• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Saturday 14 May

Total Posts: 5594

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

AMBER: Journeys Beyond

AMBER was the first spooky game I ever played, and it gave me goosebump right from the start.  Roxy, the inventor of the Astral Mobility by Electromagnetic Resonance (AMBER) device, has disappeared while investigating paranormal phenomena in an abandoned mansion.  You are asked by a mutual friend to go to the mansion to find out why Roxy hasn’t responded.  You find her wearing the device, but she is in a dream state and unresponsive when you try to wake her.  Your task is to use the equipment to investigate three entities who haunt the house and grounds and to free Roxy from her dream state without hurting her or yourself. 

I found the game suspenseful from the beginning, and I liked the fact that each ghostly world had a different style and feel to it.  The puzzles are varied and appropriate to each character’s story, but the stories themselves are what drive the game.  For me, it was the perfect introduction to a type of unsettling game I hadn’t played before and ultimately very satisfying.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Thanks Lady Kestrel for you description! Thumbs Up  - I’ve seen so many screenshots of the game but didn’t know a bean about it.  Smile

Total Posts: 4255

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

AMBER is one of my favo(u)rites, a great game, a labor of love made by two people (Frank & Susan Wimmer.) Play it by all means!

chrissie - 14 May 2016 02:49 PM

didn’t know a bean about it.

Shame on you! Read more about AMBER at metzomagic.com (a great site with AG reviews written by people who play and love adventure games.)

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Thanks zobraks for the link - the game now seems even more intriguing!  Thumbs Up

Total Posts: 4255

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

You’re welcome.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

The review here at AG is also a good one.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 5050

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

A great game that I found and bought it from a discount bin at a now-defunct CompUSA store. I still have on a shelf, although I have never managed to get it to play on any machine since I first played it on a 586.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

chrissie - 14 May 2016 03:19 PM

the game now seems even more intriguing!  Thumbs Up

I agree. The community challenge?!! Grin

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Didn’t know much about it (other than seeing some screenies), but it does sound like a good game. Cool

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

I just want to know what Roxy puts in her weed killer!  Thumbs Up

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

I played a bit of Amber some time ago but then it crashed and I couldn’t get it working again, I think - or maybe I started it just before my computer died and I couldn’t get it to run on the new one. I remember enjoying what I played of it, though - I should have another try some time.

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Oscar - 17 May 2016 08:09 AM

I just want to know what Roxy puts in her weed killer!  Thumbs Up

I could use some of that in my stone driveway right about now.  The weeds have taken over.

Total Posts: 5050

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Phlebas - 18 May 2016 04:34 AM

I played a bit of Amber some time ago but then it crashed and I couldn’t get it working again, I think - or maybe I started it just before my computer died and I couldn’t get it to run on the new one. I remember enjoying what I played of it, though - I should have another try some time.

If you find a way to get it to run on a modern machine, please let us all know what you did.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top