• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Monday 6 June

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Colin Simpson Leaves Employment

So, in the words of Al Murray, ”it’s been a year!” of Freeware Monday and if I’m no wiser I am certainly older!

Anyone who has regularly read these posts will be aware that they are rarely lacking in pretension or self-importance. Well unfortunately that’s going to be taken to a whole new level this week as the game in question was created by me! This is the only one of many half-finished projects that I actually managed to complete and release, and that wasn’t even this decade! Tempus fugit etc.

As is painfully obvious, the game looks terrible. I don’t know that much about art now, but I knew a lot less then. Colour wise it is hideously over-saturated and If I had my time again the game would contain, at the very least, an advisory warning to wear dark glasses whilst playing. The sprite work and backgrounds are poor, demonstrating no understanding or form, colour or perspective, but the animation is where it gets truly appalling.

The game was not planned prior to actually making it, which is basically because it started by me trying to draw the room I was seated in using MS Paint (the old truly appalling version) one lunchtime at work, then drawing a couple of other rooms and only then realising that it might be nice to have some kind of plot and puzzles and stuff before hastily throwing together something.

I re-played it recently for the first time in years expecting to be horrified by how bad it was. Basically that was the case in terms of the visuals but the characters and dialogue weren’t quite as bad as I remembered them - which is not to say they are any good. However, one or two good points aren’t enough to make up for the bad!

Anyway, enough waffle from me. I realise that this post can only come across as a sad and desperate plea to get you to try my game, but being brutally honest you will get much more out of any of the other games I have mentioned in the last year so I really wouldn’t bother. Just a trip down memory lane for me on the 1yr anniversary of Freeware Monday!

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

LOL. Well, at least you went for an animated realism. Smile

No link??? Wink

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Yes, please post a link Intense Degree as you never know - we may find the game as entertaining as your description of it!  Laughing

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

I want a link too!

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

OK, here is the game page http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/1153/

But I assure you the above post is not false modesty, this is 30 minutes of your life you will not get back! Wink

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Intense Degree - 06 June 2016 09:24 AM

OK, here is the game page http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/1153/

But I assure you the above post is not false modesty, this is 30 minutes of your life you will not get back! Wink

I’m pretty sure most of us have wasted more time on worse. Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Intense Degree - 06 June 2016 09:24 AM

Download link doesn’t seem to be working for me… Frown Don’t hide the game from us Intense, Community playthrough of Colin Simpson is happening! Smile

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Hmmm, OK, not sure what’s happening there, try here.

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

wilco - 06 June 2016 11:02 AM

Don’t hide the game from us Intense, Community playthrough of Colin Simpson is happening! Smile

Great idea, let’s do an informal community playthrough in this thread Smile  I’ve downloaded the game, will play tonight.

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Thanks Intense Degree - that worked…. a little bit of a learning curve there but it worked!  Laughing

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Finished it, it was an entertaining half-hour, even got stuck one time getting the first aid key. Plot is solid, like an episode of The Office. Poor Pierre
Can’t say anything bad about the art since I can’t draw a straight line Tongue

Now, any plans for the sequel? Smile

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top