• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Tuesday, 15 March

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Aquaria is marketed as an action-adventure game. Don’t let them fool you! There’s no action, and there’s no adventure! It’s a walking diving simulator! Smile I spent one hour finding my way in the underwater world and NOTHING happens! And you know what - I’m stuck! I’m stuck at exploring the beautiful underwater world where nothing happens! HA! While I certainly felt like a fish from “The Sword in the Stone”, I grew tired of diving through the underwater labyrinth! And I blame the designers for not caring about the less-patient players like myself!

(in a more serious remark - this certainly looks like a game that could be treasured by more patient players, and seems like it was acknowledged as a new wave (pun not intended) of a side-scrolling adventure games, a spiritual successor to Zelda, Bermuda Syndrome, Ecco the Dolphin… with even more emphasis on puzzles. Well, I haven’t met a single one, but perhaps you will.)

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Sounds thrilling.

Did you try this?

To face dangers, Naija has to use the power of the verse. By right-clicking on her, eight notes of different colours are shown, and clicking them triggers a chant. By chanting the right tone at certain plants, Naija can collect items, and learn spells and recipes. In the style of Loom or The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, the notes can be combined into songs to cast spells. These form shields, can be used to lift objects or change Naija to different forms with new abilities giving access to new locations. Right-clicking interacts with the environment and is used for attacking. In an items menu food and other objects can be used or cooked in combination to form new ones.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Oscar - 15 March 2016 12:05 PM

Sounds thrilling.

Did you try this?

To face dangers, Naija has to use the power of the verse. By right-clicking on her, eight notes of different colours are shown, and clicking them triggers a chant. By chanting the right tone at certain plants, Naija can collect items, and learn spells and recipes. In the style of Loom or The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, the notes can be combined into songs to cast spells. These form shields, can be used to lift objects or change Naija to different forms with new abilities giving access to new locations. Right-clicking interacts with the environment and is used for attacking. In an items menu food and other objects can be used or cooked in combination to form new ones.

Of course. Smile It did nothing (for me). (but it’s fun - the note system had obviously been done by someone with a musical knowledge, because while the songs changes as you swim across the regions, the 8 notes are done in the appropriate scale of the song in the background - in other words, the random clicking will almost certainly produce a pleasant harmony, and you can play with it and make music Wink )

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I remember this one, it’s one of the first games I bought on Steam when people were still saying digital stores would never gain traction…
I don’t remember it being hard, just a beatiful Metroidvania.

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

I loved Aquaria (though I never quite finished it)! It was secretly a Lovecraftian horror adventure as well as a cooking simulator. Also it not only looked lovely but had a fantastic soundtrack by Alec Holowka.
And there are background inscriptions in an ancient rune language, which in the usual manner of such things is a basic cryptogram - if you decipher the runes you can find out more about the game’s world and how it got to be the way it is.

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I’ve never played a horror adventure that’s also a cooking simulator. I’m trying to imagine how the two mess (I mean, mesh). Are the menus full of disgusting ingredients?

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

Oh, it’s not that kind of horror. It’s the creeping sense of doom, of venturing further into the darkness and knowing that something terrible and wrong is underneath it all. Definitely more H P Lovecraft than John Carpenter/Wes Craven.

The cooking is just a bonus Smile

Total Posts: 442

Joined 2006-06-14

PM

Sounds fascinating and looks charming.  Think I’ll have to try it.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top