• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

SpeedBo

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Saturday 25 June

Total Posts: 5568

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

The Castle

In this Mac game, published in 1998 by Blue-Line Studios, you arrive at the gates of this strange castle, not knowing at first why you’re there.  After you find your way inside, you begin to explore and find pages of a diary scattered around the grounds and house.  When you discover the diary itself, you begin to piece together a love triangle between the beautiful blue-eyed Noemi, the owner of the diary, and two men who have visited here on vacation.  Where they are now is something you must find out. 

There are some traditional puzzles to solve, including a slider and a hedge maze, and there are some inventory items to find and use.  You also can control a mechanism which changes day into night, and you must reexplore the grounds in the dark to find more items.  None of the puzzles are particularly difficult, except learning how to use the oars to propel the rowboat across the lake.  The ending, including a change to a weird futuristic environment, was a complete surprise to me.  Since I was still a novice when I first played it, I should give it a replay to see if there are clues I may have missed along the way.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Thank you Lady Kestrel for the interesting description of the game! - Moby games provide a lesser one & no screenshots while The Legacy provide a lot of screenshots & no description! Smile Again MM have a nice gallery! Thumbs Up (Yours?)
I was intrigued by the story & also the ‘crisp’ graphics but was the game ever available other than on Mac?  Smile

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

No, those screenshots at MM aren’t mine.  When I played this one, I didn’t know how to do a screen capture. Meh As far as I know, it was a one-person effort and was never ported to Windows.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

A question, are these “old” Mac exclusive games playable on a newer Mac system?

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I’m not positive, Wilco, but probably not.  My copy says Mac Power PC.  I did read somewhere that they upgraded to OS X, but I think that was pre-Intel.  In any case, Blue Line Studios doesn’t seem to exist anymore.  It was a Swiss company.

Edit:  I just tried it.  My copy is only supported in Classic 9.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Thanks, the last reference I’m seeing to the game it this article in 2007 about being available for MAC OS X but since the studio is dead there is no follow-up

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

The specs for the 2011 version of “The Castle” are listed on the Web Archive page for the game website.
It lists a PowerPC G4 with OS X.

I think using an emulator would be the only way to play “The Castle”—unless you have an older PowerPC Mac.

Info on Mac emulators—http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

It will play on my old laptop and Snowball iMac running 10.6.8 with Classic 9.

Carpe chocolate.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top