• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Playthrough Tie-breaker rules

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I’m not saying chrissie’s tie-breaker system was either right or wrong. It just wasn’t transparently understandable.

So, let’s try to create a tie-breaking system that applies to all playthroughs and similar voting topics.

One popular suggestion is to leave it to the leader of the thread to make his/her own rules. That doesn’t work for me.

So I am going to submit a first draft.

In the case of a tie, all votes are cancelled, and the vote starts anew. Only the tied games are eligible to be voted on. Everyone who voted on a game, plus those who did not vote, are allowed one vote for any of the tied games. In the event there is still a tie, the process will be duplicated. If there is still a tie after the second vote, the leader of the thread, most likely the score keeper, will decide the winner.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

Yes, deciding on a rule sounds good. Your proposal is nice but I like the additional variation from Chrissie which is to retain the votes from people who only voted for one game.  The reason for this is that it allows people who voted for a single game on the first round but were busy/absent during the second round not to lose their vote.

So this is the process:

First round: everyone can vote for multiple games

Second round in case of tie,
  - Only tied games are eligible for the vote
  - Anyone can vote (even people who did not vote during the first game)
  - People who voted for only one game during the first round retain their vote for that game.
  - People who voted for more than one game must vote again but only chose a single game.

Third round: Same rules as second round

In the unlikely event there’s still a tie, the leader of the thread or score keeper will decide the winner

Duration of rounds:

First round: 5 days
Second and 3rd round: 3 days

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

sorry Tim, but why is the hassle!, if this is ALL about chrissie’s approach toward giving a 2nd round, i guess i must say, a little improvisation could NOT hurt or intimidate anyone!
especially if she was the only one who had come forward, and accorded us and this the CPT regular votings posts, and updates; when/since many or even all stood waiting and watching, nevertheless, she had inquired (or asked) at least two times for anyone who would step in and take over the hand of dealing with that voting-updates/posts?

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Thank you Advie for your post & you backing me up as it’s very much appreciated but the ‘hassle’ is older than the current CPT voting thread, not to do with my approach specifically & in my mind not personal towards it!  Smile

There does seem to be a need for some kind of clarification of how tie-breakers are resolved & I like the suggestions so far !
Smile

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

giom - 21 February 2016 06:07 AM

Yes, deciding on a rule sounds good. Your proposal is nice but I like the additional variation from Chrissie which is to retain the votes from people who only voted for one game.  The reason for this is that it allows people who voted for a single game on the first round but were busy/absent during the second round not to lose their vote.

So this is the process:

First round: everyone can vote for multiple games

Second round in case of tie,
  - Only tied games are eligible for the vote
  - Anyone can vote (even people who did not vote during the first game)
  - People who voted for only one game during the first round retain their vote for that game.
  - People who voted for more than one game must vote again but only chose a single game.

Third round: Same rules as second round

In the unlikely event there’s still a tie, the leader of the thread or score keeper will decide the winner

Duration of rounds:

First round: 5 days
Second and 3rd round: 3 days

+1 for this with slight changes/additions/clarifications. In case of a tie, people who voted for 1 of the tied games retain their vote by default, but they have the right to change it if they so desire.

Also round 1 should be a little longer (maybe 7 days) to give more people a chance to vote. I like everything else.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

chrissie - 21 February 2016 01:28 PM

Thank you Advie for your post & you backing me up as it’s very much appreciated but the ‘hassle’ is older than the current CPT voting thread, not to do with my approach specifically & in my mind not personal towards it!  Smile

hmmmm, i guess i oughta be sorry if i was carried away, only by a moot idea of the matter; as it seems to be rooted back (deeper) then just the last 2-3 pages of that CPT thread Mini Smile  Cool

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

SoccerDude28 - 21 February 2016 03:13 PM

+1 for this with slight changes/additions/clarifications. In case of a tie, people who voted for 1 of the tied games retain their vote by default, but they have the right to change it if they so desire.

Also round 1 should be a little longer (maybe 7 days) to give more people a chance to vote. I like everything else.

Yes that makes total sense. Hadn’t thought of that but of course people should be able to change their vote if they so desire.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

The only flaw in Soccer Dude’s is that a person who voted for one of the tied games gets to keep his or her vote. In the most recent vote TimovieMan voted for all of the tied games.

Does he get to keep all his votes or only one? And if only one, which one?

It’s the “exceptions” that always cause the problems.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 5569

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

rtrooney - 21 February 2016 06:03 PM

The only flaw in Soccer Dude’s is that a person who voted for one of the tied games gets to keep his or her vote. In the most recent vote TimovieMan voted for all of the tied games.

Anyone who voted for more than one of the tied games must vote again and choose only one.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

the entire point is (and was implemented correctly in the thread): if you voted for more than one of the tied then your vote is taken out- for the chance to be re-casted.

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Sorry if I caused you confusion. When I responded to Giom’s post, I agreed with all his points except with regards to people who voted for one AND ONLY one of the tied games. Sorry I didn’t make that clearer. So I agreed with his point, and I quote:
”  - People who voted for more than one game must vote again but only chose a single game.”

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

So anyone who voted for only one of the tied games gets to keep his or her vote. But anyone who voted for more than one of the tied games, loses those votes, and he/she must recast a single vote for one of the tied games. (At least that’s how I read what is being suggested.)

That hardly seems fair, because the “rule” is applied differently depending on how many of the tied games you selected.

Which is why I suggested cancelling all votes, and starting from scratch with everyone having a single vote. That way the “rule” applies equally to everyone, regardless how many of the tied games he/she voted for.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

rtrooney - 21 February 2016 06:54 PM

So anyone who voted for only one of the tied games gets to keep his or her vote. But anyone who voted for more than one of the tied games, loses those votes, and he/she must recast a single vote for one of the tied games. (At least that’s how I read what is being suggested.)

That hardly seems fair, because the “rule” is applied differently depending on how many of the tied games you selected.

Which is why I suggested cancelling all votes, and starting from scratch with everyone having a single vote. That way the “rule” applies equally to everyone, regardless how many of the tied games he/she voted for.

Well if you voted for ALL the tied games, and you retained all the votes, it has 0 influence on the outcome, which is why it is better if you have to pick one. If you on the other hand voted for more than one of the tied games but NOT ALL, then this forces you to pick one, which is what we desire from any second round vote. That is the reasoning behind giom’s rules.

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

Yes, in the end, it’s more of a convenience thing.

As an example, there’s Touché and Blade Runner being tied

Say A votes for Touché but none of the other tied games, in the second round, he’s likely to continue voting for Touché. So we just keep his vote counted.

But, in the case of B who voted for both Touché and Blade Runner. We don’t know which games he prefers so thats’ why we cancel both his votes and ask him to vote again for only of those two games.

Cancelling all the votes and this technique is basically the same but it just saves the trouble for A to recast his vote when we already know which game he prefers.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

We pretty much had this entire discussion at the tie the last time.

The only thing that made this a bit messy this time, is that some retracted their votes or made conditional votes, because they couldn’t find a copy of the game, and the re-voted when they actually found a copy or were reassured that a download link would be provided.

rtrooney - 21 February 2016 06:54 PM

The problem here is time.
Not everybody checks the forum daily, and it wouldn’t be fair if their vote was cancelled simply because they didn’t realise they had to vote a second time. However in the case that they vote for two or more of the tied-games, there unfortunately isn’t any other option.

giom - 21 February 2016 05:28 PM
SoccerDude28 - 21 February 2016 03:13 PM

Yes that makes total sense. Hadn’t thought of that but of course people should be able to change their vote if they so desire.

And we need at least a week for the first (and normaly only) vote.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Iznogood - 22 February 2016 07:38 AM

The only thing that made this a bit messy this time, is that some retracted their votes or made conditional votes, because they couldn’t find a copy of the game, and the re-voted when they actually found a copy or were reassured that a download link would be provided.

No, there’s nothing messy about a game winning the vote for the next CPT that I know would have won way back if the game had been more accessible! Also, I dislike it when someone focuses on a couple of facts, twists them around & promotes something as messy when they haven’t read or understood a post properly to put the info into context. 
There were a couple of people who retracted their vote for Touché because they couldn’t find a copy of the game which was already 2 votes ahead but shortly afterwards Lady K was able to find a Mac compatible version which put the game 1 vote ahead before any further voting process had an opportunity to get underway!!!

I’ve got no problem with anyone objecting to the voting process I proposed following if Touche hadn’t won which is the point of this thread but it seems that there’s also a criticism of the way it won too!!!  Sick

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top