• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445Lady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Friday, March 25

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Casual Friday

Eventide: Slavic Fable is a Hidden Object casual game developed by Artifex Mundi, in which you play a botanist famous for saving a rare moss in the infamous Maple Creek area. Your grandmother, who works at the Slavic-themed Heritage Park, writes to ask you to visit her. She needs you to find the Fern Flower, a vital specimen that has gone missing.

When you reach the park gates, you are greeted by a flying moth-bat monster. You are about to plunge to your death off a steep cliff when you are rescued by Boruta, Master of Moorland Castle. He doesn’t manage to save your car, but you wouldn’t want to drive away from these circumstances anyway, would you? Maybe you can capture the giant bat-moth and add to your naturalist credentials.

It turns out that there are further oddities in Heritage Park (those who’ve already played Enigmatis: The Mists of Ravenwood—which also takes place in a historical park—will have some idea of what to expect). In fact the whole place is a sanctuary for creatures from Slavic folklore. You spend most of your time in the company of these unusual beings—some are your companions, while others are imminent dangers to you and to the park itself.

If you play the Collector’s Edition, you gather Achievement cards that contain information about the animals and people you meet. For instance, there’s the Splash, which shows itself solely to lazy people. (Hardworking people only hear it make a splash.) And there’s the Dickens, who is a trickster who can be blamed as the source of every problem (handy that, right?). My favorite was Tubber, an imp who wants everyone to be very clean and keeps the bathwater hot.

Artifex Mundi is known for gorgeous graphics, and Eventide: Slavic Fable does not disappoint, though there’s a bit too much blue mist for my taste. Pensive piano and string music adds atmosphere. Heritage Park is a beautiful, enigmatic place to explore, where there’s lots to see and do. Hidden Objects are varied, including shape-based challenges where you find device parts, list-based screens, and scenarios where you have to find multiples of a certain object. The game also contains inventory item conundrums and mini-games, including repairing pictures or images, creating an antidote, and traditional puzzles like sliding blocks, making connections, and analyzing patterns in colors and shapes.

I played the Collector’s Edition of this game. The SE ending is rather abrupt. The Bonus Chapter doesn’t address this, however, as it is a prequel. This prequel adds backstory and is entertaining enough that I’d recommend the CE, though the story isn’t necessary for enjoying the main portion of the game.

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I’ve never even heard of this game. Which is surprising because I get regular mailings from Artifex Mundi. Going back to the land of Enigmatis sounds like fun.

BTW, thanks for covering for me. I’ve almost got the PT intro written. Should be able to post it later tonight or first thing tomorrow.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 343

Joined 2012-03-13

PM

I’ve never heard of it either and it sounds intriguing. Is it as good as Mists of Ravenwood?

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I should have asked another question. Would being familiar with Slavic fables be an advantage when playing the game? With the last name Rooney, I’m likely more familiar with Celtic fables, such as those found in Of Fiends and Fairies.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

rtrooney - 25 March 2016 04:33 PM

Going back to the land of Enigmatis sounds like fun.

BTW, thanks for covering for me. I’ve almost got the PT intro written. Should be able to post it later tonight or first thing tomorrow.

This game isn’t actually a sequel to the Enigmatis games. It references Maple Creek, (the rare moss) and the intro outside the gates with the giant winged monster is strongly reminiscent of the beginning of Mists of Ravenwood. The exploration of a historical park is similar thematically to Ravenwood. But the Slavic mythology takes the game on a path entirely of its own.

BTW—I see you got the Fright playthrough posted. Looking forward to it!

furgotten - 25 March 2016 06:44 PM

I’ve never heard of it either and it sounds intriguing. Is it as good as Mists of Ravenwood?

That’s a hard call. The story isn’t as intricate, but then it’s the first game, and Ravenwood is a sequel to a game that already had a strong story going. There’s much less interaction with people and more time spent with mythological creatures. There’s also less of a grounding in the “real world” in general—more of a sense of magic in play—more of a fantasy theme than a detective theme.

rtrooney - 25 March 2016 06:44 PM

I should have asked another question. Would being familiar with Slavic fables be an advantage when playing the game? With the last name Rooney, I’m likely more familiar with Celtic fables, such as those found in Of Fiends and Fairies.

One of the aspects I really enjoyed about Eventide: Slavic Fable is that the mythology was different than usual. I’ve played other games with elves and fairies and dragons. This game was based on an entirely different mythology, and I enjoyed that a lot. So knowing nothing about Slavic fables is an advantage, not a disadvantage, because there’s more of a feeling of discovery as you play.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

I have actually played this game, I got it as part of a pack with several other Casuals - and my impression of this game is a bit of .. meh!

There is as such nothing wrong with it, but there is also absolutely nothing that excited me about it - And I found the different creatures to be far too much on the cute side, too much care bears and not enough evil fire breathing dragons.

furgotten - 25 March 2016 06:44 PM

Is it as good as Mists of Ravenwood?

I would say: Most Definitely NOT.
It lacks the nerve that the Enigmatis series had.

Also, I might be wrong, but I believe the game was made by The House of Fables, and only published by Artifex Mundi. At least both The House of Fables and Artifex Mundi is in the credits.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Iznogood - 26 March 2016 11:14 AM

Also, I might be wrong, but I believe the game was made by The House of Fables, and only published by Artifex Mundi. At least both The House of Fables and Artifex Mundi is in the credits.

Izno—you’re right, the game has also released on Steam, and the developer is listed as The House of Fables, with Artifex Mundi as the publisher. This appears to be a new developer (one I hadn’t heard of before). I hope we see more of their work in the future.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top