• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

zobraks

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Sunday, 13 March

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

“We gotta move these refrigerators…” (Simon the Sorcerer 3D)

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’ve got to be quite honest diego, none of the screenshots for this game for me are very appealing - is the game any good?  Smile

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Say what you will, you’ve got to admire the people who looked at early real-time 3D and recognized that this was the future of gaming. Because that stuff certainly did not look appealing.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Despite looking absolutely awful it is actually a decent game - at least that is how I recall it, though it has been 14 years since I played it.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Kurufinwe - 14 March 2016 04:59 PM

Say what you will, you’ve got to admire the people who looked at early real-time 3D and recognized that this was the future of gaming. Because that stuff certainly did not look appealing.

This is 2002 release, right? The problem here is that it’s not early 3D.

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

wilco - 14 March 2016 06:15 PM
Kurufinwe - 14 March 2016 04:59 PM

This is 2002 release, right? The problem here is that it’s not early 3D.

Good grief, you’re right. I had forgotten about that. I thought it was from the same time as Mask of Eternity, but it’s actually 4 years more recent…

(Then again, Simon 2 is from 1995 and looks like a 1991 game, so why am I surprised?)

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

Ok, I was going to say you were harsh on simon 2, then I looked at screenshots and I guess that I had nostalgia tinted glasses… It does indeed look like a 1991 game.

Simon 3d has been on my backlog forever, I loved the first two games but I just haven’t found the courage the play that game with it’s atrocious graphics…

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

giom - 14 March 2016 06:59 PM

Ok, I was going to say you were harsh on simon 2, then I looked at screenshots and I guess that I had nostalgia tinted glasses… It does indeed look like a 1991 game.

I vividly remember playing Simon 2 in 1995, some months after playing games like Myst, The 7th Guest, KQ7 and Under a Killing Moon, and being horrified at how dated it looked.

(Not to mention that the graphics suck, resolution notwithstanding, especially compared to the first one, which had some gorgeous landscapes.)

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Iznogood - 14 March 2016 05:19 PM

Despite looking absolutely awful it is actually a decent game - at least that is how I recall it, though it has been 14 years since I played it.

That’s my recollection as well.

Due to the troubled production, when the game released, its graphics were already horribly outdated and the game was rather buggy.
Aside from that, gameplay was actually quite fun, and the zany humour was definitely back and firing at all cylinders.

This game is vastly underrated, and that has a lot to do with how it looks, imo…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

It’s underrated for good reason. Two things would have made the game vastly better:
1. Better graphics
2. Hotspot indicator

Even then I’d go for 2 over 1. The amount of empty space makes it near unplayable.

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

It wasn’t just the graphics - along with the ‘upgrade’ to 3D and the use of direct control there were some nasty bits of design in there too. Lots of travel, fiddly precision challenges and tedious collections that made the game longer and more irritating without adding value. It had a few good puzzles, though, and I don’t remember the standard of writing being much different from the previous Simon games.

I didn’t finish it though - I think my computer died when I was only partway through and I couldn’t face replaying from the start once I had a replacement. Too many better games to play instead!

Total Posts: 7439

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Oh come on, people! What’s wrong with 1991 graphics? You (not me) love them, you want them in Thimbleweed Park, you’re crazy about Wadjet’s Eye graphics. And now you’re complaining about ugly ancient 3D?? That’s hardly consistent, is it. Mark my words, ugly 3D will become the new standard for the retro-look.

Tongue

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 415

Joined 2007-12-29

PM

I thought it was a fun game.  A hotspot indicator would have helped though.  Point and click would have really helped it, and they needed a “skip” button for the amusement park. Some of those games that you had to play were too hard and I had to get a saved game for one of the games in the park.

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Minecraft was released 10 years later and looked much, much worse. Yet somehow few people were bothered by that. The main problem with Simon as I recall was its bugginess (fixed in the patch that followed some years later). The game itself was lots of fun.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

Minecraft’s rather a different case - it’s as much toy as game, about learning to use systems and build the fun yourself rather than experiencing a crafted atmosphere and story. Some kinds of stories would work fine in that environment (I don’t know how Telltale’s Story Mode turned out) - but for many the aesthetic side would only come across as ironic at best.

Simon 3D’s engine is presented as a leap forward from the previous games’ 2D point-and-click, but it takes away more than it adds. That’s not just about the limitations of the engine - Grim Fandango used similar technology and made it sing. Simon 3D expects us to be impressed by the 3D but doesn’t make anything beautiful or memorable with it.

The age of the technology isn’t the issue - Ben Chandler’s evocative pixel paintings create far more reality and texture than Simon’s 3D playground despite using older technology. And some might say that the even older technology of brush, paint and canvas can produce even more powerful results - though not in my hands. It’s about what an artist can do with the medium.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top