• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

LittleRose

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Sunday, 27 March

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

...with wounded pride and earless carcass. (BTW, Freddy Pharkas, underrated much?)

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

It’s totally underrated, as far as a Sierra game can be. I would put it in my favorite 3 Sierra games.

Total Posts: 5050

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I would put it in my top three games period. Of course I’m a good friend of one of the designers, so that counts for a lot.

Nevertheless, this is one hilarious fun game to play. One of my favorite voiceings is Josh’s saloon scream “Let me at them sheep!”

For reasons that have been discussed in other threads I think the floppy-disk version is superior to to CD. But the former is a lot harder to find. Plus you have to jerry-rig a USB disk drive to load the game in order to get all the dialog. I think it is worth the effort.

One of Sierra’s best games ever.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I agree that the game is underrated, and it’s also one of my favourite Sierra games.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Replayed it a few weeks ago. Wish I hadn’t. Some of the most obnoxious puzzle design I’ve ever had the misfortune of experiencing; it’s like the designers were trying to make the game as punishing and unpleasant as possible. Godawful graphics made my eyes bleed; also made it unnecessarily hard to find relevant hotspots. Writing’s generally clever and funny, if you can manage to get over how much you hate the whole thing because of the gameplay. Soundtrack’s brilliant. Never touching that one again.

Total Posts: 5050

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I’ll wager that the game is grateful that it will never be touched by you again as well.

While a very small sample is represented here on this thread, your negative opinion is outvoted 4-to-1. I’m glad you liked the music and humor.

As for the graphics, I think the quality is very typical of not only Sierra games released at the time, but typical of just about every game produced in that time frame.

I can’t speak for other publishers, but this was the first Sierra game that could only be played on 486 machines. Sierra always pushed the envelope a bit. It was, I believe the first company to move exclusively to CD. Much to the chagrin of those who came to expect backward compatibility as a right. Some of those eye-bleeding graphics might be simple result of increased processing power compared to games that still ran on 386 machines.

You’re not wrong. You just have a totally different view of the game than I do.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

rtrooney - 29 March 2016 09:05 PM

While a very small sample is represented here on this thread, your negative opinion is outvoted 4-to-1.

You don’t get how statistics work, do you?

As for the graphics, I think the quality is very typical of not only Sierra games released at the time, but typical of just about every game produced in that time frame.

Erm, no. It’s not about tech, it’s about style, composition, and adapting the art to the available resolution and colour depth.

There’s a huge difference between this flat, gaudy-yet-boring Potemkin village

and this much more interesting town:

There’s a huge difference between the simple elegance of this store:

and whatever the hell this disgusting, brownish mish-mash of blurry pixels is supposed to be:

But, really, if you can’t see that this:

is not half as visually interesting as this:

or that everything from composition to perspective is wrong with this awful screen

then I really can’t help you.

Sierra always pushed the envelope a bit. It was, I believe the first company to move exclusively to CD.

The first Sierra adventure not to have a floppy version was KQ7, in late 1994. Myst and The 7th Guest say hi.

Some of those eye-bleeding graphics might be simple result of increased processing power compared to games that still ran on 386 machines.

Those two things have nothing to do with one another.

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Grin

Please tell us how you feel about the Legend of Kyrandia book 3.

I agree about the Freddy Pharkas graphics, they were annoying all game through. But I did enjoy the game. 

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

Make it 4-2. I hated the game as a teen and I tried replaying it and remembered why. It has a lot going for it but it’s way way too Sierra for my taste.

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Karlok - 30 March 2016 04:45 AM

Please tell us how you feel about the Legend of Kyrandia book 3.

Do not encourage this! Grin

(The gameplay is thoroughly awful, and the music made me want to harm myself. Also, it has a laugh track.)

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

It is true that graphics are from the perspective view a mess, though the comedic nature of the game tags along with it. Another problem as I see it is the strong and overdone color palette, though far from it that it’s all bad and without a style:

The back alley, for example, has some neat shadows and nice colors, makes you almost “feel” the sun rays finding its way through the leaves.

This is nothing unusual for Sierra, but the game makes some really original views, like through the bars, windows… making for a nice change of pace.

Finally, even though I also agree that the town is “flat” and “linear” from the design point, it is exactly how the towns were built in the old west, and what we see in movies - in a straight line, so that really didn’t bother me.

I know my biggest gripe came from the fact that I had to use walkthrough in several places because it wasn’t clear what the objective is, but I think I would welcome its open nature more now. I still think that great music, not that great but passable graphics, dubious but also rich puzzle design AND a nice atmosphere, makes for an above average title, even for Sierra standards.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top