• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Wednesday 18 May

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

The big thing from a puzzle perspective, and what I personally love the most about Resonance, is the use of Short Term and Long Term Memory.

The idea behind Short Term Memory is that you can drag objects in the environment into your STM, and then you can use those during conversations. For example in the above screenshot we have added the terminal to our STM and we can now ask or talk to the secretary about this terminal.

Long Term Memory is a little bit different in that instead of having to manually add things to it, different events and information will automatically be added to your LTM, but the idea is the same. If you want to ask someone about it then you will have to access it from your LTM instead of simply clicking on a dialogue option that automatically pops up.

What is so brilliant about especially the STM, is that instead of simply clicking on whatever dialogue options that pops us, then it forces you to think about what you are actually trying to achieve with this conversation, and it basically turns every single conversation into a puzzle.

The STM and LTM actually works very similar to how the notepad and inventory worked in conversations in Discworld Noir which i have already covered in a previous Midweek Puzzle. The mechanics are a bit different, but the purpose is the same, to force us to think about what we want to ask, and to use the dialogues as a puzzle element.

One thing that however puzzles me a bit is, Discworld Noir is now 17 years old and Resonance is also not a completely new game any more, so why are these two games the only ones that uses it? (that I know of)
Why haven’t this kind of dialogue mechanics become and has been a standard in all AG for a long time?

Perhaps because developers tend to think of dialogue as a pure story mechanics, and don’t even consider that it can also be used for puzzles?

P.S. Resonance is also currently being playing in the Community Playthrough.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 2986

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

The good thing with the STM and LTM mechanics in comparison to the general dialog puzzles is that here you actually have to know what you are doing. There are very few cases where you can brute-force the correct sollution (same thing with the notebook in DN). Of course this adds an extra difficulty in the game, something that people with less patience will not like. It is hugely realistic however and the possibities are simply endless.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Iznogood - 18 May 2016 09:44 AM

One thing that however puzzles me a bit is, Discworld Noir is now 17 years old and Resonance is also not a completely new game any more, so why are these two games the only ones that uses it? (that I know of)
Why haven’t this kind of dialogue mechanics become and has been a standard in all AG for a long time?

While it is true that these are the only two games with this dialogue mechanic, Starship Titanic and any other game with NPCs and a parser system can technically be included.

I agree that it is a good system, and one of the things I liked about Resonance.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Like I said in the CP thread, great system. Resonance just kills the chances of using “brute force” most puzzles by having 4 different characters and this system that adds a ton of possibilities for dialogues.
It does have to keep balance and not add those typical nonsensical adventure puzzles but so far it does a great job keeping the balance.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top