• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Sefir

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Saturday 7 May 2016

Total Posts: 5592

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Zork Grand Inquisitor

I wrote this mini review many years ago, but since it still expresses my feelings about the game, I decided to use it here:

I like saying the word Zork.  There’s something special about it.  Zork.  It feels good on my tongue and somehow makes me want to giggle.  Zork, Zork, Zork.  Maybe it’s just that so many “z” words are fun to say, like Zambezi, fuzzy, nozzle, and snooze.  I’m not sure, but I do know that I loaded Zork Grand Inquisitor with a smile on my face and wore it all through the game.  I blame it mostly on the letter “z.”

The game began with an announcement regarding a curfew in Port Foozle.  “What a funny name,” I thought with a chuckle and went to visit this town.  By solving a series of puzzles, I acquired a talking lantern with the humorous name of Dalboz, who became my witty and often sarcastic sidekick. 

I had a grand time zipping [he,he] around on a nonstop subway, zooming [ha,ha] through teleporters, and zigzagging [ho, ho] through time tunnels.  I learned to cast wizards’ spells like “rezrov” [chuckle] and, after getting zapped several times, eventually won a maze game against Beelzebub himself [relieved laughter].  I met some plant life that belonged behind bars in the zoo, and some crazy characters who helped me in my quest to restore magic to the land of Zork once again.

In my travels, I learned about a company called Frobozz Electrics and their sinister machine called a Totemizer, but I just couldn’t take it too seriously because… well… those names made me grin.  In fact, when fate led to my own Totemization, I found myself chortling at the results.  Yes, even making mistakes was fun in this zany game. 

Zounds!  Who knew that being repressed by a crazed megalomanic could put such zest into my life?  Pass the Zorkmids!  It’s time to play it again.
  Grin

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Lady Kestrel - 07 May 2016 12:24 AM

Zork, Zork, Zork.  Maybe it’s just that so many “z” words are fun to say, like Zambezi, fuzzy, nozzle, and snooze.

You forgot ‘xyzzy’. Grin

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 7445

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Zork, but not Zork GI, always makes me think of words starting with an F. The wizard of Frobozz in Zork II and his crazy, sometimes very annoying, fffff… spells. Filch! Fierce! Fumble! Fear! Freeze! Float! Fudge! Fluoresce!

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

TimovieMan - 07 May 2016 07:12 AM

You forgot ‘xyzzy’. Grin

Yes, that one and buzzard.

Once or twice during the game I did think of an f word, Karlok, especially when it came to certain fizzy drinks. Smile

I haven’t played any of the other Zork games but have heard that ZGI is probably the easiest of the lot.  That’s not saying the puzzles are easy but just that you don’t die as often and when you do, it’s fun.  It makes you do dangerous things on purpose just to see what happens.  The bottomless pit and grass throcking come to mind.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I started playing the game waaay back but must persist at some point I know!  Laughing

Total Posts: 7445

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Zork GI is a great and funny game, what’s all this persisting nonsense?

Tongue

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Yes, yes, yes. The review says it all:

Got the watch the intro again when these threads come up
Curfew will begin in one second… CURFEWW! Curfew began 1 secon ago…

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Lady Kestrel - 07 May 2016 04:56 PM

I haven’t played any of the other Zork games

You should. From what I know of your tastes, I think you would like Zork Nemesis.

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Karlok - 08 May 2016 03:59 AM

Zork GI is a great and funny game, what’s all this persisting nonsense?

Tongue

Oh, just time Karlok & so many other things un-played that I want to play & having a desire to keep up with new games as well as old with so little time to do it all at the mo!  Smile

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

The best only Zork game I played. Great game. The lantern sidekick reminds me very much of my beloved Arthur from The Journeyman Project 2/3.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

Oscar - 08 May 2016 06:44 AM
Lady Kestrel - 07 May 2016 04:56 PM

I haven’t played any of the other Zork games

You should. From what I know of your tastes, I think you would like Zork Nemesis.

You should definitely play Zork Nemesis - it’s brilliant! But do be warned it’s the least Zorkian of them - it has various references to Zork lore but is played a lot straighter with less lateral thinking. The feel reminds me more of Morpheus or Faust than any of the other Zork games. Grand Inquisitor is much more true to the source material.

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I own both Zork Nemesis and Return to Zork and was reminding myself when I was looking for screenshots for this thread that I have to move them up in my play-soon queue.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top