• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Friday 16 June

Total Posts: 5034

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Casual Friday

I rarely upload two pictures, but I thought this might be worth it to show that the game, Royal Trouble, is a game in which you play two different characters. Specifically you play as Prince Nathaniel and Princess Loreen. Depending on which character you’re playing your likeness will appear on the screen in the lower-right-hand corner.

The game, from Orchid Games, plays much more like an adventure-lite game than a casual. More along the lines of Emerald City Confidential than Dance Macabre, the topic of my last post. That said, this is definitely a casual game. While there may be no hidden object scenes, the lack of real voice acting, the lack of character development, and the relatively short playing time are just a few of the things that separate ECC from this game.

While you play both characters, you don’t really have a choice which character you want to play. That choice is made for you. Intriguing use is made of a dumb waiter as a prop. You, as the Price, send something to the Princess via the dumb waiter. You are playing the Prince when you put the object in, but are playing the Princess when she receives the object at the other end.

There is one voice actor, the narrator, who describes the various situations encoutered during the course of the game. The narration is quite good, but all the other verbal interaction between the seven characters is in the form of dialog balloons. Granted, there would likely have been a considerable expense involved in voicing all the characters, but I think it would have greatly added to the tone of the game. (Note: There is a second game in the series. I have not played it, and don’t know whether this shortcoming was rectified in the second game.)

The graphics have a cartoonish feel to them, which is a really good thing. This is a light-hearted romp that would have been ruined by the standard, almost photo-realistic approach taken in other games. Music is totally appropriate to the game as well. The puzzles are interesting, and the solution often involves combining one, or more inventory items. I said there are no hidden object scenes. And that’s true if we’re thinking of the type of random-list scenes found in many casuals. There are a few scenes, however, that require you do do things such as finding six straight nails in a box of bent nails. It’s not exactly a hidden object scene, but the game’s designers walked right up to the edge and peeked over before they backed off.

This is a fun game to play. And I thank Becky for pointing me in its direction. It’s also a change of pace for me, as I usually post older games.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

You’ve convinced me. This could make a good CPT.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I recognise the title & was sure I must have played the game but don’t recognise the screenshots which I really like. I’ve just checked my purchase history at BFG (the only place I buy CGs from) & it’s not there. A CPT sounds good if it’s voted for hoping I have the time to participate.  Smile

Total Posts: 5568

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I remember that it was fun to play and also think it would be an enjoyable choice for a playthrough.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 343

Joined 2012-03-13

PM

Sounds fun and I sense another CPT.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

We’re about a week away from finishing the current CCPT. I don’t know how much longer the thread will stay pinned after that. There are a number of people who purchased the CE, and I’m curious what they have to say about that.

And, we’re entering the summer season. My guess is that most people have better things to do with their warm weather and sunshine than playing games.

So I really don’t know what to do at this point. I’m certainly not opposed to getting another nominating/voting session going. But I think we all need an idea of how many people will be available to participate.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 442

Joined 2006-06-14

PM

Tim, I for one had hoped to participate in the current playthrough but work demands have not provided much free time - after-hours covering for people on vacation, etc. - and I’m afraid it will be like this through the summer.

I love to see what others are doing in the game though, and will be peeking in..

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Summer is a tough time for gaming—lots of traveling to see family and gardening going on—at least, around here. I’m thrilled that you enjoyed Royal Trouble. I’ve played partway into the sequel, and it’s just as whimsical as the original game (the only voice-over so far in the sequel is the narrator). Obviously, I also think that Royal Trouble would make a great CPT.

Maybe run the next Casual CPT selection process in early September? (Just brainstorming.)

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

My thoughts exactly! Although I was thinking give the CCPT concept a rest through the rest of June, July and revisit towards the end of August. Kids will be going back to school. Annuals will be giving up their last. Veggie crops will be nearing their last harvest. A good time to get back to games.

I hope to participate in a few “garage band” sessions this summer. We’ll se how that goes.  Smile

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

New review of the second game on the front page. Also a link to a review of this game which I don’t recall ever seeing before. A bit longer and “wordier” than the above. But not terribly different in its conclusions.

Makes me want to play the second game, even if it was scored lower than the first.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

FWIW, I did play the demo of the second game, and bought it. I think the review is correct. While this is just as much fun as the first game, it isn’t produced as well.

The characters are still the same. Nathaniel is still somewhat bumbling, while occasionalally spot on. Loreen is her normal shrewd self, who often finds herself in predicaments that require Nathaniel’s help with the extraction.

This game doesn’t have the graduated hint system from the first game. I has the basic “go here” arrow system common to most casual games.

It’s a shorter game than the first. Maybe a little over 3 hours. Still, if you can find it on sale, it’s worth a buy.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top