• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #38: Touché: The Adventures of the Fifth Musketeer

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

diego - 01 March 2016 08:01 AM

Definitely a ScummVM bug. I played the game several times and I don’t remember it.

It is? I didn’t remember it from my first playthrough but that’s not saying much at my age.  Shifty Eyed Anyway, it’s good news for me. I can and will go back to my original non-Scumm version on the old win98 computer. Smile

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 101

Joined 2016-02-18

PM

Definitely a ScummVM bug. I played the game several times and I don’t remember it. Also you can skip the dialogue by pressing space.

Ah, so you can skip by pressing space. I had tried Escape, all mouse buttons, Enter, but not space…

I think I’ll install the development version of ScummVM and start over with the game to get rid of the money bug. If you know what you’re doing, it will not take long to get back to where I was (the map screen) and start travelling around France.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Okay, thanks from the DL link Diego.

It’s been ages since I’ve played this one the last time, and I must admit, then it was not so legal download. But then again, when I stumbled upon this game, it wasn’t sold anywhere anymore, so that’s my excuse.

A couple of quick notes:

I like the background art. The character style look like they’ve taken more than liberal guidelines from Lucasfilm games, which is a bit of a bummer as the BG art would really benefit from higher resolution characters. The voice acting is King’s Quest 5 level amateur theater, but there’s a charm in it, I guess.

And I laughed out loud during the intro for the beggar/stabbed joke.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

tomimt - 02 March 2016 01:52 PM

The voice acting is King’s Quest 5 level amateur theater, but there’s a charm in it, I guess.

It’s average but not that bad! (At least doesn’t make the ears hurt)

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

wilco - 02 March 2016 04:18 PM

It’s average but not that bad! (At least doesn’t make the ears hurt)

I’d say it’s even worse at times. And the sound volume mixing is all over the place. Also, the music annoyingly repetitive.

Touche actually feels very much like a budget adventure to me. It has this feel of a game that is trying to ape up mechanics and style from other similar games, mainly Lucasfilm’s, but had more focus on pushing it out fast and dirty.

I do like the humour of it though. And the puzzles, what I’ve seen of the at least, seem to be relatively fair considering the age of the game.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

I think the voice acting is fine enough so far. But i will agree with the mixing. It goes from quiet to loud to quiet. And sometimes it sounds like a voice was recorded with the actor in a closed space, sometimes not, sometimes too close to the mic. As for the music i recommend installing the remastered soundtrack.

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

The enhanced soundtrack really makes a difference. It far above what the game originally offers and makes the whole thing a lot more pleasing. Also, I don’t know if it’s just the better soundtrack under ScummVM, but after switching to it from DosBox, the voice audio quality seems a bit better as well. Under DosBox there was a lot of hissing and popping and crackling on the voice acting, where as it sounds a lot cleaner in ScummVM.

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

This was fun the first time but also got in my nerves, specially when you wander between towns looking for a solution and always have to wait for Henri to make the same comments! Yes, Henri, I know you didn’t pack your bags yet…
I do wonder if this didn’t suppose to happen and is another ScummVM bug, since it doesn’t make much sense a lot of times.

The repeating jokes happen under DosBox as well. And yes, it’s annoying.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

tomimt - 03 March 2016 04:43 PM

The enhanced soundtrack really makes a difference. It far above what the game originally offers and makes the whole thing a lot more pleasing. Also, I don’t know if it’s just the better soundtrack under ScummVM, but after switching to it from DosBox, the voice audio quality seems a bit better as well. Under DosBox there was a lot of hissing and popping and crackling on the voice acting, where as it sounds a lot cleaner in ScummVM.

I’m pretty sure that when I installed the enhanced soundtrack the wildly inconsistent voice mixing problems went away. Is that possible?

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

tomimt - 03 March 2016 04:45 PM

The repeating jokes happen under DosBox as well. And yes, it’s annoying.

Yes, same thing with my German/English version in DOS 5. I must have repressed the memory of this annoyance.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Or it just could have felt more novel back in the 90’s, having the chacaters constanly yapping away. Voice acting in games back in -95 was still relatively new after all.

Total Posts: 129

Joined 2007-05-15

PM

Wow!  It’s been an absolute mission to start this game.

After obtaining the copy of Touche from diego (thank you diego!), I proceeded to wait until I had a day off to install it in Dosbox.

I managed to mount it in Dosbox and everything but no matter what I tried, the game would not launch!  I threw in the towel and proceeded to install it in Scumm (why did I not do that from the beginning?) and it worked without a hitch!

As soon as the opening scene appeared, I realised that my 4k monitor was not going to be a good display for this 90’s game, so I decided to dig out my old chunky monitor that had been sitting on the floor of the garage for a good many years.  To begin with, I noticed a cat had taken a whiz on it.  Not to worry, a quick spray and wipe and it was good to go (or so I thought).

The next mistake I made was deciding not to remove my 4k monitor first, but shoving it back to the rear of my desk to make way for this heavy thing.  Apparently, I needed more space than I thought as I proceeded to bang the screen of the 4k monitor with the rear of the old monitor, leaving a mark right in the center of the screen.  *SIGH*

At least I was almost set up!  I connected the monitor to my pc, then went to plug in the power and *POP*.  It sent me flying back in shock!  Luckily it wasn’t an electric shock like my partner initially thought.  As it turned out, the cat pee must’ve leaked into the back of the monitor and caused a short circuit.

Luckily for me, there was a computer shop around the corner from me which had some old monitors for sale, so here I finally sit having finished the first part of the game on my new (old) twenty dollar monitor.  Money Mouth

I think all the setting up was worth it as I’m really enjoying Touche so far!  I’ve been pleasantly surprised at how good the script is.  The main character has been likable (whatever his name is) and the puzzles have been not too easy and not too frustrating (except I got a little stuck finding the blank paper.)

I’m looking forward to playing more!

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

uiz:

Check your knowledge of the parts 1 and 2 Grin

1. The flag on the house of your regiment in Rouen is:

a) blue with an orange sign
b) green with a yellow sign
c) yellow with a blue sign

Answer: a

2. Your Captain’s name is:

a) Rochefort
b) Pleinforce
c) Planchet

Answer: b

3. Juliette is wearing a

a) red dress
b) orange dress
c) green dress

Answer: c

4. The traveler’s inn name is

a) The Dead Horse
b) The Coach and Three
c) The Jolly Eater

Answer: b

5. One of the monks in Amiens is called

a) Brother le Rolande
b) Brother le Noire
c) Brother le Lurve

6. Bucket with paint in St. Quentin’s stable has:

a) red paint
b) purple paint
c) there is no bucket with paint in St. Quentin’s stable

This is the stable in:

a) Amiens
b) St. Quentin
c) Rouen

8. The four musketeers in front of St. Quentin’s tavern have

a) all hats of the same color
b) three red and one purple hat
c) three purple and one red hat

9. The name of the “witch” is:

a) Madame Ormond
b) Madame Armond
c) Madame Almend

10. The taxidermied deer can be seen in

a) Rouen’s tavern
b) St. Quentin’s tavern
c) Amiens’ tailor shop

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

3/10 . Terrible…

When are we moving forward? Maybe better for more people to reach Le Mans

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

The plot thickens! What’s Cardinal de Guise up to?! Can the Chancellor helps us? Will we win Juliette’s heart? You have until Wednesday 23 March to reach Le Havre!!!

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top