately, the area has a good supply of rocks.  Wink

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Lady Kestrel - 02 July 2016 04:48 AM

The mechanical birdman in the screenshot is one who tries to thwart you by taking things you need.  Fortunately, the area has a good supply of rocks.  Wink

Wait, so out of all the cool things in your inventory he steals your rocks? Silly birdman.  Tongue

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I remember this one, I never played many Myst-like games but enjoying it until I found out the second cd was not working, never finished it.

Total Posts: 442

Joined 2006-06-14

PM

I loved this game.  It was one of the first I played and it still holds up today.  The last act is especially suspenseful.  It’s worth playing if you can get your hands on a copy. 

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Oscar - 02 July 2016 04:54 AM

Wait, so out of all the cool things in your inventory he steals your rocks? Silly birdman.  Tongue

Silly Oscar!  Birdman doesn’t like rocks, especially if you aim well. Smile

Dara,
I loved the game as well, despite some difficult to control mechanisms and a certain puzzle box.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 4254

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Lady Kestrel - 02 July 2016 12:05 PM

... a certain puzzle box.

The one we know so well from one of the MMFTs:

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I don’t remember the puzzle box so I guess that it featured in a MMFT before I’d discovered the dastardly puzzling fun to be had in them? or maybe I just failed!  Laughing

I’ve been intrigued by the game from the description & the many interesting screenshots that I’ve seen but it seems like a game I’d need a few hints to get through? i.e. is it difficult? (apart from the mentioned puzzle box) Laughing

Total Posts: 5046

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Was one of my favorites from that era, along with the two Shivers games. Although I think this era was also where Sierra started to lose it’s direction. The three games mentioned above were all Myst-style games. And from what I heard, Ken Williams was also very impressed with Tomb Raider and wanted to do Tomb Raider-style games. In other words, Sierra had become a follower rather than the pace-setter. (There are, of course, some exceptions.)

I still have all three on my bookshelf. Have not tried to play them on my current system.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 442

Joined 2006-06-14

PM

chrissie - 02 July 2016 01:43 PM

...is it difficult? (apart from the mentioned puzzle box) Laughing

Well, I played it as a newbie a long time and hundreds of games ago so my memory of it is a bit hazy.  I think that I did find it a bit challenging at the time but I didn’t have access to any internet hints and enjoyed it anyway. It’s a great game.

Edit:

I just fired it up on my WinXP drive and loved the Sierra logo and music.  The cut scenes are interlaced video (lines) but the rest looks great on a large monitor.  I almost got lost in it again but…UGH…MUST…PAY…BILLS first.  There is a 1.2 version or at least a patch which helps with the navigation and adds a few more options.

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

chrissie - 02 July 2016 01:43 PM

I don’t remember the puzzle box so I guess that it featured in a MMFT before I’d discovered the dastardly puzzling fun to be had in them?

That’s right. Puzzle box featured in (aptly named) Your Worst Nightmare in 2011.

Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I remember looking at a walkthrough to figure out something about the elevator in the lava pit.  I think the controls were a bit wonky or I wasn’t doing them right.

Zobraks,
Ah, yes.  That was from Angelfire’s Nightmare composite scene in the 2011 tournament.  She and I used to take turns doing them, but the original idea came from one Bastich did ages ago.

Edit:  Heh.  You beat me to it, Z.  It must have impressed itself indelibly on your memory.  Wink

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Gog should start releasing another batch of Sierra games with this, Shivers, Manhunter and others missing

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Lady Kestrel - 02 July 2016 03:06 PM

It must have impressed itself indelibly on your memory.  Wink

You bet, but that had happened long before you’ve used it in MMFT. I’ve been wondering what that thingie was since the first time I had seen it, around 2004.

Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Always wanted to try this one. I remember how it was atypical for a Sierra at the time, when FMV was all the rage. I’ll support it in the “Time for a new brawl community playthrough” thread, LadyK!

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I may propose it next time, Diego, and wouldn’t mind leading it.  I just don’t have enough time this month.

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

It’s been a while since I played this game, but I do remember wondering why the bad guy kidnapped the baby just so it could sort rocks on an assembly line. Or maybe I’m remembering this incorrectly?

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top