• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Lady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Sunday, 10 January

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Broken Sword 2: The Smoking Mirror. Sacrificed some of that “Frantic” charm of the original for the “Romancing the Stone”, but still very good. Someone should rewrite that 2-stars rating on AG.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

diego - 10 January 2016 02:49 PM

Someone should rewrite that 2-stars rating on AG.

Why? The game is very much overrated, imo. I consider it merely “ok”. Not the masterpiece that most claim it to be.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

TimovieMan - 10 January 2016 03:44 PM

Why? The game is very much overrated, imo. I consider it merely “ok”. Not the masterpiece that most claim it to be.

OK… 3, 3 and a half stars… but two?! No, Sir. Cool

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I quite liked BS2 when I started replaying it. Until the jungle. I’m so fed up with the jungle. But yeah, it’s a decent game and without some of the tedious jungle parts it would be clearly above average.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I can’t believe that BS2 only got a 2 star rating here - I don’t understand as in my mind it was almost as good as the 1st game & oh joy! (when I finally managed to find a version of it) it was more of the same so I wasn’t disappointed!  Smile

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

I haven’t played it in a while but I remember really enjoying it, finding it more fun in a way than the first game. From my memories, I’d easily give it a 4.5/5.

I would however definitely not give 4/5 to The Sleeping Dragon (it’s not bad but it’s not that good… Too many boxes…)

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

While no-one can deny that it isn’t as good a game as the first one it’s still a really good game in my book. 4.5 stars for me!

I know what you mean about the “frantic” charm diego, BS2 was a little lacking in purpose and pacing compared to BS1.

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 117

Joined 2006-12-03

PM

Even if it would be “overrated” (I don’t know of any serious gamer or review calling it a “masterpiece”), 2 out of 5 is plain silly. As is the review itself. It’s not the only failed one at AG, as was shown in quite some comments (shown until recently, but apparently causing heart failure by some). Side note about the comparisons with BS1: it would be exaggerated to call BS2 a by-product, but there was much less money and time to develop it. Still a pretty good and enjoyable game (4/5).

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

About the game itself, well, it’s not great but come on - even Flight of the Amazon Queen and Runaway 2 got 3.5 stars.

And maybe it’s just today but George Stobbart reminds me of someone else…

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

Nancy Drew and the Haunted Mansion got a 4.5 star rating.  Mini Smile

(please don’t ban me. I love you AG forums)

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Origami - 11 January 2016 12:16 PM

Nancy Drew and the Haunted Mansion got a 4.5 star rating.  Mini Smile

(please don’t ban me. I love you AG forums)

I would never suggest that BS2 was a masterpiece but it was a very nice follow-up to the 1st game that (as said already) I wasn’t disappointed with as it was more of the same which I was quite happy with!

I see where you’re coming from Origami on the scoring system - in my mind BS2 should only have been at the most 1/2 point behind the 1st one! But to continue shaking the bone in your mouth as regards to the Nancy Drew game which is a very well structured adventure indicates that you’re not really embracing the variety of presentation styles.

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

chrissie - 11 January 2016 01:54 PM

But to continue shaking the bone in your mouth as regards to the Nancy Drew game which is a very well structured adventure indicates that you’re not really embracing the variety of presentation styles.

Though very tempted, I will not go into this and spare everyone the trouble.  Sarcastic 

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Oscar - 11 January 2016 11:43 AM

About the game itself, well, it’s not great but come on - even Flight of the Amazon Queen and Runaway 2 got 3.5 stars.

I can’t speak for Runaway 2, but FotAQ deserves better than 3.5. Wink

Oscar - 11 January 2016 11:43 AM

And maybe it’s just today but George Stobbart reminds me of someone else…

Stobbart is nowhere near as cool as the Thin White Duke, though.

Origami - 11 January 2016 02:38 PM

Though very tempted, I will not go into this in respect to for my fellow AG’s Sarcastic

I thought you already did! Wink Grin

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

TimovieMan - 11 January 2016 02:39 PM

I thought you already did! Wink Grin

Yes, and I was (unjustfully imo) called out for trolling and the topic was closed.
I respect the decision and the moderators so I try not to bother with it any further.
Innocent

Total Posts: 2063

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

A bit silly, but very beautiful, “feel-good” adventure for true romantics. One of the last of its kind. Also very funny. I remember laughing my pants off, following the misadventures of George and his lucky piece of coal. It came out in a year after the first game, and I couldn’t wish for a better sequel at the time, even though I didn’t realise those were the last days for such professionally made hand-drawn 2D ags.

PC means personal computer

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

BTW, I was wrong - the game isn’t underrated. It’s got 9/10 on Steam, 4/5 on Mobygames, and even 8.2 Users score on Metacritic. It holds 69/100 on Metacritic Metascore partly because of AG’s 40/100 which is the lowest of the scores counted.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top