• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Friday 22 January

Total Posts: 5046

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Casual Friday

This screenshot is from The Emerald Maiden - Symphony of Dreams. I wish I could have posted a dozen because the variety of screens is incredible. Everything from this, to a brightly lit terrace restaurant overlooking Paris, to the darkness and grunge you would expect to find in the bowels of an early 20th century coal-fired ocean liner.

This was one of my favorite games when I first played it. Strangely, I never got around to replaying it. Other things just got in the way. But I knew I wanted to use it as an AGSotD. So, now that I reloaded it for the screenshot, perhaps I will replay it after all.

The game was released by Gogii Games in December, 2013. As such we were starting to witness the demise of straight, random list HO scenes, and were starting to see more variety. This game was definitely moving in that direction.

The basic premise of the story is that, as an infant, you were abandoned by your parents twenty-five years ago. But now you have received an invitation to a cruise. And that invitation also hints at the possibility that you will learn something about your parents, and what might have caused them to leave you behind. Obviously you must accept the invitation.

Much of the history is told in brief video clips. The rest is told in a series of dream sequences that are activated by a machine once you insert a dream card into it. These cards, as well as the video reels, are found as you explore the ship.

You do have a sidekick. It is a robot. But unlike most sidekick games, you don’t find/activate your sidekick until you have played the game for about an hour. This is a long game. So you will have plenty of time to enjoy finding out what your sidekick can do when properly motivated.

The SE version of the game has a very satisfacory conclusion. By that I don’t mean to imply that everyone will like all parts of the way the game ends. I only mean that the game ends with no “loose ends” to tie up. It also ends with no hint of a sequel, which is just fine with me. There are far too many games that should have been one-off, and their sequels simply outlived their welcome.

A very enjoyable game.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Sounds like another contender for a CPT. Cool

And that screenshot has a very “Bioshock” vibe, imo.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

This is one of my favorite casual games. It’s been awhile since I played it—that screenshot brings back memories.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Becky - 22 January 2016 08:54 AM

This is one of my favorite casual games. It’s been awhile since I played it—that screenshot brings back memories.

This has suddenly become a contender on the casual playthrough thread.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I have started to replay this game. Yes, the variety of HO scenes is much improved from the random list scenes. But there are still a lot of them. I also remembered the puzzles being much harder. With the exception of a few, they are quite simple. Maybe I remember them as hard because they were hard…compared to other games from that era.

It is still a great game with a good story, music, voice acting, graphics, etc.

It’s just that replaying it now, after playing Drawn, Enigmatis, Angelica, EEC, it doesn’t seem as good as I remember.

It’s kind of like running into an old girlfriend, who has occupied your dreams in all the bad ways, only to find out that she wasn’t nearly as wonderful as you remembered her to be. For those of you on the other side of the fence, please feel free to substitute “boyfriend”.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 118

Joined 2014-05-05

PM

Well said, Tim. I had exactly the same reaction when I recently started to replay Eternal Journey: New Atlantis, which I first played in 2013. Sigh.

These days I go everywhere with a carpetbag containing a crowbar, a flashlight, a screwdriver, an oilcan, a ladder, a zipper tab, and a chihuahua.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I am reminded that in literature, particularly in popular literature, the surest way to make sure your novel will not be timeless is to strive for currency. And the surest way to timelessness if to eliminate time from your writing.

I can’t tell you how many books I’ve read where the author tries to impress the reader by mentioning the extravagance of the situation, and only makes him or herself look ridiculous in the eyes of a later generation of readers. Example: “I can’t believe it that they were trying to charge $.25 for a pack of cigarettes.” That’s straight out of Earle Stanley Gardner’s Perry Mason novels.

Another example from real life is ‘the surest way to make sure your company’s literature is obsolete the day it is printed is to have it contain the picture of a prominent employee!’ As sure as the sun rises, that employee will be fired. Thus rendering thousands of dollars of printed material instantly worthless.

Some games just age better than others.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I replayed a short way into The Emerald Maiden: Symphony of Dreams to see if my experience was similar to Tim’s—and I got caught up in the game just as I did the first time I played it. It reminds me somewhat of Morpheus (the adventure game). It has a far more intricate story than is common in casual games, and it avoids the usual cliches. It contains about 20 HO screens, though these are of varied types. The opening puzzles are rather easy, but the difficulty increases as you play further in. Still, as a story-heavy game, gamers will probably play it for the story and the environments, not so much for the puzzles.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

As I said -

It is still a great game with a good story, music, voice acting, graphics, etc.

I just didn’t think it was as good as I remembered it to be. I’m not unhappy that it didn’t win.

Edit: I should clarify the above comment. It’s a very playable game, and I would encourage anyone to give it a try. But I don’t think it is playthrough material. I think there are other games, such as Fright, that are better representative of what the casual genre is capable of.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

cluelass - 26 January 2016 06:03 PM

Well said, Tim. I had exactly the same reaction when I recently started to replay Eternal Journey: New Atlantis, which I first played in 2013. Sigh.

I had the opposite impression. Lady Kestrel nominated it for the playthrough, and I was going to buy it. But, happily, I found that I already owned it. I have not replayed it recently, although I loaded it and played for about 20 minutes. I think the fact that you collect inventory items that aren’t used immediately, e.g. you get items that will be used in the lab before you even find the key that lets you open the lab door, adds a lot of interest. The interactive map is probably better than any hint system.

Although I do see that the games have much in common.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top