• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Sierra_Online Games (Rank)

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

This wasn’t easy, but at the end, i tried to integrate between what i think are my favorite and what i thought are the best.

1.Space Quest IV: Roger Wilco and the Time Rippers Space Quest was so big that the whole game is a parody of its own.

2.King’s Quest VI: Heir Today, Gone Tomorrow The highest point of the Sierra timeline validity.

3.Leisure Suit Larry III: Passionate Patti in Pursuit of the Pulsating Pectorals The gameplay of this game was always too real for me.

4.Police Quest II: The Vengeance All the legit action for an adventure game is here.

5.Hero’s Quest: So You Want to Be a Hero The moment when you beat this, you are on the top of the world.

6.Gabriel Knight 3: Blood of the Sacred, Blood of the Damned Another high point at Sierra timeline validity, definitely deserves to be the last.

7.King’s Quest IV: The Perils of Rosella The idea that the game starts with almost all the possible huge* number of areas and locations is too scary (in a very unmatched good way).

8.Space Quest III: The Pirates of Pestulon This might be the best time when Sierra handled its difficult styles in a very fair way.

9.Conquests of the Longbow: The Legend of Robin Hood One of a kind!

10.Leisure Suit Larry: Love for Sail! Non linearity at best .

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

That’s a pretty solid list. It’s nice to see Gabriel Knight 3 getting some love, as personally I like it despite its clunky 90’s 3D aesthetics and a 3D engine that isn’t that great for an adventure game as such.

On the recent SQ playthrough thread I’ve come to think SQ3 a bit differently though. I don’t think it’s quite that good really from design perspective. It is at its best in the garbage freighter, as there it has very clear goal and focus: getting out. But after that it becomes a bit aimless and you can easily miss very important plot points, which make the latter part of the game seem like a random thing that just happens and Roger himself doesn’t really seem to have any motivation to do what he’s doing. Not that he has huge motivation even if you discover the plot point, but it is atleast a nudge towards one.

I did how ever fall in love with SQ5. It’s, I think, genuinely the funniest game in the series. It is perhaps too much of a pardoy towards one specific source, that being Star Trek, and as such the plot takes it time to kick off, but it’s constantly funny. And it has a focus even when you’re doing nothing but the garbage missions after you’ve gotten your capraincy.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Advie, I always wonder how you have time to work, sleep and eat in between all the time you spend thinking about, discussing, playing, replaying, re-replaying, dissecting, writing essays and making lists about Sierra.

No joke, I really am in admiration!  Innocent  Tongue

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

tomimt - 20 April 2016 11:33 AM

On the recent SQ playthrough thread I’ve come to think SQ3 a bit differently though. I don’t think it’s quite that good really from design perspective. It is at its best in the garbage freighter, as there it has very clear goal and focus: getting out. But after that it becomes a bit aimless and you can easily miss very important plot points, which make the latter part of the game seem like a random thing that just happens and Roger himself doesn’t really seem to have any motivation to do what he’s doing. Not that he has huge motivation even if you discover the plot point, but it is atleast a nudge towards one.

I thought about this many times and as the same as you especially after our recent replay, but this game was always a life time favorite it has a very solid spot in my heart for the time i played back then, it was the 3rd or 4th adventure i played after LSL1 and KQIII and at that time i wasnt sure of my love for this new genre yet, so bottomline SQIII is the one that actually did it for me, and i couldn’t deny it after even all those years

Oscar - 20 April 2016 11:36 AM

Advie, I always wonder how you have time to work, sleep and eat in between all the time you spend thinking about, discussing, playing, replaying, re-replaying, dissecting, writing essays and making lists about Sierra.

No joke, I really am in admiration!  Innocent  Tongue

Grin thanks Oscar, you have to envy my Job as a freelancer musician, it gives you all the free times in the world

Total Posts: 1653

Joined 2014-02-08

PM

Damn! I thought this was a next part of Sierra quiz! Sick

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

DarkEye - 20 April 2016 01:41 PM

Sorry

Total Posts: 1653

Joined 2014-02-08

PM

Advie - 20 April 2016 02:08 PM
DarkEye - 20 April 2016 01:41 PM

Sorry

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

He he, nice one DarkEye.

My personal favourite of the Larry games has always been Leisure Suit Larry Goes Looking for Love (In Several Wrong Places). Don’t really know why, perhaps it is just because it was the second Larry game I played, or perhaps it just clicked perfectly with me.

Otherwise I agree with most of your list Advie. At least regarding the games I have actually played.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 11

Joined 2016-04-19

PM

It’s funny, to me, I’ve been a fan of the old classics, but I have never played a Leisure Suit Larry game. An oversight I feel I need to correct now that I’m of adult and immature age to enjoy them.

Total Posts: 179

Joined 2003-09-11

PM

Iznogood - 20 April 2016 05:42 PM

He he, nice one DarkEye.

My personal favourite of the Larry games has always been Leisure Suit Larry Goes Looking for Love (In Several Wrong Places). Don’t really know why, perhaps it is just because it was the second Larry game I played, or perhaps it just clicked perfectly with me.

Otherwise I agree with most of your list Advie. At least regarding the games I have actually played.

Larry 2 was probably the most amazing Larry for me too.

Was probably at that game for the best part of 2 years.

I also loved the high reso graphics of Larry 6 and that smooth midi jazz soundtrack.

Total Posts: 179

Joined 2003-09-11

PM

Hexamony - 20 April 2016 11:00 PM

It’s funny, to me, I’ve been a fan of the old classics, but I have never played a Leisure Suit Larry game. An oversight I feel I need to correct now that I’m of adult and immature age to enjoy them.

hahahahaha

Yeah they won’t have the same impact if you’ve hit puberty sadly.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Iznogood - 20 April 2016 05:42 PM

at a time, i had more love for LSL2 than LSLIII, but now thinking of it; the idea that LSL2 is a game that doesn’t represent Larry in anyway than the introduction when he is separated from Eve, you can put any name to that character even if it was Sonny Bonds Grin and the game wont feel any different, plus the outstanding frustration this game has as i consider it (LSL2) the most frustrating Sierra adventure ever with the most evil kind of odd deaths.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

It’s very true, that LSL2 doesn’t feel very much like a Larry game. It is, out of all the games, most plot driven where the others are just sting of conquests, it’s constantly spoofing spy movies and Larry’s goal in it isn’t revolving around trying to score with women.

Like Advie said, if you’d change Larry’s name to anything else, it would be exactly the same game and no-one could even try to accuse it from ripping off Larry, like you could accuse Les Manly games for an example.

LSL2 also is very broken game and out of all the Sierra titles, I’d say it probably has the biggest ratio of “how the hell should I have known that” and “learn by dying” puzzles. I’ve always liked LSL2 because of its atmosphere and plotting, but as a game, well, that’s an entirely different matter.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

All of that might very well be true, but perhaps it is because it is more plot driven and less of just a string of conquests, unlike especially the first Larry game, that I like it more than the others.

And I don’t agree that it doesn’t fell like a Larry game, or that it could just by any kind of protagonist. There is still a lot of sexy ladies and juvenile sex humour, like being killed by having kinky sex with an elderly women (one of the most memorable moments in the game), which is the trademark of the Larry games.

Yes there are many deaths and some unfair puzzle, and if I replayed it now it would probably annoy the crap outta me, so I won’t argue that it is objectively the best Larry game, but that didn’t bother me back then, and I still count it as my personal favourite.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

2nd thoughts are deadly.
since i posted yesterday this list and i was completely satisfied then,  i have been having a 2nd thought of editing it and exchanging SQIII for Colonel’s Bequest, but sure i am sticking to what i already posted because i believe first tries are the most genuine, keeping in mind that if i did, i maybe defiantly i have a 3rd thought or more Smile, but again the least i could do is to get this out, to share this thought.

Colonel’s Bequest is far the most superior detective-themed adventure i ever played, i don’t think that Sherlock Holmes’ or any Agatha Christine games (imo, imo) came close, or any other detective adventure had matched this style, there are exploration, inventory and dialogue puzzles but that main theme of collecting information about characters; discovering their backgrounds and relations makes this game unique, also given the idea its is an adventure where (high) score really matters, that also makes it fall under the essentiality terms of great replays.

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I am surprised that neither Dagger of Amon Ra nor Freddy Pharkus were included. And while it wouldn’t be one of my favorites, the absence of Phantasmagoria is conspicuous.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top