• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

angelus_04EstherLoft

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Monday, 9 May

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Kings Quest 1

Ah the heady days of 2001, when you could create an unofficial remake of a game from one of the most popular franchises of all time (at the time anyway), release it for free and not get sued or cease and desisted into oblivion! I’m sure the fact that Vivendi would not become actvision for a few years yet had nothing to do with it!

AGD interactive, a couple of guys going by the nice and subtle name of “Tierra” at the time, were the people responsible and turned to (where else Wink) AGS to make it. The game was, understandably, very popular and after a couple of years, voice acting was added and they even managed to land Josh Mandel who had voiced King Graham in actual real life KQV & VI to play Graham in the remake. They later went on to remake KQ2 and KQ3 as well as QFG2. You may well know them from their later commercial titles, El Ammo and Mage’s initiation.

The KQ1 remake is a huge improvement on the original, being in more of a KQV style graphically and with point’n’click interface rather than parser. It is also not the same game as Sierra’s own KQ1VGA remake from 1990 which would be the one on your KQ collection. The VGA one was pretty much an exact remake with graphics in VGA, whereas the AGD one does make visual changes in terms of how some of the characters look etc. and some other things.

Anyway, it has been through some changes since 2001 and the current edition looks a fair bit better than the first one.

If you’ve never played KQ1 and you want to actually play the game to completion rather than just see a few screens of the original then this is the version I would suggest.

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Intense Degree - 09 May 2016 05:34 AM

Ah the heady days of 2001, when you could create an unofficial remake of a game from one of the most popular franchises of all time (at the time anyway), release it for free and not get sued or cease and desisted into oblivion!

I’m pretty sure you can still do that - as long as it’s not for profit.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

El Ammo .

Nice recurring joke! Smile

Oscar - 09 May 2016 06:10 AM

Ah the heady days of 2001, when you could create an unofficial remake of a game from one of the most popular franchises of all time (at the time anyway), release it for free and not get sued or cease and desisted into oblivion!

Depends on the publisher, Nintendo shut down a couple of fan projects. Konami recently shut down the Metal Gear remake. Not sure what happened to the Indiana Jones Fate of Atlantis remake.

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Oscar - 09 May 2016 06:10 AM

I was more referring to the trouble Phoenix had with KQ9, although obviously that wasn’t actually a remake. However, technically I’m sure you are correct, subject to the publisher as Wilco says! Smile

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

The 4 AGDI remakes are great, although I guess my favourite is probably KQ2, where they managed to take a shitty, shitty game and turn it into a very fine one (that still managed to pay homage to the original).

I haven’t replayed the KQ series (originals or remakes) in forever; I should do that someday.

The KQ1 remake is a huge improvement on the original, being in more of a KQV style graphically and with point’n’click interface rather than parser. It is also not the same game as Sierra’s own KQ1EGA remake from 1990 which would be the one on your KQ collection. That remake not only converted the graphics to EGA, but also made visual changes in terms of how some of the characters look etc. and some other things. The AGDI remake upgraded the graphics to VGA and added character portraits, while mostly staying very close to the EGA remake in most respects.

Fixed. Wink

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

it was nice the update they made were you can choose your game with the original dead ends or to totally avoid them.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top