• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Henk61

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Saturday, 30 January

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Today is a nice, sunny day, you can almost feel the smell of spring in the air. And how about Hope Springs Eternal? Also, is it me or the mechanic is a spitting image of the Reid brothers?! Smile

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

The graphics look surprisingly good compared to the FMV games I’m used to.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Hey diego, what does the F in FMV stand for? Tongue

BTW, I think that mechanic is Mikael Nyquist the game’s creator.

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Oscar - 30 January 2016 12:48 PM

Free? Tongue

What’s worse, in Carol Reed those are just pictures, not motion videos. (but I’m always under the habit of calling a game “FMV” whenever I see the actors).

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Hope springs Eternal was the 1st Carol Reed I ever played & liked it well enough to acquire the very 1st game Remedy & then play every single game in the series as they came out! Smile 

Oscar - 30 January 2016 12:48 PM

BTW, I think that mechanic is Mikael Nyquist the game’s creator.

I’ve always thought that FMV stands for Full Motion Video - not an exact description of the Carol Reed games as they’re photos of real places & actual ‘actors’ presented in a slide-show format to tell the story - but it is very effective & done so well that you can almost imagine the games being ‘live’!

I’m pretty sure too Oscar that the mechanic is indeed Mikael Nyquist!  Smile

EDIT: I’ve just seen your post diego - real people & places are good enough for me for the game to be included in FMV Saturday!  Thumbs Up 

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

chrissie - 30 January 2016 01:05 PM

I’ve always thought that FMV stands for Full Motion Video - not an exact description of the Carol Reed games as they’re photos of real places & actual ‘actors’ presented in a slide-show format to tell the story - but it is very effective & done so well that you can almost imagine the games being ‘live’!

I agree. You also get the added bonus of excellent photography, which is why as rtrooney pointed out the screenshots from the series look better than the usual FMV games. I’m sure the poses the characters do are chosen carefully and mean that the poor acting that we usually get in FMV games doesn’t matter as much. The voice actors (who are different from the pictured people) are really good.

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

diego - 30 January 2016 01:01 PM

but I’m always under the habit of calling a game “FMV” whenever I see the actors).

Then this isn’t a ‘real’ FMV Saturday, is it?

Still, a great post. I have to admit that I have never played one of these games. But this post and chrissie’s comments send me in that direction. The only thing better would be if there was stop-motion photography, which simulated FMV, but with better resolution.

Ah! Like Aardmore Studios. Chicken Run, the real
Wallace and Grommit

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

rtrooney - 30 January 2016 08:36 PM

Then this isn’t a ‘real’ FMV Saturday, is it?

Well, think what you want, but The “false” FMV pretence gave me an opportunity to repeat the game (yeah, so it’s the only Carol Reed game I’ve played, sue me Grin )

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top