• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Becky

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Wednesday 13 January

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

What do you get if you mix the stories from the three most classical Humphrey Bogart movies, The Maltese Falcon, The Big Sleep and Casablanca, add a bit of an American Werewolf in London, throw in a typical mad scientist wizard, season with a truckload of .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) and have it all take place on a world carried by four elephants standing on the back of the Great A’Tuin?

What you get is of course Discworld Noir!

The reason I have chosen it for this weeks Midweek puzzle, is however not because of the great story or the supreme humour, but instead because it also had a lot of innovation in the gameplay department.

One of the key features of the game is Lewton’s notebook, where a lot of different topics and information will be added.

But this notebook is not just a standard notebook, where you can see your objectives or whatever clues you may have found, you can also use it actively during conversations. On top of having standard dialogue options, you can also ask people about the many different topics or clues that you have in your notebook.

It is however not just your notebook that you can use during the conversations, you can also open the inventory and then ask about what they know about any of the items you are carrying.

But there is more to it than just that, the real genius here is that you can also access the notebook outside of conversations, and then use a topic on a physical item in the world. Lets say for example that you have a clue written in your notebook, you find something new that might be related to that clue, you can then simply drag your clue from the notebook onto the item you have found, and Lewton might conclude that they are indeed connected and conclude something from that.

And if all of that wasn’t enough, then there is also another feature in the game, where you can enter a different mode, which allows you to see the world differently and notice things that you otherwise wouldn’t.

Add all of this together, and I think it is safe to say that Discworld Noir is one of the most innovative adventure games ever made, and one of the best when it comes to the puzzle department.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’ve forgotten a lot about the game Iznogood but the alternative view from the wolf’s perception sticks in my head & I found it very innovative at the time but then again I hadn’t played so many games then! I forgot to mention that I loved the game!

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

I remember enjoying this one a lot - very nicely written and designed, some novel mechanics and probably the closest anyone else ever got to the feel of either the classic Lucasarts games or the Discworld novels.

It’s also noteworthy as the biggest influence on the Blackwell games, so we owe it a lot Smile

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top