• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Wednesday 6 January

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Mata Hari: Betrayal is only a kiss away is a game that I have somewhat mixed opinions of, but it did have some very novel ideas when it came to puzzles.

Instead of the inventory only containing physical items, it also contain more abstract concepts, like topics of conversations, ideas or task that she needs to perform. These concepts will then be placed on the inventory bar and can be used in the same manner that you can use physical objects, or be used during conversations.

For example in the above scene from very early in the game, Mata need some introductions in order to persuade one of the guest to manage her career as an exotic dancer, but she can’t just walk up to people and bluntly ask for one, first she needs to engage them in some small talk. So different small talk items like Paris or fashion is added to the inventory and she can use them on different persons to engage in small talk before asking them for an introduction. And later in the same scene Mata will also need a pen so of course an icon of a pen is added to the inventory, so she can ask people if they have a pen she can borrow.

Another concept that is also use extensively throughout the game, is feminine charm or seduction!
During the course of the game, Mata will have to seduce quite a lot of different men and even charm a women or two. So obviously a charm/seduce icon will be available on the inventory bar for most of game, but despite what some might think, not all men are the same, so she will also have to chooses the right method of seduction, which once again is represented by different icons.

Of course having these ideas and abstract concepts on the inventory bar as icons, is in practice really not that much different form simply having them appear on a standard dialogue wheel. But imo it still adds an extra dimension, where instead of just talking to people and seeing what topics pop up, it forces you to think more about where you are going to use these different icons, like who you should ask to borrow a pen from or how you are going to seduce someone.

I am quite surprised that this isn’t a concept that others haven’t picked up, and that it haven’t been used in other games (that I know of).

Apart from this concept, I have to say that the game is a bit of a mixed bag, there is some good puzzles, a story and protagonist that is loosely based on a real infamous person, different endings based on your performance, and the game is overall not outright bad. But it is unfortunately also marred by some stupid mini-games, the worst being one you have to play every time you travel by train .. and you do travel quite a lot! 

Ohh .. and since the screenshot of the day is a bit boring given the nature of the game, here is a somewhat more exciting screenshot:

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

Iznogood - 06 January 2016 10:18 AM

I am quite surprised that this isn’t a concept that others haven’t picked up, and that it haven’t been used in other games (that I know of).

Resonance?

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Antrax - 06 January 2016 10:47 AM

Resonance?

Absolutely, although Resonance did it so much better I think.

So many bad things about Mata Hari, such as travelling to another country to use a telephone, the silly dancing routine thing and - as you say - the train travel. It looks quite cool and there are some redeeming features I think such as the attempt at innovation but on the whole it’s not a good game.

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

I hated the game, even though I hadn’t given it a proper chance. But man, the first 10 minutes at the ball or something… so boring, and I didn’t like the symbol icons, nor the fact that I believe Mata Hari was one of the first games that introduced the “colored” hotspots corresponding to proper “inventory” item.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Intense Degree - 06 January 2016 10:53 AM
Antrax - 06 January 2016 10:47 AM

Resonance?

Absolutely, although Resonance did it so much better I think.

What Resonance did was very different from how this worked in Mata Hari IIRC, but yes, there are others games like Resonance and Discworld Noir, that has also tried using different ideas instead of standard inventory and dialogue wheels, but not the same way it works in MH.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top