• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Friday 13 May

Total Posts: 5034

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Casual Friday

There aren’t very many casual games that have no hidden object scenes. This is one of the few. The game is Dark Alleys - Penumbra Motel. It’s an ERS game. And. by and large, I don’t like ERS games. But the fact that they are, to my knowledge, the only developer who risked producing an HO-free casual, gives them some street cred.

Maybe that’s a little too broad. After all, we played Emerald City Confidential as a casual. But, as we learned from the designer during the playthrough, it was designed as an “easy” adventure that had casual elements added to it at the request of the publisher. So it’s more of a hybrid casual.

There are a lot of things I didn’t like about this game. VERY tedious puzzles being first and foremost. The four door puzzles are the most obvious examples. Other elements, such as graphics and music, are to ERS’ usual high standards.

The story starts in typical fashion. And since this is Friday the 13th, you will be having some bad luck! You are driving down a rural road at dusk. It is raining. Your niece is in the back seat. You have car trouble, and pull over at a gas station that is part of the Penumbra Motel. Your niece is abducted by someone, and now you must rescue her. During your exploration you find hints to the backstory as told by newspaper clippings.

Essentially the family that owned the motel was found murdered. Two members of the family escaped. One, because he was serving in the military at the time of the murders. The other son had simply vanished. The killer, or killers, was never aprehended.

Interestingly, there is a second backstory. During your exploration you will also find film clips that were sent or brought home by the military son. His war experiences tell a tale that will help you find your niece.

The above screenshot pretty much tells you all you need to know about the condition of the property. Dark, dilapidated and dreary describes every scene. It’s an interesting game to play. It can also be quite long if you don’t use the Skip button on the tedious puzzles.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I played the demo for this game, but didn’t get any further. I’ve always assumed that it was inspired by the movie Psycho. Is that, in fact, the case?

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Obviously the setting is inspired by the Bates Motel. But not so much the story.

Interesting side note: During the opening cut scene you drive past another car crash, but don’t bother to stop and see what happened or if anyone needs help. In the same sequence you see your car from ground level as one of your tires drives over a stop sign. Neither event was explained in the game, which I though was very strange.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 343

Joined 2012-03-13

PM

I wanted to like this game as it has several elements that I normally enjoy, but the gameplay was just too tedious and I struggled to finish it. Maybe it would improve a second time around.

Total Posts: 20

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

What is an ERS game?

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

LadyLinda - 14 May 2016 09:37 AM

What is an ERS game?

ERS Games is the studio that designed and produced this game. They are a very prolific studio, and that’s not always meant as a good thing. The Puppetshow franchise is produced by ERS.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

rtrooney - 13 May 2016 02:32 PM

Obviously the setting is inspired by the Bates Motel.

Kinda hard to miss from that screenshot. Dark gloomy motel, with the house on the hill looming over it. Cool

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

furgotten - 13 May 2016 10:37 PM

I wanted to like this game as it has several elements that I normally enjoy, but the gameplay was just too tedious and I struggled to finish it. Maybe it would improve a second time around.

As long as I had it loaded for the screenshot, I figured I would replay it for a bit. I called it tedious because of many of the puzzles. But I forgot how monumentally tiring this game was to play. Lack of a map, and the only activity hint being “There’s nothing to do here.” means excessive walking and revisiting already-visited locations. I got about halfway through and gave up. I was just worn out.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top