• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Thursday, 25 February

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I want to end the month of weird adventures with Flower,Sun and Rain, (DS worldwide, PS2 Japan-only). I planned to play the game this month but couldn’t really find the time. The game is developed by Grasshoppers/Suda51 creators of great games like Killer7, No More Heroes and Shadow of the Damned and like those games it stands apart by it’s original presentation and story. Here is a small part of the plot:

Sumio Mondo is a “searcher” who makes a living looking for people’s lost things. He arrives on the Micronesian resort island of Lospass and takes a room at the Flower, Sun, and Rain hotel after being tasked with detecting and defusing a bomb, planted on a plane which is soon to leave the island’s only airport. On the way to the airport however, Mondo encounters other hotel guests and island residents requesting his help with various problems, including searching for missing items. While Mondo is distracted by them, the airplane with the bomb on board takes off and explodes, crashing into the island.

The next morning however, Mondo awakens in his hotel room and discovers that something strange has happened. He has not even departed for the airport yet, nor has the airplane explosion occurred. Mondo attempts to head to the airport to prevent the explosion, but again his sidetracking to help other guests leads to a repeat of the previous day’s explosion. Mondo once again awakens in his hotel room before any of the day’s events have taken place.

Sounds different but the reviews are very divisive calling the level design and camera very uneven. Anyone played it?

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I’ve played this, and it is indeed uneven.

There’s a LOT of walking around, which gets tedious after a while, the ‘searching’ and the puzzles are hit-and-miss, the story is very much “out there”, etc.
But the game has a lot of funny moments, and for the first 12 or so days, the Groundhog Day mechanic is really interesting, filled with “running gags with a twist” that get more and more hilarious as the game goes on… until the game starts to drag at around day 14 and the general weirdness goes up (together with the tedium).

It’s a weird game that definitely has its moments, but I can understand a lot of the criticism it gets.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

I’ve played this one! It’s a Suda51 game, and does some of the kind of things to the Adventure genre that Contact did to RPGs or Killer7 did with shooters. It’s weird and funny and clever and obtuse at times and decidedly postmodern and got into my head more than most games manage to.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top